Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889062 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24450 on: 04 April, 2021, 03:59:12 pm »

No, just the Cotswold Water Park one.

I don't ride to the Cotswold Water Park anymore.  Not since 2008, when I saw this:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5510.msg94127#msg94127
I've lost weight since then
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24451 on: 04 April, 2021, 04:22:04 pm »
 ;D

30 miles on the roadbikes. Just a social ride with a great friend, who is my usual surfing partner.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24452 on: 04 April, 2021, 04:52:13 pm »
;D

30 miles on the roadbikes. Just a social ride with a great friend, who is my usual surfing partner.
You trustafarian.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24453 on: 04 April, 2021, 04:53:49 pm »
Not that kind of surfing, Roger  :demon:

« Reply #24454 on: 04 April, 2021, 07:12:16 pm »
Slough, Windsor Cookham, up harvest Hill and round to Burnham and Windsor and home. Approx approx 20 miles in pleasant warm sunshine. The next few days I will be staying in by the fire I suspect   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24455 on: 04 April, 2021, 08:20:48 pm »
Yesterday, up into the hills and over England's highest through road at Coldberry End. Fair bit of snow up on the tops.

And I met a couple of clubmates when I dropped back down to Teesdale (Dave Atkinson and Mr Roberts, for those that know them), I rolled down to Middleton with Dave and had a coffee from the chippy.

Deano, is that the road from Westgate that runs to Newbiggin past the west end of Coldberry Gutter?  Or is it something even more obscure?  I have good memories of scrambling round the workings on the east end when we camped at Mickleton.  Bluebells and The Burning Hell - an unforgettable combination (or even combo. m'Lud)!

« Reply #24456 on: 04 April, 2021, 08:45:55 pm »
Out to Windsor to sit in the sun with a cup of coffee and then back with a tail wind. Beautiful.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24457 on: 04 April, 2021, 10:05:37 pm »
Yesterday, up into the hills and over England's highest through road at Coldberry End. Fair bit of snow up on the tops.

And I met a couple of clubmates when I dropped back down to Teesdale (Dave Atkinson and Mr Roberts, for those that know them), I rolled down to Middleton with Dave and had a coffee from the chippy.

Deano, is that the road from Westgate that runs to Newbiggin past the west end of Coldberry Gutter?  Or is it something even more obscure?  I have good memories of scrambling round the workings on the east end when we camped at Mickleton.  Bluebells and The Burning Hell - an unforgettable combination (or even combo. m'Lud)!

Confusingly it's not that close to Coldberry Gutter, Pete - it's the high crossing between Ireshopeburn in Weardale and the top of Teesdale (well, more like Harwooddale as the Tees is meandering round the foot of Cronkley Fell at that point), just on the Yad Moss Road. But it's marked as Coldberry End on the maps. I like to ride it every ten years or so, it's a classic.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24458 on: 04 April, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »
We are now allowed to visit our static caravan in Selsey (not stay but visit).  So used the need to do an hour and half's gardening as an excuse to ride slightly indirect routes there and back on roads I hadn't ridden since October.  On my newly refurbished Roberts Compact Audax, gleaming Flam Yellow in all directions as if to scream out "look at me".

The root ball of the sea cabbage we planted in ignorance (and had taken over the small garden by the decking at the caravan) weighed in at about 40Kg.  Do not plant these things lightly.

It was great being back on the old machine and its familiar dependency again.  There will never be another machine like it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24459 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:18:42 am »
Heigh ho.  15 years ago I used to tot up at least 500k over the Easter weekend. Yesterday I was chuffed to manage 68 geriatric kilometres and a single modest col, and managed to tear a muscle into the bargain. Anno domini is a tinker's bitch.

Was tickled all the same to fit a decent distance into the 10k-radius circle our new, shiny lockdown rules allow.  It's going to get very old before long, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24460 on: 05 April, 2021, 01:12:57 pm »
I was up super early on Friday for a full day/on the bike, just to get ready for riding audax type distances.

From home I headed up to Auchterarder where I stopped for al fresco coffee.  After that I headed through Kinkell Bridge to St Davids.  On the road to Perth I had the misfortune to hit a patch of black ice and try as I might to remain upright I took a tumble.  The only plus point is that I slid along the black ice and managed only to incur some road rash down one side and some superficial overshoe damage.  I decided to get moving quickly after this incident rather than hang about and wait to see how painful it was.  Lesson - never ride through a “puddle” when temperatures are hovering around zero. 

My tumble resulted in ginger progress through Coupar Angus to Meigle where i turned up towards Newtyle and the higher ridge road.   Id anticipated a north wind helping me along this slightly lumpier road but Id clearly got that wrong.  No matter I was loving the crystal clear views down onto Strathmore. 

Back home for dinner after a rest stop in Perth.  In tribute to Scottish audaxes of yesteryear my distance on the day was 194km.  I tried to ride it as if I were setting out to complete a 300km and my legs felt good enough to have me pencil in Sat 17th for such a DIY. 

Aches and pains from my fall appear to be worse today than yesterday or Saturday, which Im blaming in part on yesterdays Covid vaccination. 

« Reply #24461 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:35:24 pm »

Confusingly it's not that close to Coldberry Gutter, Pete - it's the high crossing between Ireshopeburn in Weardale and the top of Teesdale (well, more like Harwooddale as the Tees is meandering round the foot of Cronkley Fell at that point), just on the Yad Moss Road. But it's marked as Coldberry End on the maps. I like to ride it every ten years or so, it's a classic.

I did wonder, especially since I think my dimming eyes can make out the geo-ball on Dun Fell (also of happy camping memory!).  But, as you suggest, I was side-tracked by the name of Coldberry.

Thanks - I hope maybe to have a ride/walk up there myself sometime.

« Reply #24462 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:41:23 pm »
Yesterday (Sunday) 41 miles, Bourton-on-the-Water. Too cold today. Did a 5k on the Concept2 rower.

« Reply #24463 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:52:24 pm »
I had a very enjoyable 50 something km this afternoon. Out to Falmer, then a track over the downs, and down Streat Bostal. Then up to get a couple of vv tiles near Chailey. On the way up a farm track I became the first cyclist a small fluffy hoofed horse had met, though he didn’t seem too fussed. On Chailey common I saw a deer, then had a nice lanes ride home.

« Reply #24464 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:57:57 pm »
I had a very enjoyable 50 something km this afternoon. Out to Falmer, then a track over the downs, and down Streat Bostal. Then up to get a couple of vv tiles near Chailey. On the way up a farm track I became the first cyclist a small fluffy hoofed horse had met, though he didn’t seem too fussed. On Chailey common I saw a deer, then had a nice lanes ride home.
Was it busy on the top of the Downs ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24465 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:44:35 pm »
Was it busy on the top of the Downs ?
I saw a handful of people walking on the way up, two cyclists at the top (but I went over at a crossing, rather than going along) and one horse walker on the way down.

« Reply #24466 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:40:38 pm »
Today I donned my winter kit and rode 16 miles into a bitingly cold wind in my mountain bike. I’m glad that I’ve now stopped!

« Reply #24467 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:33:43 pm »
A gentle 13km,  which is the longest I've done since last December when something went ping in my knee.   No discomfort riding , but I think putting my left foot down hard on a stop would hurt, and I've had to replace the ATACS with flats as the rotation to unclip would be a bad idea.    I suppose I'd better make an appointment with the GP, now I'm partially vaccinated.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #24468 on: 08 April, 2021, 05:10:15 pm »
I have gotten into a routine of taking my lunchbreak on the bike, so got out today for a cold and windy 12 miles.

The lockdown pounds are strating to be shed, thankfully
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #24469 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:55:09 pm »
I have gotten into a routine of taking my lunchbreak on the bike, so got out today for a cold and windy 12 miles.

The lockdown pounds are strating to be shed, thankfully
I really need to do that.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24470 on: 09 April, 2021, 07:59:01 am »
Just under 40km last night. In fact if it hadn't been  dark and id have noticed I'd have gone up the road to make it 40km

Absolutely lovely to be out with a small group and see some folk I've not seen since pre the last lockdown

Also lovely to get most the ride in without needing big lights and wasn't too cold. Spurred on by the spring conditions was a fair bit of pissing about chasing up hills or a few sprints

Here's to summer evening rides

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24471 on: 11 April, 2021, 04:43:01 pm »
Out this morning: bit of a wind, overcast, odd raindrops, very damp chilly feeling in the air despite 11°C.  Back tyre punctured at 20k, CBA fixing it so called MrsT: "I just put some muffins in the oven, can you wait?" so I talked to some horses for half an hour. Overall verdict: bleh.  Muffins were good, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24472 on: 11 April, 2021, 04:51:40 pm »
Took advantage of the Northerly so headed South and kept going until we got to Horsham down delightful lanes South of Dorking through Holmwood and Rusper. Then onto the train home. Gorgeous.

Only slight problem was that the direct way in to Horsham was properly blocked off so we had to ride the dualled A264 and A24. There's some pig ignorant and vindictive bastards behind steering wheels out there.

A bit crap that there was no signed alternative provision for cyclists.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24473 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:29:47 pm »
Out to maidenhead Riverside, back to Eton, onwards to Twyford and back via Eton. Managed to avoid the showers in the afternoon. A flat but ride  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24474 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:54:11 pm »
Always wise to avoid the showers at Eton...

After a perfectly sensible 40km ride I got caught in a blizzard about 3km from home.