Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 128752 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
4.  Three of them guesses.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I look forward to your explanation of the Bongcloud opening.

That's not a chess opening. It's a sexual deviation.
That's never stopped you in the past!  :o

Ooooh! You said you'd never tell!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Harsh but fair.

He probably didn't see it coming
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
It's Swinedun Town vs Man City tonight, in Swindon.  Swindon are on a bit of a roll right now so the Mancs may not get away with fielding an under-21s team.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Has Kim been trying to watch the rugball?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60229589
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

This would have been easier a couple of years ago.  Ireland would have been the team with the ball.  Bit harder to predict just now.  England could wear any clash at all - they'd be the ones giving away penalties.

Not a good day yesterday: England, Wigan, Yeovil...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Has Kim been trying to watch the rugball?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60229589

Wrong kind of colourblindness, I think.  And is it even rugball if everyone doesn't end up mud-coloured by half time?

Cudzoziemiec

Oh I thought you were red-green. But good point about the mud.

Cudzoziemiec

Seems the joint bid by England-Scotland-Wales-N.ireland-Ireland to hose Euro 2028 is going to win because... it's the only one. Has the glamour of hosting big sporting events gone?

Ed: It seems UEFA is to blame. They "enthusiastically supported" this bid, obviously putting others off.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Seems the joint bid by England-Scotland-Wales-N.ireland-Ireland to hose Euro 2028 is going to win because... it's the only one. Has the glamour of hosting big sporting events gone?

Ed: It seems UEFA is to blame. They "enthusiastically supported" this bid, obviously putting others off.

I suppose with its 24 team format since 2016 then probably only Italy, England, Spain, France & Germany could host it alone.  France had 2016, Germany have 2024 and England had the (three) lions share of 2020/1.

Given the established practice now of host teams having to qualify, it will be less of a spectacle if the majority of host nations dont in fact make it to the finals.  Im assuming that England could be pretty much guaranteed to do so fielding a "B" team in qualifying but while Wales and Scotland qualified in 2020 they are hardly shoe ins generally, ditto the two Irelands.

EDIT - after the scenes at the Final of Euro 2020 at Wembley Im surprised that UEFA would sanction a repeat a mere 7 years later.  Maybe the final will be held at another venue. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
This Unit hopes they hold the final in That Scotland, that they have now, just to annoy the Tories :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
This Unit hopes they hold the final in That Scotland, that they have now, just to annoy the Tories :demon:

Dublin.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
One of my Y7 pupils had a trial for Scotland girls football squad last week. You'd expect that with a name Rosa Campagnolo she'd be more into cycling...  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Oh I thought you were red-green. But good point about the mud.

Yes, but there's "red-green colourblindness" where your green receptors respond to redder wavelengths (the most common form), and there's "red-green colourblindness" where your red receptors respond to greener wavelengths (the one I have).  Also two other forms of "red-green colourblindness" where you have no functioning red or green receptors at all, respectively.

(click to show/hide)

In real life, it's bright-green/yellow and blue/purple I have most trouble discriminating.  If I get red or green muddled up, it's usually knowing where red becomes brown (eg. spotting cricket balls on a muddy field) or green becomes grey.  And in the case of the primary-red rugball shirts, I'm still seeing them as primary red, but somewhat darker than most people, which can help me to discriminate from a green of equivalent intensity, in a way a deutanerope wouldn't be able to.

Cudzoziemiec

Thanks for the explanation Kim but I can only claim to understand an approximation.

Cudzoziemiec

I've just discovered that there is a football club called Sporting Khalsa. I'm not sure how many of their current squad are Sikh, certainly not all and probably not most.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Football result:

(click to show/hide)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
I've just discovered that there is a football club called Sporting Khalsa. I'm not sure how many of their current squad are Sikh, certainly not all and probably not most.
I became aware of them earlier this season in September, when they dumped the team I support out of the FA Cup. The summary of one of my fellow supporters on his trip there (ignoring his disgust at our team's performance):
Friendly club, run by local Indians. Very reasonably priced admission, scantily clad barmaid in the clubhouse and equally tasty samosas at the snack bar.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

Ha! The tastiest samosas in Bristol come from a place run by devout Sikhs – a big notice behind the counter asks customers not to bring alcohol, tobacco and meat into the shop – but the staff are quite modestly dressed.

Another win for Newcastle Arabia tonight, at the expense of Crystal Palace.  It's an intriguing season and, regrettably, it would take a freak series of results for NA to be relegated, now.  But technically nobody from 9th down (Leicester) is safe.

The manager of Crawley United, John Yems, has been suspended for discriminatory behaviour.
John was in my class at secondary school.

You should be ok if you didn't inhale.

Cudzoziemiec

Gas rising isn't just hot air!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Warning: fupbol result.

(click to show/hide)