Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279667 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Rain started here in Maidstone a few minutes ago. This is annoying as it very much reduces the choice of things you can do all day with a two-year-old.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
You could stick your wellies on and go puddle-jumping and feeding the ducks?   8)
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Didn't bring wellies but the rain has stopped and we are now National Trusting it with all the other middle-class grandparents at Knole, near Sevenoaks. It's about as genteel as you can get without involving Simon Legg.

I reckon that we MCMWGPs are the mainstay of the National Trust.

Outside now.
Big, blobby, ploppy, summery raindrops.
Lovely.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Ooh yes. We had that here about 3.00. Summer rain is a lovely thing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Arrived here a bit before 8pm.  Brought the asthma with it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
There was a damned good thunderstorm in Maidstone before we left. It was remarkably humid. Today seems much cooler.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Some time between 19:45 and ~23:00 it must have binned down in BSE but it had all gone by the time the gig finished.  A pity, since Nigel Blackwell took the opportunity to admonish an audience member for coming out without a jacket before relating the tale of wearing two jumpers to a Dead Kennedys gig.  "I got a lot of stick for that - at least until we got off the night bus!"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I believe we were all jacket-free, but escaped NB10's wrath. The B&B was <5 minutes from the gig, so worth the risk. It certainly made up for it on Saturday morning in BSE where it pissed down during my morning constitutional. Jacket and waxed Brazilian tarp hat both donned.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Edinburgh is doing the chilly and muggy at the same time thing again.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Just got July's weather data in for our site station. We have just passed 2014 to make this the wettest year so far in the 10 years I have recorded. :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Chris S

So. Just a few days ago, the Metoffice were downplaying Tropical Storm "Joaquin".

"We don't expect this to develop into a hurricane, but there could be some disruptive weather along the East coast of USA". Fair enough, it's an El-Nino year which generally leads to suppressed hurricane activity.

A few days later, Joaquin is a Cat 4 hurricane, giving the Bahamas a right going over.

Now they are suggesting the tropical remnants will be collected by the jet stream, and delivered unto our shores next weekend. Just in time for the Dufton camping weekend in fact  :thumbsup:.

Just got July's weather data in for our site station. We have just passed 2014 to make this the wettest year so far in the 10 years I have recorded. :(
The vale of york has been both drier and warmer than in previous 10 years.

September and October are bucking the trend.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Middle Earth is currently under bombardment by ridiculous amounts of dihydrogen monoxide.

Guy

• Retired
Middle Earth is currently under bombardment by ridiculous amounts of dihydrogen monoxide.
The next lot has just arrived here. Judging by the wind speed and direction and the time of your last post you should get it about 3pm. It's definately Japanese car parts* out there

*Raining Datsun cogs :P
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Guy

• Retired
The Hemel Hempstead Gazette getting it in early...

WEATHER WARNING: Months of heavy snowfall as worst winter in 50 years forecast

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/more-news/weather-warning-months-of-heavy-snowfall-as-worst-winter-in-50-years-forecast-1-7007468

Has anyone else seen this Daily Fail / Daily Excess-style scaremongering in your local area?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The Torygraph is claiming the same thing on the grounds that it's unusually nippy for the time of year in Siberia.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

It's going to be an interesting winter for sure. The developing El Nino looks like being a monster - and it already seems to have killed Atlantic hurricane development stone dead.

North Atlantic sea temperatures are below normal (have been since the exceptional cold in Canada last winter) and won't be warmed much if the flux out of the tropics is weak because of El Nino.

All points to a weakened and fragmented jet stream - so could well be a cold one, if High pressure dominates.

So. Just a few days ago, the Metoffice were downplaying Tropical Storm "Joaquin".

"We don't expect this to develop into a hurricane, but there could be some disruptive weather along the East coast of USA". Fair enough, it's an El-Nino year which generally leads to suppressed hurricane activity.

A few days later, Joaquin is a Cat 4 hurricane, giving the Bahamas a right going over.

Now they are suggesting the tropical remnants will be collected by the jet stream, and delivered unto our shores next weekend. Just in time for the Dufton camping weekend in fact  :thumbsup:.

Just spotted this - I'm glad you were wrong, Chris!

Chris S

Just spotted this - I'm glad you were wrong, Chris!

Me too!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's going to be an interesting winter for sure. The developing El Nino looks like being a monster - and it already seems to have killed Atlantic hurricane development stone dead.

North Atlantic sea temperatures are below normal (have been since the exceptional cold in Canada last winter) and won't be warmed much if the flux out of the tropics is weak because of El Nino.

All points to a weakened and fragmented jet stream - so could well be a cold one, if High pressure dominates.

Yeahbut I now own *two* sets of studded tyres.  That has to count for something.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
When I walked past the statue of Greyfriars Bobby yesterday, it had been wrapped in a space blanket and someone had used proper Cooncil paper to post a notice saying he was wrapped up for protection because of the weather forecast.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
That will be Greyfriar's Kirk, where my partner's Mass in C was performed.

Guy

• Retired
It looks odd out there. The wind's changing. The clouds are heading a couple of points south of west while the flags are pointing a couple of points east of south. Weird!

ian

A strange, dense fog surged up the valley this morning. Fortunately it didn't contain the ghosts of vengeful pirates.

This time.