Author Topic: Lead Me To The Darkside  (Read 22056 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Lead Me To The Darkside
« Reply #125 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »
From my observations, most people with mismatched legs favour a 'hip jutted out' position when standing as this compensates.

My physio said that it can go one of two ways - either you always bear weight on one leg, or you stand with your pelvis at an angle and suffer back problems.  The former is generally preferable.

I'm in the 'hip jutted out' camp, to the point where my right (longer) leg is severely underdeveloped in balance-stabilisation muscles.  Cycling brought those into play in a way that I simply hadn't been using before, leading to all sorts of interesting pain in the area immediately below the knee.

It also explains my hatred of doing prolonged washing up - having a cupboard door enforce straightened legs means that I get dreadful backache after a few minutes.  Hence I tend to wash things as I use them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #126 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:50:26 pm »
Maybe this kills my N+1 recumbent plans, I *know* (Diagnosed by a physio when I first reported problems with my right hip at 24 years old) I have an 18mm discrepency and as you observe tend to stand with my feet perpendicular to each other and the left hip jutted out.

You can always shim the cleats...

Mesh seats are probably a bit more forgiving, too.

« Reply #127 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:56:40 pm »
The bodylink seat may well be more forgiving (mine's the older one-piece version, on which there is exactly one really comfortable stable position), and I think you're right that a more reclined seat is less critical of leg-length.  I successfully managed to ride Charlotte's Optima Baron, in spite of the boom being about 6" too long for me, thanks to the relatively reclined position (it wasn't especially comfortable, though, and I had trouble seeing over the bars).

I don't know about anyone else, but I find that recumbents benefit from a more ankly pedalling technique than DF bikes, which gives a little bit more flexibility to compensate for boom adjustment.

...and of course if you havent' played with it, there's always the possibility that there's a better position you simply haven't discovered yet  :)

If it wasn't for my dodgy knees I'd be inclined to agree - on a DF I have my seatpost a lot higher than most, relatively, and then tend to sit on the back of the seat too (so much for KOPS !), and even with the USE shockpost that's on one mtb I can still discern a 5mm error.

As you suggested, I think the seat shape's a factor - not just the lower section incline (or lack of), but that the lumbar section curve is not so pronounced as I'd guess your hardshell seat is, and certainly not as much as on a Hurricane (I've got one sitting in the workshop sadly mostly ignored in favour of the SPM) - I'd guess Andy's seat would be pretty similar

The ankling bit might be relevant too - I tend to pedal toe down, tho' that's not always the case.

Andy's 2" shift (that's huge !)  might indicate there's quite a bit of wiggle-room, mileage and other biomechanical nasties permitting..