Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 942106 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8725 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:53:13 pm »
Netflix turbotrainer fodder, The Rezort, classic zombie stuff with Dougray Scott doing a reasonable impression of Dougray Scott, and Claire Goose popping up for the first time in however to get eaten by a zombie.

On plane and train this evening, Arctic with Mads Mikkelson doing a decent resolute and taciturn, with very few words. Pretty much as I expected and pretty decent overall.  Not sure I could have looked much more haggard myself.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8726 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:14:02 pm »
Ad Astra

A triumph

And *that* is how review quotes are made ...

(I actually thought Ad Astra would have been a really good short.)

« Reply #8727 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:22:08 pm »
Visually stunning.

Oh yes, it was beautifully shot and (from that point of view at least) well worth seeing on a big screen. Dear god but it was tedious though.

« Reply #8728 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:23:27 pm »
Rise of Skywalker. Better than expected and a good way to end it.

Pretty much. It was utter bollocks, but fairly entertaining bollocks

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8729 on: 11 January, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, one of our favourites.  Sad to see just now that Lady Chablis died in 2016 - she was great.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #8730 on: 16 January, 2020, 08:07:29 pm »
at a loose end watched 1917 this evening.

I can quite see why it's been so highly lauded. Could have easily been 20-30 mins shorter though. What is it with directors these days trying to see who can make the longest film?

« Reply #8731 on: 16 January, 2020, 10:03:31 pm »
Casablanca again , just perfect.    I seem to be going through a B&W phase at the moment.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8732 on: 16 January, 2020, 11:15:42 pm »
at a loose end watched 1917 this evening.

I can quite see why it's been so highly lauded. Could have easily been 20-30 mins shorter though. What is it with directors these days trying to see who can make the longest film?

It’s one take and they still had film in the can?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8733 on: 17 January, 2020, 06:16:41 am »

It’s one take and they still had film in the can?

This is actually one of the reasons that films are getting longer. They're no longer restricted to length of the reels. Adding an extra reel would add a significant cost to the distribution, but this is no longer a concern.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8734 on: 17 January, 2020, 09:52:13 am »
Rewatched Goodfellas. Scum of the earth being scum of the earth. Well done, though.

« Reply #8735 on: 18 January, 2020, 12:12:44 am »
Casablanca again , just perfect.    I seem to be going through a B&W phase at the moment.

"The Maltese Falcon"...  Pretty good.     

Watching this sort of thing set in 1940's America reminds me of one of my favourite series of detective stories.  Walter Mosley's ""Easy Rawlins" books.  Starting in the late 40's and running to the 60's they show a very different side of American life, where being born Black means living with the constant knowledge that the police can & will kill you with impunity if you upset them.  Sadly only the first book "Devil In a Blue Dress" was filmed.

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_in_a_Blue_Dress_(film)

« Reply #8736 on: 18 January, 2020, 09:53:21 pm »

Very immersive, and well done - filmed (Roger Deakins) with no cutaways.  A good few well known actors with relatively minor parts.

*Bloke sitting next to me decided he'd tuck into two small bags of popcorn/crisps, mid film - rustling away, as if he was the only person in the cinema...   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8737 on: 18 January, 2020, 11:06:16 pm »
Terminator: Dark Fate

Finally, a Terminator 2 sequel that isn't awful.  What it lacks in originality (which is most things) it makes up for in Sarah Connor being badass.  Does what it says on the tin.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8738 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:48:49 am »
The Illusionist.  Not the Edward Norton vehicle but a delicate animated film about the declining fortunes of a stage magician. Mostly set in late 1950s Edinburgh, with great depictions of the city as MrsT and I knew it in the late 60s. Done by the same bunch as Les Triplettes de Belleville.

Also dipped into the CGI-fest The Great Wall but the dialogue was so awful I baled once the initial battle was over. Why the hell do they splurge on actors and FX then get a script that would disgrace the back of a cornflakes packet?

ElyDave

« Reply #8739 on: 19 January, 2020, 09:42:02 am »

Very immersive, and well done - filmed (Roger Deakins) with no cutaways.  A good few well known actors with relatively minor parts.

*Bloke sitting next to me decided he'd tuck into two small bags of popcorn/crisps, mid film - rustling away, as if he was the only person in the cinema...

I know other people who have said it was very uncomfortable on the individual horror stakes, but for me it was the whole futility of it expressed in the final scene by Ben Cucumber, " so we don't go today, but tomorrow it'll be absolutely vital"

I really didn't notice the lack of cuts though while watching it.

« Reply #8740 on: 19 January, 2020, 11:48:49 am »

I know other people who have said it was very uncomfortable on the individual horror stakes, but for me it was the whole futility of it expressed in the final scene by Ben Cucumber, " so we don't go today, but tomorrow it'll be absolutely vital"

I really didn't notice the lack of cuts though while watching it.

Apparently filmed in 8 min segments, and stitched together using 'transitions' e.g. camera panning across an object etc. 

My daughter, thinking back to one particular scene, said afterwards, something like  'if there were more women in charge perhaps there would be fewer wars'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #8741 on: 19 January, 2020, 11:26:21 pm »
Pretty sure it's a lot more than 8.

« Reply #8742 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:43:14 am »
"The French Connection".   New York before it was safe. Roy Schieder & Gene Hackman without wrinkles.    Another one I don't think I've seen before.  Good flick.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8743 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:56:53 am »
Pretty sure it's a lot more than 8.

Yup, definitely more than 8 wars.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8744 on: 20 January, 2020, 06:34:19 am »
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.
Staring: Albert Finney, Shirley Ann Field, Rachel Roberts, Norman Rossington, Hilda Baker...

« Reply #8745 on: 20 January, 2020, 10:48:09 am »
The Illusionist.  Not the Edward Norton vehicle but a delicate animated film about the declining fortunes of a stage magician. Mostly set in late 1950s Edinburgh, with great depictions of the city as MrsT and I knew it in the late 60s. Done by the same bunch as Les Triplettes de Belleville.
I saw this years ago (I think I may have seen it in the cinema that features in the film?). Delicate is a good word for it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8746 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:40:15 am »
I saw this years ago (I think I may have seen it in the cinema that features in the film?). Delicate is a good word for it.

Yes, it was pleasing to see the old Cameo in... bugger... Tolcross?  We saw quite a lot of good stuff there.

I just had a look at Tolcross on Google Streetview. What a bloody shame. There used to be some nice wee shops where that glass heap is now, including a great tobacconist with some unusual pipes.

« Reply #8747 on: 20 January, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »
Ad Astra

A triumph of cargo-cult spaceflight aesthetics over such trivial matters as story, character development, the laws of physics or indeed common sense.  Tries to be Solaris and fails, leaving you with two hours of vague pop-psychology and a wide range of spacesuit abuse.

Holy crap, that was boring and utterly implausible. It was intended as a awards material and the release got postponed as it would have clashed with First Man (We did a lot of the VFX work on it..although I wasn't involved).
83% on RT...they must have bribed a lot of reviewers :D (40% audience score)

« Reply #8748 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:49:29 pm »
The Playmobil movie.  If you expected something that was riding on the coat-tails of the Lego Movie, but was not as good by half, you would not be wrong.  Still, enjoyable if you are <10.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #8749 on: 21 January, 2020, 08:15:54 pm »
1917.   Brilliantly shot, well acted & exciting.  Some suspension of disbelief required.  If British soldiers were as indestructible & lucky as one of the characters we'd have won in short order. 

WRT to a certain little known actor garnering publicity because he thought a Sikh soldier was out of place in the film, I've recently watched this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_(TV_series)  and there are a surprising number of non white faces in the original archive footage, plus lots of information about the part soldiers from the Empire played in the various fields of battle.  Well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxrk95Zsu8