Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888006 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1375 on: 30 August, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
Hell, yeah!

Eighty something miles from Greenwich, circuiting the Hoo Peninsula, and back with Barry and the Southwark Cyclists Crew.
Embellished at chosen points with readings by Germanda Speedwell (performance artist).
Unusual, but most enjoyable and hugely informative.
A swift sprint home from Gravesend accompanied by Sgt. Pluck and one other.
A fantastic sunset to ride into when homeward bound.

Top day out.

« Reply #1376 on: 30 August, 2008, 11:15:24 pm »
circuiting the Hoo Peninsula, with readings by Germanda Speedwell (performance artist)

;D ;D  ;D   ...sorry! It could only happen on a Southwarks cyclists' ride.

« Reply #1377 on: 30 August, 2008, 11:19:46 pm »
circuiting the Hoo Peninsula, with readings by Germanda Speedwell (performance artist)

;D ;D  ;D   ...sorry! It could only happen on a Southwarks cyclists' ride.

Of course  :)

« Reply #1378 on: 30 August, 2008, 11:27:09 pm »
I couldn't hear her very well, lost interest, and found that I had Things That Needed to be Adjusted.

Was that place we went to for lunch real:D

« Reply #1379 on: 31 August, 2008, 12:07:54 am »
Nope.

Mostly fabricated from polycarbonate and acrylic sheet.
Neither of which are fit for human consumption.

As well you know......

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1380 on: 31 August, 2008, 07:11:10 am »
I couldn't hear her very well, lost interest, and found that I had Things That Needed to be Adjusted.

Was that place we went to for lunch real:D

And the crazy golf- I'm sorry, it was so wrong. 

« Reply #1381 on: 31 August, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »
a very sweaty 45 miles this morning,  I think I've lost about half my body weight in salt. 

There were loads of other bikes out, if the bloke who re-overtook me near the top of the hill heading up out of saffron walden is reading, the reason you caught me so quickly is cos my chain fell off.. Honest. 

« Reply #1382 on: 31 August, 2008, 01:16:28 pm »
Took Margaret Hilda Daisy out for a first 'proper' spin this morning.   Mostly fine but we did manage to literally rip a large chunk out of the granny ring.   

Only did a 20 but it was worth the effort to note the things that we need to do / change.  the rain has set in here now so our timing was perfect  8) 

Oh, she rides beautifully.  :)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1383 on: 31 August, 2008, 01:30:18 pm »
Just pootled along the sea front to the LBS to get Mrs. TKP some arm warmers. Combined it with a bit of shopping and a visit to Mum. Twas very pleasant, even though we did get a bit damp. Lots of family groups out today, one particular chap of about four seemed to be having a very nice time, despite the rain. He gave us a very cheery Hiya! I love it when that happens.

« Reply #1384 on: 31 August, 2008, 01:46:17 pm »
Yep, 42 dryish miles.  I got the TCR out, lighted her up and then went to the loo prior to getting changed.  In that time the fog / mist had changed to rain.
I put the TCR away and got the MonstaThorn out and lighted her up instead.  It stopped raining while I did this but the road was quite wet.
Rode the Thorn.  3 miles down the road I left the rain soaked road behind.  20 odd miles in dry conditions before coming back to wet roads.
At the cafe it rained again so I was chuffed that I'd ridden the Thorn.
I didn't get wet though.

« Reply #1385 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:37:31 pm »
47 wet miles. Cheltenham, NE to A40, Whittington, Brockhampton, Hawling, Snowshill,
Broadway, B4632 to Winchcombe, Prestbury, home. Should have gone to Chipping Norton
but I wanted to get home early to take advantage of the FREE use of the sports centre
after its (re)opening today. Feel relaxed after the sauna.

« Reply #1386 on: 31 August, 2008, 04:13:01 pm »
I did 47 as well, but at least 40 miles were in the dry :thumbsup:

« Reply #1387 on: 31 August, 2008, 04:46:36 pm »
38 miles through the North York Moors. No rain until this afternoon up here, so got round in the dry.

Also managed to make it up Boltby Bank for the first time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1388 on: 31 August, 2008, 07:07:01 pm »
I just had a brief sea-front pootle to bring my miles over 600 for the month. I couldn't be arsed to do the other 13 or so to complete 4000 for the year.

On the way home I passed a group of yoofs who were chucking crab apples at each other. I knew one or more were coming my way, but the only one which came near was neatly sliced by my front spokes.

What did surprise me was the remark. Not Santa, not Grandad, not even Radovan Karadžić, but... Harold Shipman! ???
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1389 on: 31 August, 2008, 07:14:55 pm »
Just been out for a swift 25 miles on Seth with his shiny new matching Charge bartape and saddle. Oh, I love riding fixed!

« Reply #1390 on: 31 August, 2008, 07:16:54 pm »
Only about 8 miles, confusing the drivers of Croydon, who don't expect a bike to be towing a trailer. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1391 on: 31 August, 2008, 09:03:57 pm »
Aye.  From Darlo, up to Toft Hill, Hag Howl, Hamsterley, Hoppyland, Wolsingham, Stanhope, Bollihope, Egglestone, Staindrop, home.

Took in one of my favourite local roads, over Bollihope Common from Stanhope to Eggleston.  Shame the cloud was so low, as the views are usually spectacular:

60 miles, 1200 metres of climbing, 3hrs 52 minutes.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1392 on: 31 August, 2008, 09:15:28 pm »
35 or so miles around the Kent lanes south of Otford, stopping for lunch at the lovely Golding Hop pub.  Great cider from the wood - (they do proper ale as well apparently but I don't understand that stuff) Made it a bit hard to get up the hill on the way back but once that's done it's a great glide along the Pilgrim's way.  Was tempted just to head back over the North downs and  ride back to SE London.  However, we did have at least one person in the group who was new to longer distances so we just gazed at the Downs which rise up aboeve the Way for about 3 or 4 miles. And headed for the train back.  The" ten days rain in one day" we were expecting never materialised- great cycling weather. great company, great pub, lovely hills,  beautiful descents, through orchards heavy with apples.  Love it.

« Reply #1393 on: 31 August, 2008, 09:37:46 pm »
I rode the Cumberland Challenge. Cracking ride even though it was very wet for about half of the ride.

I improved on last year's time by 1h30'. Well chuffed even though a lot of that can be accounted for by the much better riding conditions.

2009: A bit of sun and no rain for 50 miles? pleeeeaaase  :-[

gotr

« Reply #1394 on: 01 September, 2008, 10:42:27 am »
Rode the Tourmalet again, its the only way home......

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1395 on: 01 September, 2008, 10:58:39 am »
Back from a week of no cycling in Spain, I got up fairly sharpish and did 55km out and around the Ashdown Forest. Stopped in Forest Row to see Darth Ian, bought some new brake cables. Tried to buy a new cone too, but no luck. Back for coffee and tea cakes for brekko.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1396 on: 01 September, 2008, 05:10:57 pm »
About 18 miles, just pottering around going to a few shops (including the LBS to get a new gear lever for my son's bike).

After popping into Tesco's to get some shirts for his school uniform (yes, I know I've left it to the last minute) I found they'd replaced the normal bike stands made out of the thick tubing similar to the enclosures holding the trollies, with a pathetic rectangle of light tubing.  It would only be able to fit 4 bikes and the thing wasn't even bolted to the ground, so anyone could have just turned up and lifted it all into a van. 

After locking my bike to the back of the trolley park, I made a swift complaint to Customer Services.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1397 on: 01 September, 2008, 07:03:09 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I, on tandem, normal pootle.

Very windy at times, but we averaged over 12 mph! 16.48 miles in 1h 22m 05s. We were belting along the sea front at about 22 mph for a couple of miles, much to the amusement of a number of motorists. One didn't find it so amusing: she decided, in the common manner, that we were only cyclists and could easily be overtaken and suddenly found herself with a bollard looming and nowhere to go but back behind us again.

The last couple of miles were a real slog, mostly uphill and into the wind. My aim at the half-way point was to keep our riding average over 11 mph, but we did rather better than that. The legs are feeling it now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #1398 on: 01 September, 2008, 07:06:30 pm »
Only as far as the paper shop

It's been bucketing down all day - the moorhens have left the pond and are marauding round the garden cos it's wetter :)

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1399 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:21:14 am »
Yesterday climbed over the downs at Arundel. Rode around the lanes before taking Duncton Hill. I did stop at the viewing platform, because the view is fantastic, especially with the shadows of clouds skittering around the valley. A couple more hills and then home, windy it twas but also stayed dry....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....