Author Topic: Marking a brompton seatpost.  (Read 15948 times)

Re: Marking a brompton seatpost.
« Reply #25 on: 03 April, 2022, 12:49:02 pm »
Yes, see my last paragraph :)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #26 on: 03 April, 2022, 02:24:37 pm »
Yes, see my last paragraph :)

Sorry for some reason my mind totally blanked that out :facepalm:

« Reply #27 on: 03 April, 2022, 08:34:02 pm »
Or, for two riders, I've got an after-market graduated seat post in the shed. Never used. You're welcome to try it, as I shan't use it. I bought it because I wanted a black one, but didn't realise that it wouldn't be flared (so the seat insert won't work). It's a bit longer than the standard posts I normally use. I think it's alloy, can check.

I may take you up on that offer, depending how we get on, thank you. As person two will have their saddle height quite low, it should be easier to estimate visually or with a hand width or something. I see how I get on with the insert for myself and how easy it is to quickly judge the lower of the two heights needed.

Another Brompton question - my partner has quite small hands. I see the levers are adjustable for reach. But they could do with being rotated up. Ae there any drawbacks to rotating them as far as they will go without making contact with anything when folded? i.e. does it mess up the cable runs or anything else?

« Reply #28 on: 03 April, 2022, 10:37:43 pm »
I did that to try to get a more comfortable and effective braking position. As you say, the limit is where the levers touch the wheel when folded. Otherwise, I've had no issue.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 04 April, 2022, 12:10:23 am »
As person two will have their saddle height quite low, it should be easier to estimate visually or with a hand width or something.

I have, in the past, used a Mk 1 bit of string cut to the right length, as a reference for this sort of thing.

Another Brompton question - my partner has quite small hands. I see the levers are adjustable for reach. But they could do with being rotated up. Ae there any drawbacks to rotating them as far as they will go without making contact with anything when folded? i.e. does it mess up the cable runs or anything else?

It's just that you can't rotate them very far without making contact with something while folded.  Hence the awkward position.  (I can reach them okay, but find the poor ergonomics results in fatigue/cramps with repeated use.)

« Reply #30 on: 05 April, 2022, 11:54:35 am »
Thanks all. I had red somewhere that it's not just the lever touching something when folded that is the problem when it comes to the levers, it's that when you move them it affects the cable run somehow. Anyhoo, I can just try it.

I have, in the past, used a Mk 1 bit of string cut to the right length, as a reference for this sort of thing.

Noted.

I think after a bit of fettling, brake lever adjustment, attaching of lights, and additional folding practice, we may be almost ready to move beyond merely admiring our Brompton, resplendent and shiny in our living room, towards actually riding it.