Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 646239 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2350 on: 11 May, 2016, 02:17:10 pm »
Methinks you haven't read the article?

They are 3D renderings of bicycles based on people's drawings-from-memory of what a bicycle looks like (it turns out that people are surprisingly bad at remembering how a bicycle fits together).  For once it's not designer cluelessness that's at fault.

SCIENCE: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/~rlawson/cycleweb.html

Ha ha! Methinks you are right Kimmers. Quick scan. Get the jist, then jump in with a comment!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Chris N

« Reply #2351 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:47:43 pm »
Last weekend, a very early Proflex full suspension MTB.  Well, not quite full - this was one of the models with elastomer rear suspension and a Girvin Flexstem up front.  Looked like it was quite well used, but looked after. :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2352 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »
^
I had one of those too. Steel frame. Sadly the frame cracked around the bottom bracket area.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2353 on: 11 May, 2016, 06:12:31 pm »
A bit like this one spotted a couple of weeks ago outside Loughborough Tesco ?

« Reply #2354 on: 12 May, 2016, 07:42:50 pm »
In the absence of an 'Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen for sale' thread, there's one of Obree's bikes for sale on Ebay again...  :demon:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

fuzzy

« Reply #2355 on: 13 May, 2016, 11:44:13 pm »
Today, for a little while, I got to play with this beastie-

Photo0267 by fuzzy4130, on Flickr

Had a go on one of those at York last year.  It does wicked endos.  Sadly there weren't any Sands Of Doom to hand to really test it out on.

My chum Mr Hill has one, which he brought to Battle Mountain last year.  Wasted on the motel car park...

A ride on a Beastie is never wasted, no matter where it is. A severe case of underutilisation maybe but never a waste.  Having said that though, I could say that about any time I go out on my carbon fibre Wilier ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2356 on: 14 May, 2016, 11:07:11 am »
It's even more a waste of potential given that Mr Hill hails from suburban Ohio, but then he has Lots of Money which is surely better wasted spent supporting the artisans of Falmouth than those of Zuffenhausen or Maranello.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2357 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:14:34 am »
Matching his & hers yellow Thorn Nomads, complete with him & her riders, & Ortlieb panniers & bar bags which matched except for colour. IIRC his were red & hers were green.

Second sighting, the first being last weekend in the same spot going in the opposite direction. I think they probably live nearby & have just spent a week touring.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2358 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:35:11 pm »

« Reply #2359 on: 17 May, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »
A chrome Carlton track bike with Airlite hubs, Chater Lea cranks and inch pitch block chain. Seen in my garage after a friend said he was running out of storage room and thrust it upon me.

Now interested as to whether it meets the specification for the Olympic velodrome, which might lead to riding there.
Bottom bracket height should be fine, probably 6 1/2 cranks, if so all ok. New tyres will be needed, old rubber goes hard, and therefore slippy. The late Bob Maitland fitted some lovingly kept Dunlops for a Manchester vets worlds, and promptly slid down the banking every time he got off the cote.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2360 on: 18 May, 2016, 10:05:12 am »
I saw a Circe Helios on Monday, with dad and little daughter aboard. The first I've seen in the wild, I think, other than Butterfly and Nye's (which doesn't count as "wild" really, but certainly real life!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2361 on: 19 May, 2016, 08:38:04 am »

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2362 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:14:36 am »
A chrome Carlton track bike with Airlite hubs, Chater Lea cranks and inch pitch block chain. Seen in my garage after a friend said he was running out of storage room and thrust it upon me.

Now interested as to whether it meets the specification for the Olympic velodrome, which might lead to riding there.
Bottom bracket height should be fine, probably 6 1/2 cranks, if so all ok. New tyres will be needed, old rubber goes hard, and therefore slippy. The late Bob Maitland fitted some lovingly kept Dunlops for a Manchester vets worlds, and promptly slid down the banking every time he got off the cote.

New tyres were on the cards anyway but point noted.

It seems that the Lee Valley velodrome has specific requirements regarding tyres (e.g. no Michelins) and even get upset about cogs on double-sided hubs. https://ebookings.leevalleypark.org.uk/docs/track-clothing-spec.pdf The accreditation process seems very drawn out, particularly if you can't get to sessions during a working week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2363 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:31:21 am »

New tyres were on the cards anyway but point noted.

It seems that the Lee Valley velodrome has specific requirements regarding tyres (e.g. no Michelins) and even get upset about cogs on double-sided hubs. https://ebookings.leevalleypark.org.uk/docs/track-clothing-spec.pdf The accreditation process seems very drawn out, particularly if you can't get to sessions during a working week.

Same everywhere for accreditation. What is less well known is that nowadays accreditation "lapses" if you don't use that particular track for a few months. My Manchester accreditation lapsed with no warning, before then it was a once-only requirement.
I have taken the view that unless I wanted to seriously race on the track again ( with all the costs of travel and new carbon kit) I'll stick to the odd club session, that don't usually need any accreditation.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2364 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:00:33 am »
Really? Bloody awkward to get accredited, lapses if you don't ride at that track for a few months, non-transferable between tracks and little or no account taken of previous experience. Is BC actively trying to stop people riding the track, except for those actually in the national squad?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2365 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:02:10 am »
I saw a Circe Helios on Monday, with dad and little daughter aboard. The first I've seen in the wild, I think, other than Butterfly and Nye's (which doesn't count as "wild" really, but certainly real life!)
We saw one on Friday in Henleaze, perhaps the same one.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2366 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:38:02 pm »
We saw one on Friday in Henleaze, perhaps the same one.
I saw one in Richmond Park last week. Matching jerseys for mum and dad, kid in a kiddy seat and a trailer with a mahoosive hard case box on it. Very cool.
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2367 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:50:31 pm »

Look at the state of that chain!  Tch!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2368 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:02:02 pm »
Scoring well on cable-ties though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2369 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:04:10 pm »
Interesting spokes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2370 on: 25 May, 2016, 05:36:41 pm »
A Klein mountain bike in orange, mostly. I swear it had a hinge in the middle. Did Klein make a folder?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2371 on: 25 May, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »
A Klein mountain bike in orange, mostly. I swear it had a hinge in the middle. Did Klein make a folder?

That would be a Mantra. Rear suspension, not a folder.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2372 on: 25 May, 2016, 05:54:52 pm »
Yes, that was it. Thanks. Like this:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2373 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »
Fatbike-shaped-object.  Being ridden along the pavement in Northfield by a kid in his early teens.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2374 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:47:07 am »
Flat terrain presumably. The first hint of up around here and they're walking . . .

Something to do with the bike weight being in excess of 25 kilos
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.