Author Topic: Audax song titles  (Read 51342 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Audax song titles
« Reply #175 on: 22 December, 2014, 01:08:19 pm »
As Cambrian Series organiser - Yazz and the Plastic Population - "The only way is up".  Best sung at the foot of the Devil's Staircase or Bwlch y Groes in the early hours of the morning.

Or Motorhead's "We are the Road Crew", the first 8 lines of which can pass pretty much unaltered...

Another town another place,
 Another girl, another face,
 Another truck, another race,
 I'm eating junk, feeling bad,
 Another night, I'm going mad,
 My woman's leaving, I feel sad,
 But I just love the life I lead,
 Another beer is what I need,

All accompanied by a riff that's reminiscent of a Yad Moss headwind.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #176 on: 22 December, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
Some songs suggest a specific narrative. This one seems to be about a 400 in Kent, he's been dropped early on, possibly a mechanical. His partner has gone on with the main group, and he's now considering using google maps to answer the information control question.

Many rivers to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Wandering I am lost
As I travel along the white cliffs of dover

Many rivers to cross
And it's only my will that keeps me alive
I've been licked, washed up for years
And I merely survive because of my pride

And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's such a drag to be on your own
My woman left me and she didn't say why
Well, I guess I'll have to cry

Many rivers to cross

But just where to begin I'm playing for time
There have been times I find myself
Thinking of committing some dreadful crime

Yes, I've got many rivers to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Wandering, I am lost
As I travel along the white cliffs of Dover

Yes, I've got many rivers to cross
And I merely survive because of my will...

Jimmy Cliff, and another classic from the great 'The Harder They Come' soundtrack of course, covered by some blokes named after an Uxbridge Post Code apparently.

Whether or not Jimmy Cliff ever went to Dover, I don't know, but there is a fantastic interview with him describing his first visit to England and his disbelief that white people lived in such little houses. I have heard similar stories from many first generation West Indian immigrants. With regard to the reference to Dover, I recently saw some old, post war, West Indian school books in which British lifestyle, British icons and culture were presented in a very quaint way!

« Reply #177 on: 22 December, 2014, 02:06:44 pm »
That song might suit the confused state of mind of the tired rider off course - I don't think there are many (if any) rivers that come out on the white cliffs of Dover.  A case of the words written for the sound rather than their sense - like most pop music!
The words actually fit the story and, in particular, the character played by Jimmy Cliff in the film. TBH, I'm not sure about the White Cliffs of Dover, but he is wandering around as a fugitive chased by the Police at one point...maybe Jamaica has it's own version? He certainly ends up on the coast as I recall.  ;)

« Reply #178 on: 22 December, 2014, 02:24:09 pm »
Yes, I've seen the film but it was a long time ago.  Maybe the white cliffs was a shady bar or something!  (Or a pile of cocaine!)

« Reply #179 on: 22 December, 2014, 04:50:27 pm »
Yes, I've seen the film but it was a long time ago.  Maybe the white cliffs was a shady bar or something!  (Or a pile of cocaine!)

LOL. I think it's more likely to be the Charlie  :-X

« Reply #180 on: 22 December, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »
I always thought it was because he was called Cliff, and the White Cliffs are the best known cliffs.

« Reply #181 on: 22 December, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »
A selection of songs which I often sing to myself as a pick me up on long rides...

Open all night - Bruce Springsteen
Eastbound and down - Jerry Reed
And, if grimping, and I'm certain nobody is around, "1,2,3,4 I love marine corps..."
You'll Never Walk Alone. Being from Liverpool, this ones in the blood. I keep it for when times get tough. Not had to break that one out yet...

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #182 on: 22 December, 2014, 08:29:39 pm »
Booom,Blast & Ruin - Biffy Clyro
Semi Mental - Biffy Clyro
Stop when the red lights flash - Green Day
Basket Case - Green Day
Minority - Green Day
Not enough time - INXS
Wait for me - King of Leon
Cold Desert - Kings of Leon
In the Light - Led Zeppelin
Motorcycle Emptiness - Manic Street Preachers
Starlight - Muse
Come as you are - Nirvana
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #183 on: 22 December, 2014, 08:42:35 pm »
I'm Alright (You Gotta Go There to Come Back) - Stereophonics
The Bike Song - Mark Ronson ("Gonna ride my bike until I get home")

or for me: -

I wasn't built to get up (at this time) - The Supernaturals
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #184 on: 23 December, 2014, 12:31:56 am »
I've been experimenting with late 1980s symphonic German rock as a backing for a Christmas video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAj4Qkkmjg

« Reply #185 on: 23 December, 2014, 12:47:31 am »
I believe you,  Damon,  but the link is to Keeping the Dream Alive!   However, I enjoyed that, though not without some poignancy at the loss of friends and a bit of a shock at the end when you hove into view, knees first.

Have a good Christmas!

Edit - Mein Gott!  Entschuldigen Sie mich, bitte!  It's Krautrock after all and I've never heard it before.  It's good, isn't it?  Excellent McCartneyesque singing in the style of Jeff Lynne's epics.  Or am I still making a fool of myself?!

« Reply #186 on: 23 December, 2014, 01:02:47 am »
Unfortunately I've chosen the one track that's not available in a wide range of territories. We can watch it though.

Afghanistan, Aland Islands, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Bouvet Island, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo - Democratic Republic of, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guyana, French Polynesia, French Southern Territories, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Holy See (Vatican City State), Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia - Federated States of, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norfolk Island, North Korea, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, West Bank, Western Sahara, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

« Reply #187 on: 23 December, 2014, 01:42:49 am »
I find it curiously reassuring that a video I've made can't be seen on an entirely uninhabited Australian dependency. It renews my faith in the power of geography. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands

« Reply #188 on: 23 December, 2014, 07:58:03 am »
I've been experimenting with late 1980s symphonic German rock as a backing for a Christmas video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAj4Qkkmjg

Doffs cap to Damon (now I know who you are)  :)
Great work Sir, excellent shot of the riders stopped on the bridge and good to see DAAAve again  O:-)
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #189 on: 23 December, 2014, 08:15:37 am »
A selection of songs which I often sing to myself as a pick me up on long rides...

Open all night - Bruce Springsteen
Eastbound and down - Jerry Reed
And, if grimping, and I'm certain nobody is around, "1,2,3,4 I love marine corps..."
You'll Never Walk Alone. Being from Liverpool, this ones in the blood. I keep it for when times get tough. Not had to break that one out yet...

I'm from near Brum.

Sir Harry Lauder,

'Keep right on to the end of the road."

Covered by Pinky and Perky in about 1964.

« Reply #190 on: 24 December, 2014, 10:07:38 am »
The almost universal youtube block on 'Keeping the Dream Alive' has sent me back to mid 70s Philadelphia, with a contemporary twist from 2 mins in. If you can call 'in the style of Chic' contemporary. Designed for dancing around the kitchen to. Over 7 mins, so you might need to pace yourself.
It's in the highest quality, so good for reviewing equipment choices on various 1200+ rides.The little sprocket at bottom right under the picture changes the settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_neKDxjVk

« Reply #191 on: 31 December, 2014, 08:48:24 pm »
How about So let Me Go Far by Dodgy. Could have been written for [name redacted]:

So in the morning I awoke
I turned my eyes towards the road
I swallowed hard and smelt the air
I cursed this world for not being fair
Oh in the morning I awoke

And through the seasons I have journeyed
Without a clue to where I'm bound
I lost my bearings long ago
I watched our heroes come and go
And since then I've heard no sound

So let me go far
So let me go far
And when I reach there let me know

« Reply #192 on: 01 January, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »
One of the first songs I ever used in a film was Drowning in the Sea of Love by Joe Simon.

I've been down one time
I've been down two times
But now I'm drowning, drowning in the sea of love

Let me tell ya all about it
I've been out here so very long, I've lost all my direction
Baby when you came my way I thought I'd found my protection
But a strong wind came into my life, surely took me by surprise
& I can't seem to control these tears that's falling from my eyes

Listen to me
Baby I depended on you, for a love & affection
But now you gone and deserted me, can't you see that I'm in desperation
I'm in the middle of a bad love storm, ew yeah I just can't let it boy I
Looked around and all I could see, was water coming over me

All I do is cry, all I do is walk around and cry
But right now I'm drowning, oh I'm drowning in the sea of love

But that's alright, I don't mind drowning for your love
That's alright baby, hear me when I say it's alright
You got the kind of love that make me feel alright
You got the kind of love baby that make me cry all night long
You got the kind of love baby make me do things I don't wanna do
And it's alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08t_uHnm_nc

« Reply #193 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:27:18 am »

« Reply #194 on: 02 January, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »
I heard something on the radio today that I just had to to a film for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkglbHXh1-o

« Reply #195 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:18:32 am »
Suzanne Vega must be an audaxer, who prefers riding in Primary, avoiding the gravelly corners and the slippy centre line, getting questioned by non-riders who think she's a bit potty.

Left of Centre

If you want me you can find me
Left of center off of the strip
In the outskirts and in the fringes
In the corner out of the grip

When they ask me, "What are you looking at?"
I always answer, "Nothing much, not much"
I think they know that, I'm looking at them
I think they think I must be out of touch

But I'm only in the outskirts and in the fringes
On the edge and off the avenue
And if you want me you can find me
Left of center wondering about you

« Reply #196 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:58:57 pm »
This evening as I thawed out from today's Poor Student, my toes and fingertips started Tingling and I just had LL Cool J's 'Jingling baby' in my head, except with the word Tingling replacing Jingling of course.....can't say I ever expected to post that one on here!

« Reply #197 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:09:21 am »
Let It Go from Frozen after I too thawed out and decided to let the experience go!
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

« Reply #198 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:25:03 am »
I used 'Life in the Fast Lane' in an LEL film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcXblWojdM

I've never had occasion to use 'Deperado', but it might work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDNtqy0zjJA

« Reply #199 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:18:36 am »
You could use "The last resort."

He came from Milton Keynes
the one in North Bucks
Where his old bicycle shorts hang
heavy in the air
He packed his hopes and dreams
in his pannier pack
Just as Tommy Godwin did, all those days back.