Author Topic: Moors and Wolds 400  (Read 6933 times)

Re: Moors and Wolds 400
« Reply #50 on: 18 May, 2022, 09:16:12 am »
Now there’s a million dollar question.

I never really enjoyed uphills on my Fuego.  It was brilliant at downhills and more aero on the flat / faster than my newer recumbent in that terrain. But on uphills it felt like I’d chucked an anchor out the back, and a couple of drone parachutes for good measure.

I think I would have made it round in the (BR) time limits,  but not with as comfortable a gap. I’d almost certainly ended up walking two or three of the Howardian hills and Staxton hill in the Yorkshire Wolds.  I might have also walked some hills near the end on the Fuego. I remember on my Fuego on Flatlands 600 in 2019 I was slow up some Essex hills at the end, and the hills on this are mostly (but not all) steeper and longer.

I will add that from late November 19 I went exclusively recumbent for vast majority of my riding, maybe as high as 80-90%, and 100% for audax. Thus it may just be that 2.5 years of solid recumbent riding has developed my bent legs in a way I never developed them on my Fuego.

On my current recumbent I enjoy the hills, and even chevron ones hold no fears. I do notice how much lighter it is. I’m also a fairly light (male) rider at 73kg, a heavier (more powerful) rider would notice less difference with a heavier recumbent.

The other thing with the Fuego was that with the long mono tubing and suspension the boom / frame  did flex when trying to put power in uphill. The newer recumbent is a space frame design, no suspension, and much stiffer. I’m not consciously aware of flex as I push the pedals up hills.

« Reply #51 on: 18 May, 2022, 09:32:35 am »
Now must get receipts and card done and posted today.  But first, time to head out for a 2-3 hour ride this morning.

« Reply #52 on: 18 May, 2022, 09:54:40 am »
  Wasn’t that spray gravelled section after Stamford Bridge delightful?   
Bog standard road refurbishment practice in most of North Yorkshire. Near us they did that on one of the hottest days of the year.
The chippings formed into clumps and ridges that were never remedied .
They give you advance warning by marking the roads with a white spray paint and the code S/D.
Just occasionally, they do the full scrape and relay with decent macadam but the road has to be REALLY bad to justify that.
Expect to have at least one section on LEL.

« Reply #53 on: 18 May, 2022, 01:52:44 pm »
I’m expecting to play bingo and call full house on road surfaces over the course of LEL. Need to produce my bingo card  ;D

« Reply #54 on: 19 May, 2022, 10:20:49 am »
Receipts marked up, and scanned, and finally posted with brevet card.