Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3905511 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23275 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:36:14 pm »
A very hard 41km today, fierce ne wind, my little (?) leggies just wouldn't work, felt zorsted when I got home.. :facepalm:

« Reply #23276 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:37:31 pm »
I rode just over a mile, up and down our road with the duck, around an obstacle course that he had set up. It was fun.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23277 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:42:03 pm »
I bet he sets fiendish obstacle courses.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23278 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:46:32 pm »
I too rode round an obstacle course.  As the duck wasn't available, I had to make do with a relatively easy one made by the combined efforts of Team Let's Dig A Big Hole In The Road and the afore-mentioned fierce northeasterly.  Who thought those plastic barriers were a good idea?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23279 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:37:57 pm »
only to wave the sun good night

« Reply #23280 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:50:30 pm »
Havent been out yet, but will do as soon as I get back from terror-shopping
Where are you getting your terror? They're clean out of it round here, the best we can find is mild unease.

Waitrose has the best terror, because the people who shop there have lives that are simply much more important than anybody else's, even the other shoppers in Waitrose.

So much more to lose.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #23281 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:59:06 pm »
A road popular with cyclists near where I live had an uncommonly large amount of broken glass on it today. I counted half a dozen or more roughly circular patches of the stuff. It looked like somebody had walked along the road and thrown a small beer bottle or similar at the ground at regular intervals.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #23282 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:43:16 am »
It would have been helpful to tell your former nearest and dearest that rather than just walking out the door.

« Reply #23283 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:46:43 am »
It would have been helpful to tell your former nearest and dearest that rather than just walking out the door.

You might find the quote function useful. Then we would have a clue as to what you're talking about.

« Reply #23284 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:58:59 am »

You might find the quote function useful. Then we would have a clue as to what you're talking about.
I did but it failed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #23285 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:29:21 am »

I did but it failed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

And here is the quotes 'Just back from a short spin to clear my head before bed. Lockdown isn’t an ideal situation for me to maintain enthusiasm, for most things really.'

From Little Wheels and Big

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23286 on: 21 April, 2020, 04:02:54 pm »
In the interests of boredom and speeding motorist avoidance, I tried the truncated version of my Henley-in-Icecream loop.  It turned out to be longer than I remembered, and considerably harder work on the Streetmachine than it is on the Baron[1].  The ice cream shop was of course shut, which was striking given the weather.

Got gawped at by two pedestrians, and gawped back at the last moment when I realised they were each carrying a parrot.

Flytipper's Lane is sporting a road closed sign at one end.  I'm not sure why, but it probably involves flytipping.

Still loads of people out on bikes, but being further from civilisation they were mostly the Lycra brigade.

[1] It's staying indoors on the basis that skinny tyres and no suspension is a bad idea given that the objective is exercise with a minimum of falling off.
I used to do a similar loop when I lived in Stirchley.  My abiding memory of it is a bumblebee hitting me on the helmet (yes, I used to wear one a bit) at high speed when crossing the M40 bridge.  It made a very big "PLOK!" and must have slowed me down a bit!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23287 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:34:46 pm »
I managed 27 miles this afternoon. UP past black park and over the ford and up the hill over the m40 after when I turned right to tatling end  a short section of a very quiet a40 then left to Denham via a short bridlway section. A  brief stop was made to train watch at Denham golf club station (yes that's what the station sign says  ::-) ) I rode a few miles then turned left down to chalfont st Peter. I stopped to look at the Ford then up the hill to pick up welders lane to jordans.  Left to the a40 then right towards beaconsfield turning left to  cross the m40 junction roundabout to beaconsfield services where I then followed the lane alongside the m40 back towards Gerrard's cross. When I reached the b road near Gerrard's cross I turned right back to slough  . It was nice to use roads that I usually have to avoid due to traffic. Lots of  cyclists and walkers about   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23288 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:41:20 pm »
In the interests of boredom and speeding motorist avoidance, I tried the truncated version of my Henley-in-Icecream loop.  It turned out to be longer than I remembered, and considerably harder work on the Streetmachine than it is on the Baron[1].  The ice cream shop was of course shut, which was striking given the weather.

Got gawped at by two pedestrians, and gawped back at the last moment when I realised they were each carrying a parrot.

Flytipper's Lane is sporting a road closed sign at one end.  I'm not sure why, but it probably involves flytipping.

Still loads of people out on bikes, but being further from civilisation they were mostly the Lycra brigade.

[1] It's staying indoors on the basis that skinny tyres and no suspension is a bad idea given that the objective is exercise with a minimum of falling off.
I used to do a similar loop when I lived in Stirchley.  My abiding memory of it is a bumblebee hitting me on the helmet (yes, I used to wear one a bit) at high speed when crossing the M40 bridge.  It made a very big "PLOK!" and must have slowed me down a bit!

I think I've hit that same bumblebee.  It hurts more without a helmet.

Ice cream update:  Henley Ice Cream appear to be operating some sort of self-service ice cream dispensary out of the (presumed) owner's front garden in Ullenhall.  I'll slow down and get a proper look next time.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23289 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:25:00 pm »
Out on my Relaxing Bike (what The Boy dubbed my recumbent some several years ago) today.

Not ridden it for a while. Tyres were flat, mirror is scratched and fogged. Pumped up the tyres, squinted at the mirror. Soon got back into the swing of things, kept it rubber side down and got nice wide passes by what motorised traffic there was.

You'll be pleased to know I put spare tubes x 2, tyre levers x 2 and pump x 1 in the seat back bag.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23290 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:36:52 pm »
A little dirt lanes ride on the cross bike to stay out of the wind and get a look at some bits of countryside I rarely see from the saddle. Just 19km, but a lovely ride!

bairn again

« Reply #23291 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:20:28 pm »
Knocked off work at 4pm, decided that with a strong east wind id go uphill with a tailwind and downhill into it.

Out from west Edinburgh through Ratho Wilkieston and Kirkliston reminded me of way south on Mark Shannons Dalmeny “Firth” audax events of 300-400-600 then onto the Leyden Rd to join the A70 Lang Whang for the final rise to Harperigg Reservoir.  Big ring all the way with a tailie

A retrace down into the strong headwind back to Balerno Currie Juniper Green Kingsknowe and a quick cut across the city back home for 42km. 

Annoying Edinburgh weather continues, warm sun with bitter cold wind. 

« Reply #23292 on: 22 April, 2020, 09:53:18 pm »
The loaner tandem came from JD yesterday, built it up and we went for a wee spin tonight.  It felt smooth and speedy. Had to tweak the gears a wee bit out at strathblane and they were much better on the way back.  Great to be back on a tandem.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23293 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:56:11 pm »
Went out for a local spin on the trike, checking out some side streets and lanes near Denham Aerodrome. Coming off a rough bridleway, a local on a MTB asked about the trike. While chatting, I glanced down and noticed the LH axle tubing was cracked. Some zipties fitted to sort of hold the crack together and I gingerly pedalled the shortest way back. A few kilometres from the finish and there were some funny noises emanating from the axle. The crack had grown to about 80% round. After that, I took my trike for a walk, resulting in some puzzled looks from folk along the way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23294 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:08:12 am »
Oof. Sorry to hear that but thankfully you didn't find out halfway down a hill on a bend.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #23295 on: 23 April, 2020, 01:18:25 pm »
Yes!

And it was lovely though the longish drag up Beachy Head was also directly into the wind which hurt a little. Still nice to get some fresh air. Traffic heavier than last time again. Seem busier everytime I go out. All the forest and Beachy Head car parks are shut but that just means everyone parks along the verge or in the car park entrance instead. Not sure that's quite the idea.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

S2L

« Reply #23296 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:34:29 pm »

Ice cream update:  Henley Ice Cream appear to be operating some sort of self-service ice cream dispensary out of the (presumed) owner's front garden in Ullenhall.  I'll slow down and get a proper look next time.

Yes please, that is reasonably local to me too...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23297 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:39:44 pm »
yes, for my usual training ride

« Reply #23298 on: 23 April, 2020, 03:39:54 pm »
Did an hour of zwifting.  York Central Park again but i did the KOM route this time and was surprised to discover 16% climbs like they have in the Wolds.  Performance-wise I am making progress and got my FTP upgraded apparently.  I will have to look up what it means. Also earned some black cycling shoes to go with my virtual sunglasses. 

Need to keep fit for my Italy trip (one day..)

Move Faster and Bake Things

S2L

« Reply #23299 on: 23 April, 2020, 04:10:18 pm »
yes, for my usual training ride

Looks familiar, Surrey?