Author Topic: GPX OR NOT GPX?  (Read 87627 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: GPX OR NOT GPX?
« Reply #350 on: 17 May, 2019, 03:49:49 pm »
Seriously though, talking of TBT, does anyone else still use (for their Etrex) what used to be called in these pages the "jwo method" ?    A breadcrumb trail on the road (or as near as the trackpoint limit will allow), and overlaid with a route that connects "routepoints" which are named in abbreviated audaxese.   I've yet to find anything more reliable for a) sticking to the planned route without succumbing to Garmin's own ideas about routing, b) counting down distances to turns, c) audible warning of turn a few seconds before each turn, d) no spurious 'off-route' warnings.
No, I just passively follow the track on the map, no prompts, beeps etc .... However, I'd be interested in this. Would it be difficult to post your workflow for this method (maybe in the GPS board rather than take this one further off course'). No worries if it's a lot of work as I'm reasonably happy with my method but am intrigued.

Waypoint Naming           (broken link mended - sorry!)
It has to be said this works much better on older Etrexes, the newer ones have a much smaller font size for text fields and it's hard to configure them in a way that makes this information as useful as it should be.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #351 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:06:19 pm »
Waypoint Naming
It has to be said this works much better on older Etrexes, the newer ones have a much smaller font size for text fields and it's hard to configure them in a way that makes this information as useful as it should be.
Thanks Frankie - that's given me a broken link of some kind (the one with cranks, chain and cog bouncing along  :))

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #352 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:13:55 pm »
I'm not a kazzo user (but part of the famous Kazoo two band, but thats a different story!) however I dont use Garmin TBT.  I rely on the cue sheet within the route that I load on to my Garmin 1030.

Without turning this thread into a GPS tutorial, i was wondering exactly what you do to generate a cue sheet that would support navigation without TBT turned on, like you i also turn off the TBT but would appreciate having this. Is this part
of RWGPS for which you have to pay?

Pretty much this:
If your device supports it in TCX or FIT format then yes with a paid RWGPS subscription you will be able to download them. Unless you manually edit the cues, whittle the chaff and add the missing you will only get the cues generated by the base map used.

You can still download .FIT and .TCX (both files being different but achieving the same thing) however you need to pay for the "Notify before turn" option to get the cue prompts.

If there are no prompts (cues) in the GPX file you have uploaded to RWGPS (or you want to recreate the cue points that someone has cleared out) then you need to redo the route, this can be achieved in a few easy ways but take time - either

- edit the route using the  "add/remove control point" to drag the route a little (causes a re-plan and creates the cues) and needs you to make sure the replan doesn't change the route from your intended path..

- or, edit the route, select "prepare for tracing" from the left Edit menu and then create a new route over the top of the 'trace'

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #353 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:29:25 pm »
Thanks!
Regards,

Alan

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #354 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:49:36 pm »
I prefer the dumb silent track. A quick glance as you pass a turning or side road is often all that's needed. Meanwhile I can enjoy the scenery and pay attention to the sign posts telling how far it is to next village etc. The only thing I did do was change the mapping style so the line I am following stands out from all the roads even in bright sunshine. 

I'd would love an e-ink style display on a GPS as they are so much clearer in bright sunshine.

Yes changing the style would be good - I think you can do this on Edge devices if you start messing with custom maps - somethings I also find missing which would be useful are names of motorways and rivers as they are often good points to work out where you actually are.

On my current Edge 1030 I not use it exclusively in 'day' mode as the 'night' mode (style) seems to lose the track line I am following as it changes to the sem colour as some of the roads - this could also be indicative of me needing to get my eyes tested!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #355 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:06:02 pm »
A silent, dumb track is something I can follow and cope with fine. Having the Garmin shout at me sounds like hell.

« Reply #356 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:12:42 pm »
Much like someone shouting out instructions from a route sheet

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #357 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
there's usually an option to have the turn notifications on but disable bleeps on them.

S2L

« Reply #358 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:25:35 pm »
Must be an Audax thing.

On other forums people moan because their Edge 520 lost a file or their Wahoo Elemnt doesn't update or that ANT+ is not reliable, or their IPhone does not communicate with the unit...

here is like another dimension, a much more primitive one, one where adults are incapable to drag a mouse along a screen and click to produce a circle of points or question how to follow a simple line and need a compass and a sextant to double check they are not being conned by the bugger

It's really really entertaining, sad but happy at the same time... bittersweet

« Reply #359 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:02:33 pm »
On the other hand you have adults who are tech savvy enough to use a gps, but seemingly incapable of searching on a website like RWGPS or Strava for the audax gpx of their choice (they are all on there!), but then are tech savvy enough to find an internet forum on which to whine about it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #360 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:05:14 pm »
On the other hand you have adults who are tech savvy enough to use a gps, but seemingly incapable of searching on a website like RWGPS or Strava for the audax gpx of their choice (they are all on there!)

To be fair, you can't trust J Random GPX from the internet.  If it's not from the organiser, it's not the canonical route.  Which isn't to say that the one somebody put on Strava 2 years ago might not be useful, but you're going to have to diff it against (presumably) the official routesheet before using it.

« Reply #361 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:07:19 pm »
That is true, but it's pretty easy to cross reference other published routes, and/or quickly plot your own using the found one in conjunction with routesheet.

You cant always trust one supplied by the organiser either  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #362 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:08:55 pm »
That is true, but it's pretty easy to cross reference other published routes, and/or quickly plot your own using the found one in conjunction with routesheet.

It's pretty easy to do most of the things described in this thread, if you find them easy.  *shrugs*

You cant always trust one supplied by the organiser either  ;)

Indeed, but you should be able to (plusminus last-minute announcements that somebody's nicked a bridge or whatever on the day).

« Reply #363 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:09:53 pm »
On the other hand you have adults who are tech savvy enough to use a gps, but seemingly incapable of searching on a website like RWGPS or Strava for the audax gpx of their choice (they are all on there!), but then are tech savvy enough to find an internet forum on which to whine about it.

That's the first thing that occurred to me. I assumed that they didn't want to pay a subscription to be able to download the file. It seems to be an ingrained attitude in the 'pirate generation'. They seem to want to go to any length to circumvent paywalls.

I do sympathise, as I'm pretty parsimonious myself. The coming generation don't seem as bothered about paying, as their use of smartphones makes them fairly passive consumers.

« Reply #364 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »
I dont think you have to pay to download from RWGPS. I do it most weeks.

« Reply #365 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:14:00 pm »

It's pretty easy to do most of the things described in this thread, if you find them easy.  *shrugs*

I'm pointing out the disconnect between being able to set up a gps, get it to communicate with smartphone/computer, operate it, but being unable to click points on a googlemap and hit 'save'.

« Reply #366 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:14:18 pm »
I dont think you have to pay to download from RWGPS. I do it most weeks.

The basic is free, more sophisticated stuff costs.
https://ridewithgps.com/choose_account

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #367 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:14:23 pm »
That's the first thing that occurred to me. I assumed that they didn't want to pay a subscription to be able to download the file. It seems to be an ingrained attitude in the 'pirate generation'. They seem to want to go to any length to circumvent paywalls.

I do sympathise, as I'm pretty parsimonious myself. The coming generation don't seem as bothered about paying, as their use of smartphones makes them fairly passive consumers.

I suspect it's more a resistance to signing up for things (on faff or privacy grounds), rather than the actual payment.  Though the latter usually implies the former.

"I've already signed up to an organisation to get audax routes, why should I need to sign up to another just because the organiser can't be bothered to email/upload a file to AUK?" seems reasonable to me.

« Reply #368 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:21:50 pm »
People over 45 grew up paying for content, those under 25 have grown up in a world that's evolved to protect content. The group in the middle didn't like the idea on principle, so if they can get someone else to give them the content they are contended .

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #369 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:34:58 pm »
So because I can read an OS map should I be writing my own routesheet from the control information provided by the organizer then?

This isn't about what you can or can't do, it's about what the base level of service that everyone receives should be.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

S2L

« Reply #370 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:36:22 pm »
On the other hand you have adults who are tech savvy enough to use a gps, but seemingly incapable of searching on a website like RWGPS or Strava for the audax gpx of their choice (they are all on there!)

To be fair, you can't trust J Random GPX from the internet.  If it's not from the organiser, it's not the canonical route.  Which isn't to say that the one somebody put on Strava 2 years ago might not be useful, but you're going to have to diff it against (presumably) the official routesheet before using it.

I once followed the wrong GPX file...  missed the info and didn't get my ride validated...
I still enjoyed it

BTW: it was a GPX file provided by the organiser  ;D

People take this brevet malarkey way too seriously

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #371 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:50:07 pm »
This thread is a mattc wetdream

Where the fuck is he????
Darling, I've missed you too - it's been awful being apart!  :-* But I'm back, and catching up on this most satisfying debate.

Will add my (much-missed) wisdom shortly, but it looks like you've been upholding the Spirit of Audax without me in fine style  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #372 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »
I`m not here for Chis S`s entertainment, feet up, popcorn and beer.

So what are you here for?

OK, so it's taken a few pages, but I think I know this one:

He's here to show QG how to really be a dick about audax, and those who waste their free time putting them on for us.

QG you need to up your game to match this guy! Perhaps with a few more rides/years under your belt you'll get the hang of it  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #373 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:00:11 pm »
 ;D ;D

Have you got your Audax 10,000 Yard Stare award yet?

« Reply #374 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:02:17 pm »
So because I can read an OS map should I be writing my own routesheet from the control information provided by the organizer then?

You can if you want.

Put the start, finish and intermediate control points into googlemap and it will do it for you  :-*