Author Topic: Which side does Sir fall off?  (Read 8514 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Which side does Sir fall off?
« on: 25 October, 2016, 08:42:20 pm »
Marinating my decrepitude, I list the aches and pains and find > 90% are dominant (RHS) based - that seems much higher than would be expected by random throws of life.

You a leftie, righty or chip onoff both shoulders?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Which side does Sir fall off?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:07:17 pm »
I am right-handed.
I mostly rode in the UK where people drive on the left.
I seldom came off and when I did, the trivial injuries were mostly on the left. (The worst was a haematoma in the trochanteric bursa of the left hip.)

(Not that I am a 'Sir'  ;) ;D )

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:10:06 pm »
I usually fall off to the right for 2 reasons:

1) The camber of the road means that in slippery conditions, the wheels are likely to slide down to the left;

2) Landing on the RHS causes the most expensive drivetrain damage.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:21:19 pm »
I'm evenly spread, given that most of my significant injuries were rugby based and indiscriminate.

Cycling wise, I think I'm about even, with a tendency to bending mech hangers.

Thumbs both feel knackered though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:23:16 pm »
My cycling injuries are mostly to the left elbow and leg, because they're the ones that hit the ground.  Ostensibly I'd blame riding on the left making for tighter turns in that direction, but most of them were off-road.

Other things vary.  Trouser wear suggests I strongly favour my left knee for kneeling, and it does seem to be that one that I always hurt by kneeling on an unseen pingfuckit.  Day-to-day hand injuries can go either way, depending on the nature of the injury (I'm more likely to skin my right knuckles, but hammer my left thumb.  Soldering iron burns are ambidextrous.  Stanley knife use without adult supervision seems to end up cutting the left hand.)  I'm more likely to injure my right foot by kicking things, because I balance better on my left leg.  My left eye is dominant, so if I squint into a stuck valve and it squirts pressurised meths at me, it's that one I tend to have open.

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:25:49 pm »
My cycling injuries are mostly to the left elbow and leg, because they're the ones that hit the ground.  Ostensibly I'd blame riding on the left making for tighter turns in that direction, but most of them were off-road.

Other things vary.  Trouser wear suggests I strongly favour my left knee for kneeling, and it does seem to be that one that I always hurt by kneeling on an unseen pingfuckit.  Day-to-day hand injuries can go either way, depending on the nature of the injury (I'm more likely to skin my right knuckles, but hammer my left thumb.  Soldering iron burns are ambidextrous.  Stanley knife use without adult supervision seems to end up cutting the left hand.)  I'm more likely to injure my right foot by kicking things, because I balance better on my left leg.  My left eye is dominant, so if I squint into a stuck valve and it squirts pressurised meths at me, it's that one I tend to have open.

Now hold on a minute, nobody mentioned tool-related injuries (and yes, I get the pun! ;D)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:28:12 pm »
Nobody specified cycling injuries either...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:39:42 pm »
It was the implication of the thread title, I thought.

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:45:56 pm »
50/50 - except to the right is almost always an ""ouch hit the ground event whereas to the left is often a rapid unclip "what the" event. So crash/unplanned dismount directions even but occasional damage not.

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »
Hmmm, something that I'd never considered before.   All my running injuries were to my left leg and my serious cycling injury was also to my left leg.   However, all the falls except one that I can recall on the bike have been to the right side.   How curious.   :)

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:48:59 pm »
The right as my derailleur is on the right and Sod's law applies.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:28:41 pm »
Collarbones equal at two all I think (although they're not actually equal as there is now substantially less of one than the other). Wrists also are equal at one each. Right hand gets put where it shouldn't more often than the other and leads by a couple of fractures. I have a definite preference for being driven through from the left though, so my right leg is pristine while the left isn't, various bits of it have got a bit overly dangly at times but never any fractures and the scarring is subtle. Top of foot, always the right. Toes, I've been complemented on my toes, long and elegant they said; snappy is what I think - all of them, but the little toe on my left foot has had a far harder life than the others, it's like a homing beacon for hammers, ugly furniture and newel posts. I've never injured an eye while cycling but embedded objects, chemical burns and ulcers favour the right; elbows, metal stanchions and other blunt trauma the left. My nose is displaced to the right, and I shall claim this as a cycling injury as I was rushing to collect a new bike when I stepped between two market stalls that were held apart by a single iron bar at what turned out to be my head height. I consistently use my right forearm when breakfalling and thus have one elbow that looks like an elbow and another that looks like a dog's toy, although the incident with the windscreen of a Vauxhall Carlton in Beddington didn't help.

Tl;dr - upper body injuries slightly biased to the right, lower definitely to the left; exhibits consistent failure to duck.

Actually, thinking about it there is a definite bias, both right collarbone fractures were due to cycling, right arm due to cycling. All the significant upper body fractures on the left were due to other sports. The cycling injuries to my lower limbs were all on the left, either from an initial direct impact or in the case of some toes from dismounting at speed.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:53:08 pm »
1. Right shoulder joint.
2. Right cheekbone broken plus abrasions on right side of face.
3. Right collarbone.
4. Right cheekbone hit causing crack in right orbit plus abrasions on right side of face.

Four incidents. No equivalent injuries on the left side.

1 was a skid on a steep downhill road, curving to the left.
2 was caused by a car driven right up against me on my left, so perhaps that should be discounted. There was nowhere to go except right.
3 was caused by a twig being thrown up into my front wheel & jamming it. I don't know which side it came from.
4 happened while turning right, round a roundabout. Perhaps that biased it to the right.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2016, 04:27:10 am »
1 x fractured pelvis, 2 x fractured hand & 1 x fractured finger. Separate incidents, all RHS. I'm forced to two conclusions: I fall to the right, and I just can't prevent myself from sticking my hand out as I fall  :facepalm:
Eddington Number = 132

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:31:03 am »
RHS, me: just one crash left me with a permanently weakened right shoulder, constantly recurring pain under shoulder-blade, and an irreparable deep-muscle tear between two lumbar vertebrae causing fatigue pain in compensating muscles ==> can't hold a weight in right hand for five minutes, and carrying a weight in left hand makes back hurt PDQ, as does cycling but endorphins deal with it. Usually.

Oh aye, and a fractured helmet, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

« Reply #15 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:43:06 am »
The two falls I have had this year were both the result of hitting kerbs….. I really need to learn to look where I am going eh! The first resulted in me landing in mud on my left hand side which caused no damage apart from dented pride, while the second resulted in me going highside over the bars and landing on my left knee and right shoulder…. Not sure how I pulled that off!  My shoulder still isn’t right and I can’t lift my arm above my head anymore without pain.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:53:04 am »
Roughly equal damage.

SS in both femurs (at different times, run over by car and MTB crash), SS in left tibia (the car), broken both ankles and left knee (the car), both wrists at different times (the car and a pothole), dislocated left shoulder (different MTB crash) and a couple of right knuckles (I used to get angry). Currently a cracked hip socket and painful shoulder on right side (slippery road).

An impressive array of scars, many from scraping along the blacktop, some from surgery. Virtually all are the result of cycling crashes over more than three decades.

Haven't broken a collarbone yet, so still not a real cyclist.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: 26 October, 2016, 09:59:59 am »
I have performed somersaults on both sides.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:13:27 am »
Neither. Broken back and neck in 2 places plus fractured skull.  All ok now.  I used to bounce better once.

From summer building work I am recovering from a slightly sprained right ankle and a stress injury to my left wrist.  Strangely, it seems that cycling does these injuries more good than harm.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:20:34 am »
From the bottom up

Broken second toes, both feet, rugby
Lost toenails - several, rugby, ultramarathons
Right ankle ligament damage, rugby
Left knee a bit iffy, rugby
Ribs, bruised, cracked, rugby
Left shoulder dislocation, rugby, now has a distinct offset vs the right and is still weaker 20+ years later
Thumbs - repeat dislocations - Rugby
Fingers, ring finger right hand, cracked knuckle, bouncy castle injury  :facepalm:

Cycling has not been too bad in comparison, maybe because I've never cycle commuted.
I've had two high speed cornering injuries one on each side with hip and shoulder bruising as a result
Stacked a bachetta at high speed while on an intro to recumbents day, slid along the ground removing skin from elbow, hip and ankle bone
Run of the mill failures to start/dismount etc with cleats, one was left into a pile of nettles - much amusement to the white-van-man next to me.
MTB fails, mainly into soft squishy stuff that smelled bad.

The head took the brunt of it as a kid and later on it seems,
walking in front of a swing
riding a bike into a brick wall
walking into a door
table tennis injury - narky opponent threw the bat at me
hit on the head with a chair
office cubicle partition

« Reply #20 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:25:25 am »
I'm going to show this thread to my wife. She thinks I'm accident-prone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:27:17 am »
As a motorcyclist I always felt more comfortable cornering to the left.  I never had as much confidence leaning to the right.
If I had to choose a side to fall onto I would choose my left (I'm right-handed).

Most Motorcyclists I knew had a favoured side for cornering, and could get down much lower on that side.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ben T

« Reply #22 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:32:55 am »
I am completely unsymmetrical in the upper body due to sport, but symmetrical from the pelvis down (probably) due to cycling.

A physio once pointed out to me that if I stand up straight normally without trying to lean or stretch, he couldn't see my bottom rib on the right but could on the left. Right shoulder is also lower than left, which I think is actually due to the increased torso/core tissue pulling it down more than the actual shoulder muscle being weaker.

The most recent time I fell off it was my hip that took the impact (solely) but my shoulder that suffered the soft tissue injury, something I still don't fully understand, other than to put down to referral and inter-connectedness between different parts of the body.

Despite falling off numerous times, never broken a bone, mainly due to being fairly risk averse, apart from possibly a toe as a child in a multiple people trying to dig the same too-small hole with too-large spades incident that healed on its own.

ElyDave

« Reply #23 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
As a motorcyclist I always felt more comfortable cornering to the left.  I never had as much confidence leaning to the right.
If I had to choose a side to fall onto I would choose my left (I'm right-handed).

Most Motorcyclists I knew had a favoured side for cornering, and could get down much lower on that side.

I used to be like that on the bike, favouring the left.  Managed to get too low once and caught a pedal, that pair of trousers was a write-off

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #24 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:06:56 am »
I'm much happier turning to the right.  All the offs where I can remember which side I came down on were to the right.  I've never broken anything in a bike related incident.
Oh yes I have.  A toe on the left foot, but that was due to its being doored whilst wearing spd sandals (not designed to release with sudden backward pressure).
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.