Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 12717 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #50 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:04:51 pm »
Just realised how old this thread is.

Something I do when I want to cycle rather than go caching is pick a cache that's a fair distance from home and ride out to it. It gives me a focus beyond just riding around for the sake of it, and even if I don't find the cache it acted as a kind of "control" on the ride to make sure I did the distance. If I find it that's a bonus.

Actually, that would be an interesting one to promote permanent rides!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #51 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »
Let me get this right. You go on a Geocaching website and note down the Lat/long for a Cache. Ride there and find something in a plastic box?

That sounds similar to picking a town off the '50 miles around Birmingham' map and going on your bikes to find its chip shop.

« Reply #52 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »
That sounds similar to picking a town off the '50 miles around Birmingham' map and going on your bikes to find its chip shop.

Is this a thing?
I think I approve! I'll have to try it one day :)

We tried laying some caches as part of an art thing in Leicester city centre a few years ago. Totally failed to get any of them authorised by the official website.

So, in a reverse geocache type stylee, here are the caches, you've just got to find the co-ordinates  ;D

http://routesrolesrules.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/digital-trails/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:04:52 pm »
Let me get this right. You go on a Geocaching website and note down the Lat/long for a Cache. Ride there and find something in a plastic box?

It's not always a plastic box, but the bed of nettles is pretty much compulsory.

Seems reasonable...

« Reply #54 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »
A lot of what my schoolchums and I did was on the throw of dice.

Throw two dice, and if its 5, it is between 150 and 180 degrees. Throw again and that subdivides that segment into 12. Locate a town approx 25 miles away and go for its chip shop.

Seeings 7 is the most probable, from Brum, it was either Bromsgrove, Droitwich or Worcester.  :-\

When the Random number generator appeared on Microsoft Excel, we went north more often.  ;D

« Reply #55 on: 11 April, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »
Like your style :)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #56 on: 11 April, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
you might have been better off throwing a single die twice and choosing a bearing based on something along the lines of

bearing in degrees = (first die roll)x60 + (second die roll)x10 - 70

That's assuming that not always ending up in Bromsgrove, Droitwich or Worcester constitutes "better off", of course ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #57 on: 11 April, 2013, 07:07:23 pm »
All the caches we placed were muggled/piked within six months, so we gave up.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #58 on: 11 April, 2013, 07:11:56 pm »
It's not always a plastic box, but the bed of nettles is pretty much compulsory.

This is one of the local caches. The actual cache is a tightly rolled strip of paper in the metal capsule, hidden inside a frog, hidden in a tree stump..

DSC_0967 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

There were others which were ceramic mushrooms and so on.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #59 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:13:22 pm »
you might have been better off throwing a single die twice and choosing a bearing based on something along the lines of

bearing in degrees = (first die roll)x60 + (second die roll)x10 - 70

That's assuming that not always ending up in Bromsgrove, Droitwich or Worcester constitutes "better off", of course ;)

Then there was Malvern, Bromyard and finally, the cider.  ;D

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #60 on: 12 April, 2013, 09:15:24 am »

Pretty much. Except sometimes you don't find the plastic box. Sometimes I'll use a couple of caches as waypoints to create a looped ride.

Kind of, except for me Birmingham is a bit of a trek to start the journey to the chip shop :)
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #61 on: 12 April, 2013, 09:39:24 am »
Let's go through this again.
You go to a Geocaching website, pay their membership fee and get Lat/Long of some caches.
You go out and find the caches, and then go to the chip shop.

« Reply #62 on: 12 April, 2013, 09:42:11 am »
"I placed a Geocache outside New Street station in Birmingham. Unfortunately, Bomb Disposal blew it up."  ;D ::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #63 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:34:40 am »
Free membership. But basically, yes. To some it has the same effect on a walk or cycle as the act of golf.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #64 on: 12 April, 2013, 12:26:54 pm »
Let's go through this again.
You go to a Geocaching website, pay their membership fee and get Lat/Long of some caches.
You go out and find the caches, and then go to the chip shop.

Yep, you sign up (you can sign up for free), go find some caches, then go to the chip shop.

It's much like audaxing where you go to an audaxing website, pay the membership, get a routesheet. You go out and ride the route, then go to get some cake.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.