Author Topic: BBC iPlayer  (Read 2398 times)

BBC iPlayer
« on: 07 May, 2008, 11:33:27 am »
Every time I watch a vid on the above, it hangs after about a minute. I then either have to renew my ip or reboot.

It's very annoying. Is this problem the BBC's or my BT connection?

Anyone else had any problems like this?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: BBC iPlayer
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:39:17 am »
It (or the net) is overloaded. It is a pain if you aren't on Windows and have to watch it live, not downloaded.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:41:57 am »
iPlayer is grinding the ISPs to a halt.  Since the launch, I've noticed quality going down with frames getting jumpier and the whole thing sometimes needing to buffer.

I'm on Virgin but I think it's getting the same way all over.  So many people's bandwidth usage has shot up since they discovered watch again that I suspect this is par for the course.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:56:59 am »
iPlayer is grinding the ISPs to a halt.

And the ISPs have gone crying to mummy the Government. They're claiming that the BBC should contribute some of the TV license fee to them to help fund the upgrades to the network infrastructure to handle the increased traffic.

However, iPlayer (and the other channels equivalents) "only" account for 5% of all UK Internet traffic. I've no sympathy for the ISPs that don't have adequate links to handle the fact that their customers are now using their connections more and more.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:11:58 pm »
Meh, if they were concerned about bandwidth use they'd have done something smarter about spam by now.  They know they have to upgrade - this is IT, everyone always has to upgrade everything.  They just want someone else to pay for it to preserve profits.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:15:44 pm »
I download early in the morning then watch later.   Minutes as oppose to hours sometimes.   

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:21:08 pm »
I've never bothered to install iPlayer, I just watch things live.  Here at work we have a gert big link from Janet to the Beeb (I think they peer at LINX), so there's never any speed issues, and at home with my 8M Zen connection I don't seem to have any problems either (although Zen have been working with the Beeb in the past using multicast for video, so maybe they have some nice big pipes between the two).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Lonewolff

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:36:38 pm »
Every time I watch a vid on the above, it hangs after about a minute. I then either have to renew my ip or reboot.

It's very annoying. Is this problem the BBC's or my BT connection?

Anyone else had any problems like this?

If you are using the bt home hub that is probably where your issue lies - there are some which just crash when there is high data throughput - e..g. watchin streaming video or downloading from bitorrent.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:25:29 am »
Tis fine for me at home and at work. Tis works better at home.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

vince

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:59:46 am »
If you are using the bt home hub that is probably where your issue lies - there are some which just crash when there is high data throughput - e..g. watchin streaming video or downloading from bitorrent.

That's interesting - I get the same problem with a BT home hub, although it is sporadic. I cannot get anything to download at all though, which is very annoying.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:10:26 am »

It doesn't work outside the UK  >:( >:(

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »

It doesn't work outside the UK  >:( >:(

Just a long shot but try a proxy server :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"