Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 151532 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #1225 on: 14 May, 2022, 09:24:56 pm »
I noticed a big blister in my front tyre today. Not sure how long it's been there. I only noticed it as I was cleaning the bike.

Anyway, this is what it looks like:

To touch it's like a big squidgy, puss filled zit! Is it going to explode if I ride it? I'm assuming the safest course of action is a new tyre. It's a Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season 11Storm....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1226 on: 14 May, 2022, 09:50:03 pm »
poke it and see

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1227 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:05:24 pm »
I noticed a big blister in my front tyre today.
To touch it's like a big squidgy, puss filled zit!

Oh, for heaven's sake, just squeeze it!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1228 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:05:32 pm »
I had that once with a g-one where the outer separated from the carcass. Long time ago.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1229 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:19:08 pm »
I noticed a big blister in my front tyre today. Not sure how long it's been there. I only noticed it as I was cleaning the bike.

Anyway, this is what it looks like:

To touch it's like a big squidgy, puss filled zit! Is it going to explode if I ride it? I'm assuming the safest course of action is a new tyre. It's a Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season 11Storm....

Joy - another failure mode.

You need to lance the blister - and n video please and the. Share with us all.

« Reply #1230 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:25:53 pm »
I think I'll order some new tyres first - then I'll squeeze it!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #1231 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:15:40 am »
Back to the Gravel Kings – they are very floppy and that seems to be the problem. Mind you, the rear seems to be seated okay on an identical rim. I hadn't considered distortion to the rim but while riding yesterday I could see the front wheel now needs truing; nothing too serious just a bit of wibble.

However, the back, which is tubeless, went fairly soft about three quarters of the way through the ride. I'd done 50 or 60 miles and it had been fine, then felt soft. No visible puncture or sealant on the outside. I put some more air in, after which it was fine – just been out to check it this morning and it seems to be holding pressure overnight – but as I took the cap off, I saw the valve nut was undone! I think it had probably come undone as I took the cap off, but it's possible I had failed to do it up after pumping the tyres up that morning. I'm really not sure what the effect would be of riding with an loose valve nut, as you need to depress the core to release air – so theoretically nothing should happen. ???
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #1232 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:56:43 pm »
Muc-off now do a resealable pouch of sealant with a Presta valve adaptor for emergency refills on the road.  I have bought one and seems a good idea for long distance touring where you have put a plug in but have lost sealant.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1233 on: 15 May, 2022, 05:18:53 pm »
What actually happens if you mix sealants? Is it like crossing the streams?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1234 on: 15 May, 2022, 06:35:34 pm »
Some are ammonia based, others are not; synthetic latex, natural latex, no latex, you name it they got it. Mixing may work, give a water/oil result, or instant hardening, or dissolve your tyre, or cause total protonic reversal.

Completely unrelated, but based on very recent experience: anchovies (worms, whatever you call them) have limited shelf live. They get less flexible and won't peel off the plastic anymore. Also: don't try to make the hole of the tool to push the worm through any larger, not even gently. The result will only be useful to skewer olives (the tasty kind).