Author Topic: Injury to hamstring/glute  (Read 4379 times)

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
Injury to hamstring/glute
« on: 09 June, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »
Almost a year ago I had an accident whilst out running.  I tripped over a tree stump in long grass, my right leg went across my body and I then fell forward.  I had an immediate searing type pain at the top of my right hamstring and into my glutes.  I spent a considerable amount of time visiting a sports therapist and rested from exercise.  I gradually started light exercise again,  always being sensible.  The pain however started to get much worse and so I went to see an Orthopaedic Surgeon, who is also a cyclist and a runner.  I have recently had, xrays, mri and a bone scan.  I had an appointment for the end of this month to get the results but after falling off the bike yesterday I am now in more pain than I was when I first fell.  Lying down is the most comfortable position, sitting, getting up and down and bending cause me to scream out in pain.  I will therefore not be cycling or running for some time.  I now have an appointment to see the surgeon in the morning.  I don't know what to do with myself as it is so painful.

Has anyone had anything similar?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Injury to hamstring/glute
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:04:19 pm »
Sounds nasty, not had anything similar myself but wish you a speedy recovery  :-*

Rich

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »
Sounds nasty, not had anything similar myself but wish you a speedy recovery  :-*

Rich

+1

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:28:15 pm »
I've had snapped ligaments - yes, it was incredibly painful. Also took a long long time to recover.

Do take it carefully and hope the surgeon gives you good news.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:39:59 pm »
Yes. When I fell off my bike in March I was diagnosed with a fractured ischuim. The pain started with my inner thigh but soon moved round to the back, Ones hamstring muscles and glutes are attached to the ischuim and their tendons were all inflamed. It was my right side, bending and raising my left foot to pull a shoe on was painful for ages.  Walking unaided was exyremely painful for two weeks as was sitting. I had to walk by holding my buttock to support the muscles and tendons. The reflective pain as it healed went all round the top of my thigh.

perhaps not the same injury as you. I landed on my right thigh with my saddle btween my legs. It is possible that my crash aggrivated my injuries from before. Treatment was rest and ibuprofen but I stopped taking high dose of those because they gave me migraines.

pixieannie

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:00:53 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I hadn't realised you had come off in March, sorry to hear that.  When I fell off yesterday (3 times), I landed on my right thigh and then straight onto my bottom.  The pain radiates deep into the sit bone and into the pelvis.  It is one of the worse pains I have ever experienced.  I am unable to take NSAID's so bit stuck for pain relief.

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:25:15 pm »
HOW did you manage to fall off three times?

You need some morphine.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:27:43 pm »
HOW did you manage to fall off three times?

You need some morphine.

Mountain biking innit. Not sure morphine would have helped. ;)

Is there another, less extreme painkilling option?

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:33:51 pm »
Sorry, no remedies, just waves of sympathy - hope your appointment brings some relief.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »
*thinks hard*

Bodyboarding?  That's lying down, fun, and uses your arms.

Other suggestions are mostly NSFW ;)

Oh, and good luck with the results!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2010, 05:05:55 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I hadn't realised you had come off in March, sorry to hear that.  When I fell off yesterday (3 times), I landed on my right thigh and then straight onto my bottom.  The pain radiates deep into the sit bone and into the pelvis. 
It does sound very similar.

Took me 7 weeks before i was able to sit on a bike again. Here's the thread on it At A&E today

pixieannie

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »
I have Oramorph in the cupboard for emergencies, there's probably also Oxycodone at the back although I am not sure it will do much good.  I've been in so much pain it has made me feel quite sick.  My hip is also very painful.  I fell off three times because it was pouring with rain and the tyres had no real traction due to the inch thick coating of guk. 

The pain is exactly the same as with my original injury only much worse.  The surgeon did say this was the sort of injury found with ski-ing.

I feel like I have been in a car accident. :-\

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2010, 07:34:45 pm »
 Massage is good  ;) I'm on the way  ;D

More practically, have they X-rayed for broken hip/pelvis ? can be a common injury.
 If it is soft tissue I have found Ultrasound works well along with the rest and anti inflammatory's and proper sports physio massage [not mine  :demon: ;D

How about Lasonil cream rubbed in to help with swelling, I know it is pile cream but at Judo we all had some in our kit bags for rubbing in to injuries, it reduces swelling and brings out the bruising quicker.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »

More practically, have they X-rayed for broken hip/pelvis ? can be a common injury.

I know of four cyclists who've broken their acetabulum including me. Two of us were first misdiagnosed, it doesn't show up well on x-rays.

pixieannie

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »
I had months of sports massage therapy after the initial injury, along with ultrasound all to no avail. 

The xray came back inconclusive (sp?) although that was a month ago. 

I feel like I have flu and feel really sick and positively dreadful, even my head is throbbing.  I am not a wuss when it comes to pain but this is so horrible.  I don't even want to talk.

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:26:48 am »
I guess you need to convince them to do a CT Scan, that's what showed my broken pelvis in '07, the x-rays looked clear. I hope you feel a bit better today.

pixieannie

« Reply #16 on: 10 June, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »
The scan showed no lesions.  Although the pelvis on the right side looks much more uneven than the left?  He didn't examine me due to my pain.  He wants me to see a spinal surgeon as I also have severe pain in the coccyx. The pain is very real and so it is so frustrating as like the surgeon said, I'm normally so active.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #17 on: 10 June, 2010, 03:23:47 pm »
I tore a hamstring years ago playing squash ,it was very painful the only cure was rest as much as and time .