Author Topic: Yoga  (Read 5589 times)

annie

Yoga
« on: 18 November, 2008, 10:07:08 pm »
I started attending yoga classes 4 weeks ago after a very lengthy break of several years, I have done some at home on and off during that period.

The results have been amazing.  I feel refreshed, relaxed, invigorated and free from pain when I return home and the following day.

My flexibility has improved dramatically and my sense of wellbeing is marked.  Both tone and posture have also improved and had a knock on effect in my running and cycling.

Does anyone else find it helpful?

Re: Yoga
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2008, 10:53:44 pm »
Wossit do then?
Aren't there two different types of Yoga?
I've thought about trying it, but never really bothered.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2008, 08:47:20 am »
Many strands of Yoga exist. Guggle British Wheel. Been going regularly for 12+ years with Mrs g.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2008, 08:50:08 am »
I dont go, but would if I could find a bloke-friendly class near here.  I went to one in the next village which was all 60+ women and left after 2 minutes of being looked at like I was some kind of pervert.

One of my team is an instructor, she recons its turned her life around.

annie

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:24:52 am »
I think that Yoga works in different ways for different people.  I believe it aims to promote healing and wellbeing, improve health, posture and of course flexibility. 

It is important to find a class that welcomes all abilities (which all should do) and one where you feel comfortable in your surroundings, with the other people and of course the instructor.  The instructor should ensure that you do not work beyond your capabilities, too much too soon is not always productive and may lead to injury.  Vinyasa is the order in which postures are sequenced, these should be carried out slowly and in a controlled manner. 

Once a pose can be held for a prolonged period the benefits in terms of breathing, improvements to the nervous system, blood pressure etc can be amazing. 

The other important aspect of yoga is the bridge between mind and body, of which breathing correctly is paramount.  I find it hard to explain but in certain positions, my breathing takes on a whole new level, I feel at ease and at one with myself. 

This is the position that I find most comfortable.
Seated Forward Bend | Seated Forward Bends | Seated Yoga Poses | Asanas: Yoga Postures

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:30:28 am »
Seated Forward Bend | Seated Forward Bends | Seated Yoga Poses | Asanas: Yoga Postures

Hmm... I would definitely snap in two if I tried that.

annie

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:31:47 am »

The aim is to end up in the position and beyond but you have to start somewhere.... the improvements, if you keep it up, are dramatic in even a few weeks.

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:55:28 am »
I found yoga very useful while I did it, but sadly it's hard for me to find the time these days.

Of all the types I tried, I preferred Ashtanga - there, the emphasis is more on the movement and trying - if you can't manage a certain posture, then compromise: it doesn't matter so long as you tried! I also found that as there was more movement, my muscles were "hotter" and it was easier to attain postures. More sedate forms of yoga (like hatha) didn't allow me enough of a warm-up, and I invariably put my back out with the "cold" bends.

Even after a year's practise, I could never get my forward bends as good as that! My favourite pose is the inverted lotus (a shoulder stand with the legs in lotus position) but I can't find a picture. It's towards the end of the sequence, when you're tired, and when you get the balance just right, it's great - you could stay there for hours!

I'd like to find a yoga class (preferably Ashtanga) near me, but there doesn't seem to be any helpful directory online - searching for "Yoga Classes, Leatherhead" will bring up classes in Central London (too far) but not the ones I suspect are available in Dorking, Epsom or Chessington (just about doable). :(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

annie

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:06:34 am »
I found yoga very useful while I did it, but sadly it's hard for me to find the time these days.

Of all the types I tried, I preferred Ashtanga - there, the emphasis is more on the movement and trying - if you can't manage a certain posture, then compromise: it doesn't matter so long as you tried! I also found that as there was more movement, my muscles were "hotter" and it was easier to attain postures. More sedate forms of yoga (like hatha) didn't allow me enough of a warm-up, and I invariably put my back out with the "cold" bends.

Even after a year's practise, I could never get my forward bends as good as that! My favourite pose is the inverted lotus (a shoulder stand with the legs in lotus position) but I can't find a picture. It's towards the end of the sequence, when you're tired, and when you get the balance just right, it's great - you could stay there for hours!

I'd like to find a yoga class (preferably Ashtanga) near me, but there doesn't seem to be any helpful directory online - searching for "Yoga Classes, Leatherhead" will bring up classes in Central London (too far) but not the ones I suspect are available in Dorking, Epsom or Chessington (just about doable). :(

Is this what you mean? 

Shoulderstand / Bindu 6 / Issues of Bindu / Articles - Scandinavian Yoga and Meditation School

I think it depends what position you start off in as to how long it takes to achieve certain levels. 

Everyone within our class works to within their own limits.  The atmosphere is very comfortable, men and women, a wide range of ages and abilities.

I too like that position but probably prefer the plough.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:09:11 am »

The South East Region of The British Wheel of Yoga :: serving Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:22:29 am »

Is this what you mean? 

Shoulderstand / Bindu 6 / Issues of Bindu / Articles - Scandinavian Yoga and Meditation School

Not quite. Whilst in that position, slowly bring your legs into the lotus position, and bring your hands to your knees (but you shouldn't have the weight of your legs on your hands). It's pretty much the basic lotus meditation technique, but upside-down.

To get out of the posture, you keep your legs in lotus, and gently uncurl your spine along the floor until your torso is lying flat on the floor, and your legs are still in lotus, but sitting down, if that makes sense. There's a nice little back-bend you can do from there.

I probably haven't explained this well, but I can't remember the terms without my yoga book (this book - very good, despite the scary man in speedos).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

annie

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:07:01 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »
Would it be this one? :-\

Padma-Sarvangasana - Shoulder Stand Lotus Pose

Yeah - but the way I've always been taught (by at least three instructors) has the legs horizontal, not vertical. That photo above would only be a transition pose. Perhaps it's a variation exclusive to Ashtanga. :-\

Edit: found a picture at last! http://www.fitsugar.com/714352

Edit 2: you can then go from that pose to this (the fish), and it feels great.  :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:57:25 pm »
Would it be this one? :-\

Padma-Sarvangasana - Shoulder Stand Lotus Pose

Yeah - but the way I've always been taught (by at least three instructors) has the legs horizontal, not vertical. That photo above would only be a transition pose. Perhaps it's a variation exclusive to Ashtanga. :-\

Edit: found a picture at last! http://www.fitsugar.com/714352

Edit 2: you can then go from that pose to this (the fish), and it feels great.  :thumbsup:

I just found it in my Yoga Bible.  I might ask if I can try that at the next class, try being the operative word.

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:59:57 pm »
I just found it in my Yoga Bible.  I might ask if I can try that at the next class, try being the operative word.

Only try it if you're comfortable moving in and out of lotus, and you're comfortable doing shoulder stands (which from the sound of it, you are). Toppling over sideways when trying to get in posture can be painful.  :-[

But otherwise, have fun.  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2008, 04:37:36 pm »
I loved astanga and I'm enjoying hatha just now (well, not right now, I'm in the interweb place, but I'll be at yoga later) but I didn't like iyengar. There are loads of different types - some are basically lying down and breathing, some are very fast, dynamic and energetic. If I could find a convenient astanga class I'd go back to that, but I am enjoying hatha this term.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

simonp

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:10:21 pm »
Why not give Bikram Yoga a go?  :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2008, 09:32:08 am »
I don't think there is any in Edinburgh.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

annie

« Reply #18 on: 20 November, 2008, 10:02:24 am »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 20 November, 2008, 10:22:50 am »

Then you would probably benefit from a bit of stretchy yoga

« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
I dont go, but would if I could find a bloke-friendly class near here.  I went to one in the next village which was all 60+ women and left after 2 minutes of being looked at like I was some kind of pervert.

it's only been 2 years but finally theres a local yoga class!  It's in the village hall about 100 yards away, so I cant really *not* go.  First lesson tonight and I've been promised there are several other blokes going...

« Reply #21 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:29:21 am »

it's only been 2 years but finally theres a local yoga class!  It's in the village hall about 100 yards away, so I cant really *not* go.  First lesson tonight and I've been promised there are several other blokes going...
You'll have a good time, even if there are no other males there the ladies will make you feel welcome. I like doing yoga.

« Reply #22 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:36:26 am »

One of my team is an instructor, she recons its turned her life around.

I am the only bloke in my yoga class of older women. Often feels a bit odd but they are a good bunch so doesn't really matter.

A bit of humour now and again, they were pointing out how in one posture it was a lot easier for their chests to touch the floor.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #23 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:48:01 am »
I've started doing Pilates (from various DVD's that I've been able to take from the various libraries that I work at), and after the first session my upper arms, stomach and ribs were aching like mad. 3 sessions in and I feel really good.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 10 June, 2010, 11:16:29 am »
I've started doing Pilates (from various DVD's that I've been able to take from the various libraries that I work at), and after the first session my upper arms, stomach and ribs were aching like mad. 3 sessions in and I feel really good.

I did a Pilates for beginners class on recommendation of my chiro. I could see how the exercises were beneficial but didn't follow up. The class was comprised of post natal mothers, mums and girlies (and unfit blokes with bad backs...), not a terribly macho environment!