Author Topic: iOS 6  (Read 9897 times)

simonp

Re: iOS 6
« Reply #25 on: 20 September, 2012, 06:11:46 pm »
Just tried 3D mode over the HoP in London.

All is forgiven.

iOS 6
« Reply #26 on: 20 September, 2012, 06:47:37 pm »
Only just noticed the YouTube app has gone!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #27 on: 20 September, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »
The 3D flypast thing is just a gimmick, it only works in a tiny handful of places. I'd rather have kept Streetview - much more useful.

AndyK: My old google maps app still works fine, but it's basically some kind of front end to Safari anyway. Good to have the option still.

Google have released their own youtube app, seems to be ok to me so far.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2012, 07:25:50 pm »
seem to have taken a slight hit on battery life since the update but that could just be coincidence... too early to tell

« Reply #29 on: 21 September, 2012, 01:25:51 am »
I'm about to upgrade my 4S, wish me luck  :o

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 21 September, 2012, 06:54:37 am »
One end of our office has, amusingly, polarised into an Apple table and two Galaxy tables.  Also, the small ads at work are now filled by people trying to offload their iPhone 4 and 4s ready for the 5.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 21 September, 2012, 06:58:07 am »
My 4 32GB might be up for grabs in a couple of hours. ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2012, 12:42:33 pm »
It might just be my imagination, but the screen looks significantly better in IOS6 on my 4S - clearer and sharper. Anyone else noticing this?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2012, 01:07:34 pm »
I had the same thought yesterday... I doubt there's any basis to this feeling though.

« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2012, 10:02:49 pm »
I have figured out how to share my photostream and calendar with simonp. I have no idea if my iPhone could do this before, but it certainly can now.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #35 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »
Yes, shared photostream rings a bell as one of the new features... I've never tried the original photostream though.

simonp

« Reply #36 on: 22 September, 2012, 12:18:59 am »
I have figured out how to share my photostream and calendar with simonp. I have no idea if my iPhone could do this before, but it certainly can now.

I think I can add stuff to your calendar but not the photo stream. So I'll have to share one of my own.

« Reply #37 on: 22 September, 2012, 12:22:08 am »

I think I can add stuff to your calendar but not the photo stream. So I'll have to share one of my own.

I can't work out how to make it automatically add new photos to the shared stream. It is a 3 click process per photo frustratingly.!

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 22 September, 2012, 12:29:17 am »
They've added one feature I really wanted, Do Not Disturb. 11pm - 7am I've set it for. Unless it's someone in my favourite contacts list.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 22 September, 2012, 12:34:02 am »
I read the maps thing was somewhat about stopping Google who wanted access to all the map search data etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

AndyK

« Reply #40 on: 22 September, 2012, 08:29:07 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 22 September, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »
David has an iPad2 that he uses mostly for mapping, Twitter and email on the move. It's inviting him to upgrade.
Given he uses Google maps a lot and Apple maps sound like a pile of FAIL, I've suggested he should wait. What say the panel?
David can be short of fuse...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #42 on: 22 September, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »
I have decided to leave it well alone for the time being. Besides, my iPad and iPhone are a bit long in the tooth and would probably expire.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #43 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »
David has an iPad2 that he uses mostly for mapping, Twitter and email on the move. It's inviting him to upgrade.
Given he uses Google maps a lot and Apple maps sound like a pile of FAIL, I've suggested he should wait. What say the panel?

Google maps can still be accessed via Safari, or the old google maps app (which may have disappeared off the App Store by now, the on on my phone still works on iOS 6)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

Google maps can still be accessed via Safari, or the old google maps app (which may have disappeared off the App Store by now, the on on my phone still works on iOS 6)

Will the GPS locator work?
David travels a fair bit and gets lost...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #45 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:53:55 am »
I think so, mine still gives that pulsing blue dot showing where I am that the original app did. This is on google's maps app though, not simply looking at maps in Safari. The google maps app seems to have been pulled, so if you don't already have it I think you're stuck with just the new (not as good) Apple maps.

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:59:37 am »
Safari can give location so it should still work for that. Street view kind of works in safari but no flash means the rendering isn't as good.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #47 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:30:24 am »
Is there any good reason for David to install iOS6 onto his iPad2?

iOS 6
« Reply #48 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:35:36 am »
I can't see any benefits on the ipad2.
Maps are crap, so is the battery life!

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #49 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:42:34 am »
Fine thanks!