Author Topic: iOS 6  (Read 9909 times)

Re: iOS 6
« Reply #75 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:14:29 pm »
Oooh, I'm getting an iPhone 5 on Thursday night - can't wait. But in the meantime I've been using my phone a lot, and it's definitely no slower than on iOS5 and possibly faster - it does feel better to me, and there are some nice improvements to things like podcasts. I'd recommend upgrading. In fact, I read that there are a lot of security patches in the upgrade, so it's worth doing it for that alone.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #76 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:19:01 pm »
Principal reason Apple-types I know are not rushing to iOS6 is that it's not been jailbroken yet.

AndyK

iOS 6
« Reply #77 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »
Principal reason Apple-types I know are not rushing to iOS6 is that it's not been jailbroken yet.

Yes, it has: http://m.global.christianpost.com/news/ios-6-jailbreak-for-iphone-5-surfaces-in-new-images-photo--82192/

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #78 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:50:06 pm »
Ahh, y'see, I'm just not up-to-date on these things.

"A telephonic aparatus, m'Lud'"...

« Reply #79 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »
iOS6 seems to have done something odd to the backlight on my iPhone 4S. It is set to auto brightness, but upon unlocking is tending to remain in a gloomy dim shade until I switch apps whereupon it starts to work as normal again, only later to go all dim again. Tis very odd.

iOS 6
« Reply #80 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:54:15 am »
The iPad 2 mail is shot!  I have to keep deleting the accounts and reinstalling to get any mail.

The App Store is also slow and not quite right!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

AndyK

« Reply #81 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:58:32 am »
I'm finding my iPhone 4 now has a much improved battery life. Currently on 30% remaining charge, 44 hours since last full charge (with moderate use of 5 hours 56 minutes, mostly web browsing but also a couple of Facetimes and a few calls).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #82 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:05:07 am »
Oooh, I'm getting an iPhone 5 on Thursday night - can't wait. But in the meantime I've been using my phone a lot, and it's definitely no slower than on iOS5 and possibly faster - it does feel better to me, and there are some nice improvements to things like podcasts. I'd recommend upgrading. In fact, I read that there are a lot of security patches in the upgrade, so it's worth doing it for that alone.
Having read this I was just about to do the upgrade when I remembered Maps - I use Google maps a surprising amount and am not sure just yet about having to use Apple Maps. Are they as bad as people say?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

AndyK

« Reply #83 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:06:40 am »
Having read this I was just about to do the upgrade when I remembered Maps - I use Google maps a surprising amount and am not sure just yet about having to use Apple Maps. Are they as bad as people say?

Here's my take on them. http://andyonnabike.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/why-i-like-apples-mapping-app/

They seem ok, not nearly as accurate as Google maps, but then Google wasn't all that accurate when first released either.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #84 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:19:02 am »
I like your Wordpress post, Andy!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #85 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:30:14 pm »
Why is Westminster on all the phones' screens?

AndyK

« Reply #86 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:35:28 pm »
It was the last search I did.

« Reply #87 on: 27 September, 2012, 09:48:34 pm »
Hello from my new phone! I have to say the maps have been fine on everything I've searched so far. Time will tell...

« Reply #88 on: 27 September, 2012, 09:59:56 pm »
The iPad 2 mail is shot!  I have to keep deleting the accounts and reinstalling to get any mail.

This seems to be quite a widespread problem.  I'll wait for 6.01...

iOS 6
« Reply #89 on: 27 September, 2012, 10:28:55 pm »
Not had a problem on the new iPads......yet!

I've had to delete accounts and do a reset and input all accounts again today on the 2. My trusty 3GS is still working fine on ios6, I must have the only bulletproof one they ever sold :)

I may regret typing that.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

AndyK

« Reply #90 on: 30 September, 2012, 08:24:34 am »
Has anyone with iOS 6 tried asking, 'Siri, download Google Maps…'? Just curious what it says.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #91 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:07:13 am »
I just had a look in the App Store for Google Maps and couldn't find it.

This is in preparation for upgrading my 3GS. Having seen that the aerial view of Colchester is a cloud, I quite fancied the amusement of AppleMaps, but only if I have an alternative if I actually need to use the iPhone to get somewhere.

« Reply #92 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:36:38 am »
There's no app, yet. There's lots of debates about why - some say Google is holding off six months, till users are desperate, and to make them hate Apple. Some say the app is currently stalled in Apple's approval process. But so far, there's none.

However, you can just go to Google's mobile map site on the safari browser and then 'save it to home screen' to create a quasi-app. I've done that. Though I can't get it to recognise where I am - I need to do more fiddling with it, work it out!

« Reply #93 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:09:49 am »
Has anyone with iOS 6 tried asking, 'Siri, download Google Maps…'? Just curious what it says.

Experiment completed - Siri says 'I'm terribly sorry, Gillian - I'm not allowed to install things on your iPhone.'

On a side note, I've been impressed with how well Siri understands my Scottish accent! And I have to resist the urge to say 'thanks' after every interaction.

« Reply #94 on: 30 September, 2012, 12:33:05 pm »
I upgraded my 3 GS this morning and it went smoothly.

My 3GS upgrade was fine, with one small exception: since upgrading, it developed an inability to send text messages (though it could receive them, and could send and receive iMessages).

I'm currently doing a full restore to see if that solves the problem. However, I've got my eyes on a new iShiny 5...
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

AndyK

« Reply #95 on: 30 September, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »

My 3GS upgrade was fine, with one small exception: since upgrading, it developed an inability to send text messages (though it could receive them, and could send and receive iMessages).

I'm currently doing a full restore to see if that solves the problem. However, I've got my eyes on a new iShiny 5...

Check your mobile data settings. The upgrade resets them to the factory settings.

« Reply #96 on: 30 September, 2012, 12:42:28 pm »

Check your mobile data settings. The upgrade resets them to the factory settings.

Good point - I'm on PAYG, so that's probably the issue!

(This did cross my mind last week as something that might be at fault, but I then forgot before I investigated further).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #97 on: 30 September, 2012, 01:39:52 pm »
Bugger. That hasn't worked, and the mobile data settings appear to be correct.  :(

« Reply #98 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:37:28 pm »
putting more credit on my phone seems to have solved it... :-[ :-[ :-[ :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: