Author Topic: iOS 6  (Read 9858 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: iOS 6
« Reply #50 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:51:23 am »
maps.google.com

gives you the Google maps and the little gps locator.

and directions. But no Street View from what I can see.

I'm guessing that Google will produce an App. And that Apple will allow it on the Apps Store, as long as it doesn't breach their data collection rules.
IOS6 seems to give better integration between bits of the OS, and better notifications, which I am already finding an improvement.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:20:18 am »
Thanks J. Might still wait till maps issue sorted a bit better as D's iPad use is crucial.

AndyK

« Reply #52 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:30:49 am »

I'm guessing that Google will produce an App. And that Apple will allow it on the Apps Store, as long as it doesn't breach their data collection rules.

Word is Google have already produced an app for iOS 6, but are waiting for Apple to approve it.

ian

« Reply #53 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:34:14 am »
The new maps are a bit shaky, and very road-centric. We got lost wandering in the woods near Robertsbridge yesterday and our usual escape plan in such situations is to use the GPS phone to figure out where we are on the OS map. This relies on there being common landscape features like woods, streams, etc. Apple maps just has roads and not even lanes. As there were no roads nearby, that wasn't terribly helpful. Google came up trumps, since the data is far richer, and we could align the woods and streams between Google and the OS map. So we arrived back in Robertsbridge before the night fell and the zombie squirrels emerged.

So, yes, you can use the Google maps web app, and it'll do GPS and most Google maps features other than street view. Bear in mind that all apps that use maps data use the Apple equivalent now.

I'm also sure Google will get their own native iOS app for maps. Also, the Apple map data will improve. Google have the headstart, of course.

Other than that, the upgrade seems to have gone mostly* smoothly. Nothing ground breaking but lots of pleasing little features to stumble across. Some are about-times, others actually quite cool.

*My iPhone refused to sync with iTunes. Some Googling later that turned out to be caused by the fact that I had a few voice memos on my phone that I had to (apparently) delete. It's 2012, Apple, so please say no to the iTunes cryptic error codes.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #54 on: 23 September, 2012, 02:09:48 pm »
I'm actually now a big fan of the move to iOS6 now.

I like the new apps 'iTunes U' and 'Podcasts'. Found useful stuff on both of them... currently working my way through part 1 of Havard's Introduction to Computer Science which has been a delight.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #55 on: 23 September, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
My 4 32GB might be up for grabs in a couple of hours. ;)

OK, after some hiccups with the Nano Sim, in the new iphone 5, my 4, black, 32GB phone is available. I need to find the box now. :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 24 September, 2012, 02:57:58 pm »
It seems the iPhone 5 cannot do everything. From another forum:

Quote from: cwcaesar
I received my 5 on Friday. I said that I was going to post pictures, but I can't take any pics of my phone with my phone.

No mind to use a mirror, it would seem...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #57 on: 24 September, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »
I have decided not to upgrade, but the little red "1" on my settings icon is really annoying me (because it wants me to download the upgrade and I don't want to). Is there any easy way of skipping this or telling it not to show the icon? I can't find anything myself through exploring.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

AndyK

« Reply #58 on: 24 September, 2012, 03:44:07 pm »
I have decided not to upgrade, but the little red "1" on my settings icon is really annoying me (because it wants me to download the upgrade and I don't want to). Is there any easy way of skipping this or telling it not to show the icon? I can't find anything myself through exploring.

Try connecting the phone to your computer, open iTunes, and make sure 'Sync with this iPhone over wifi' is unchecked in iTunes. That might fix it.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #59 on: 24 September, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »
I've updated our iPads and my 4S with IOS6 without any issues. I'll do Mrs JT's iPhone 4 tomorrow morning.

I played with an iPhone 5 in Tesco yesterday and was surprised that the extra length didn't make it feel much bigger. (fnar fnar). Of course being lighter and thinner helps in that respect. The changes to the screen where the touch receptors are located was noticable too. It felt very nice and I want one but my contract isn't up until next summer.  :(
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #60 on: 24 September, 2012, 03:48:42 pm »
seems my original ipad is un-upgradeable :(   Apparently it's because it couldnt cope with it, but a small part of me wonders if they just want me to buy a new one.... 

Quite like IOS6 on my iphone4 though, the photo / facebook integration is great and have been catching up on podcasts on the train.

AndyK

« Reply #61 on: 24 September, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdIWKytq_q4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/rdIWKytq_q4&rel=1</a>

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #62 on: 24 September, 2012, 04:16:18 pm »
All this hype about iOS 6 and its features and foibles is all very well....

However, does the iPhone 5 actually work any better AS A PHONE??  The iPhone 4 is c**p as a simple telephonic device compared with others...

AndyK

« Reply #63 on: 24 September, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »
The iPhone 4 is c**p as a simple telephonic device compared with others...

Never had any problems using mine as a phone.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #64 on: 24 September, 2012, 05:02:20 pm »
One question: has anyone with a 3GS upgraded yet? I've updated my 4S but I'm undecided whether to update my son's phone. From what I've read, they've tweaked the upgrade process to ensure it won't be the massive clustershambles that owners of pre-3GS phones suffered in the upgrade to iOS 5, and all that should happen is that he won't get all the features his phone doesn't support, but has anyone actually tried it yet?

Only just noticed the YouTube app has gone!

It's no longer included in iOS by default but it is available as a standalone app in the app store.

It might just be my imagination, but the screen looks significantly better in IOS6 on my 4S - clearer and sharper. Anyone else noticing this?

Don't know. It may just be that some of the graphics have been updated to be more detailed, so are now taking better advantage of the retina screen. I know this is the case with some of the new emoji. But you probably only care about emoji if you're a 12yo girl.

I read the maps thing was somewhat about stopping Google who wanted access to all the map search data etc.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/23/one-not-so-secret-reason-apple-built-its-own-maps-for-ios-6-tal/

I like the new maps app. The fact that it uses vector rather than bitmap is a huge improvement. The other problems can be fixed but it is fundamentally better than what it has replaced.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #65 on: 24 September, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »

Snap.

« Reply #66 on: 24 September, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »
I upgraded my 3 GS this morning and it went smoothly. Well, iTunes didn't work, but I just restarted and now it does. It does feel 'nicer' - crisper? But I'm still hoping to get a 5 ASAP

« Reply #67 on: 24 September, 2012, 05:06:52 pm »

Snap.

Double snap - it's always been good.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #68 on: 24 September, 2012, 05:26:34 pm »
I upgraded my 3 GS this morning and it went smoothly. Well, iTunes didn't work, but I just restarted and now it does. It does feel 'nicer' - crisper? But I'm still hoping to get a 5 ASAP

:thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #69 on: 24 September, 2012, 05:38:20 pm »
Ah, this is interesting. I've found a lot of things run a bit slow since upgrading to iOS5 on my 3GS which is partly why I thought I wouldn't do it, but if you think it's an improvement then it might be worth it. Maybe you could report back in a few days!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #70 on: 24 September, 2012, 06:02:01 pm »
Will do!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #71 on: 24 September, 2012, 06:58:26 pm »

Snap.

Double snap - it's always been good.
I guess my SO must have had a few duff ones then - she has kept borrowing my Nokia whenever she wants to talk to someone 'cause she can hear it better than her iphone....

AndyK

« Reply #72 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:14:43 am »
It had to happen  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkDz4wMI9J8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GkDz4wMI9J8&rel=1</a>

ian

« Reply #73 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:25:08 am »
Never had an issue with the phone (yes, I still remember it does it that occasionally), it certainly a lot better to take and make calls on that my BB.

Maps, to be honest, is v1.0. It's supposed to be a bit crap. There are some glints of future capabilities and long term I think better that Apple are forced to compete with Google on map-based services. When we live in a world where people die because they don't have clean water, well that's the sort of shit we should get righteously angry about, not a misspelling of a place name.

Not sure if the screen got any better, it was amazingly good anyway. There's a Kindle app update that finally makes their fonts a bit better. That said, for some reason when I synced with iTunes a large chunk of my photo library was re-optimised and sent over. That might have been iTunes being contrary.

ian

« Reply #74 on: 25 September, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »
Maps, to be honest, is v1.0. It's supposed to be a bit crap.
Supposed to be? What's beta testing for?

Building an entire global mapping service is a huge, huge job. Realistically you're only going to get proper feedback when it hits the market and gazillions of people try to break it. Which they have. No real surprises there. Standard v1.0 blues.