Author Topic: Frozen Planet. Another ace from the BBC.  (Read 11114 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Frozen Planet. Another ace from the BBC.
« Reply #75 on: 01 December, 2011, 05:52:11 pm »
Ten minutes into that, I concluded the most interesting animal on this planet is the Human. Fascinating, and sort of inspiring.
I think you may be right; have the BBC made any other programmes about this fascinating species?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

gordon taylor

« Reply #76 on: 01 December, 2011, 06:26:48 pm »
Ten minutes into that, I concluded the most interesting animal on this planet is the Human. Fascinating, and sort of inspiring.
I think you may be right; have the BBC made any other programmes about this fascinating species?

Er, a whole series: Human Planet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00llpvp

Also mindblowing, IMHO.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #77 on: 01 December, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »
I also enjoyed the gull egg harvesting chap turning his nose up at the chicken korma ready meal in the 'how it's made' bit - I didn't quite catch what he said though, I think it was subtitled or translated, but I missed it....
He merely said --- it was translated --- that he'd tried it before. His expression was everything.

What they didn't translate was what was so funny when the various hunters met up. Attenborough insisted that it was "the latest jokes", but you just know that it'll be the same routine every year:
Quote from: First Chukotka Hunter
I am the Egg Man.
Quote from: Chorus of Chukotka Reindeer Herders
They are the Egg Men.
Quote from: Second Chukotka Hunter
I am the Walrus.
All collapse laughing and roll around on icy floor.
Not especially helpful or mature

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #78 on: 02 December, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #79 on: 05 December, 2011, 03:35:11 pm »
I think I prefer the programmes about aminals.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #80 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:18:00 am »
Is it really true wot it says in the Grauniad TV guide about the climate change episode not being shown in the States?? I thought it was an internet rumour....
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #81 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:20:59 am »
It's true.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #82 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
Climate Change?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #83 on: 06 December, 2011, 01:31:57 pm »
Climate Change?
You know how last winter we had a LOT more snow-n-ice than usual in the south-east?

Climate Change. Seemples!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #84 on: 07 December, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »
Is it really true wot it says in the Grauniad TV guide about the climate change episode not being shown in the States?? I thought it was an internet rumour....

See the links I posted upthread.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #85 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:17:33 pm »
I also enjoyed the gull egg harvesting chap turning his nose up at the chicken korma ready meal in the 'how it's made' bit - I didn't quite catch what he said though, I think it was subtitled or translated, but I missed it....
He merely said --- it was translated --- that he'd tried it before. His expression was everything.

What they didn't translate was what was so funny when the various hunters met up. Attenborough insisted that it was "the latest jokes", but you just know that it'll be the same routine every year:
Quote from: First Chukotka Hunter
I am the Egg Man.
Quote from: Chorus of Chukotka Reindeer Herders
They are the Egg Men.
Quote from: Second Chukotka Hunter
I am the Walrus.
All collapse laughing and roll around on icy floor.

;D  ;D

I've just had a second "Worth the licence fee alone" moment from this series (the first one being the thieving Adele penguin). The submarine coming up from the ice. Awesome to start with, but with a beautifully comic twist when you noticed the lump of ice sitting on top of the conning tower, just like the snow on a car roof...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #86 on: 08 December, 2011, 10:42:49 am »
It's true, but the urban myth/internet rumour bit is the 'episode is banned in USA' story. I think Citoyen's link explains it all.  This story was carried by the Daily Mail. Need I say more?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #87 on: 08 December, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »
Not enough narwhals chiz but I can never get tired of penguins.  Also, Sir Dave is a fookin' legend.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 08 December, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »

I've just had a second "Worth the licence fee alone" moment from this series (the first one being the thieving Adele penguin). The submarine coming up from the ice. Awesome to start with, but with a beautifully comic twist when you noticed the lump of ice sitting on top of the conning tower, just like the snow on a car roof...
That was indeed rather awesome (and funny) - perhaps cos it wasn't what you expect from a nature prog. I bet the guys that make submarine movies are cross.

I do wonder how nervous they were while planning that:
Are you SURE this is where they'll surface? It all looks the same out here. Perhaps I'll leave you to man the camera ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #89 on: 08 December, 2011, 09:52:36 pm »

That was indeed rather awesome (and funny) - perhaps cos it wasn't what you expect from a nature prog. I bet the guys that make submarine movies are cross.

I do wonder how nervous they were while planning that:
Are you SURE this is where they'll surface? It all looks the same out here. Perhaps I'll leave you to man the camera ...

I hadn't thought of that! ;D

« Reply #90 on: 13 December, 2011, 06:16:29 am »
Turns out that some of it was "faked" :o

« Reply #91 on: 13 December, 2011, 07:40:48 am »
'Faked' is only the word you use if you're anti BBC, I reckon.

The Life of Plants had lots of sequences filmed in greenhouses, stuff that required long time lapse sequences. No one was bothered about them. 

I'm not remotely bothered myself. It's a rather small thing in the general scheme of the world...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #92 on: 13 December, 2011, 08:52:26 am »
There's a wildlife programme made in the Antipodes coming along on the BBC; when they filmed the bats they didnt like the look of the tree they were in, so they moved them to a more photogenic tree.

I'd think that this goes on all the time - after all they are faking the music and the noises anyway, what's wrong with adding some out of context footage too.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #93 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:04:19 am »
I'd think that this goes on all the time - after all they are faking the music and the noises anyway, what's wrong with adding some out of context footage too.
I guess the problem is the slippery slope - which is why the cameraman didn't make it upto the real polar bear den! IGMC ...

Sherioushly, this example didn't bother me much; I can see how hard the "genuine" footage would have been to get, and it wouldn't have looked any different.
However, if this sort of thing got out of hand it would impact on the credentials of the programme. A sort of suspension of disbelief is operating - once the viewer starts thinking about which bits are real, the illusion falls apart :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #94 on: 13 December, 2011, 11:10:07 am »
What's wrong with this kind of thing is that it changes the programme from a pure documentary into a dramatisation.

Why bother going to the Arctic at all? Why not do it all with CGI?

d.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #95 on: 13 December, 2011, 11:12:23 am »
I'm not sure a "pure" wildlife documentary has ever existed.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #96 on: 13 December, 2011, 11:39:17 am »
I am with Arch on this, and loved the Great Man's explanation: either the cub would have died, or the mother would have killed the cameraman. Speaking as a bird watcher...does anyone really think that the footage of, say, a lemming nervously twitching its whiskers, and that of a great grey owl grabbing dinner, are of the same lemming? Thought not.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #97 on: 13 December, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »
I can't get too bothered by it, but I do think it would have been better if they'd said "this bear, filmed in a wildlife sanctuary, is giving birth to cubs" or whatever. It's David Attenborough - we accept whatever he tells us as absolute truth!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

« Reply #98 on: 13 December, 2011, 01:45:46 pm »
I can't get too bothered by it, but I do think it would have been better if they'd said "this bear, filmed in a wildlife sanctuary, is giving birth to cubs" or whatever.

This.

I'm not so naive that I don't know this kind of thing goes on all the time, but I do wonder why it goes on. What's wrong with telling the truth? "We couldn't get a shot of this happening in the wild, but here's what it looks like..."

Austin Stevens was mentioned upthread and, tbh, I don't even regard his programmes as documentaries at all. But I expect higher standards from Attenborough.

d.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #99 on: 13 December, 2011, 06:53:08 pm »
When Constable painted his picture of Hadleigh Castle, he deliberately put Leigh Church in the wrong place. And he distorted the ruin to make it look more dramatic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.