Author Topic: Shading arch  (Read 2503 times)

Shading arch
« on: 11 June, 2023, 05:34:34 pm »
We have a kinda courtyard bit outside our back bi fold doors. The back of the house gets super hot from the sun. Last year during the heatwave rigged a tarp up to provide shade and made massive difference. Had been working out what to do and considering an old sail or similar but would have to come out from above the binfold doors as the courtyard has on one side our kitchen and bathroom which are lower then the height of the doors.

Shes suggested a pergola or similar which I'd not thought of but sounds a great idea with something growing up it. My first thought was fig as its a warm sheltered area. However it will need to be in a pot as concrete and then foundations under concrete which were extended when we had bi folds fitted to support cross member support. Pot could be fairly large and long but no more then maybe a foot wide or bi folds won't be able to fully open

Any input please

Re: Shading arch
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2023, 06:55:06 pm »
That sounds a bit small for a fig. We have our figs in 18" pots and they are only about three foot tall and do not fruit. This winter they are going into somewhat bigger pots (should have been last winter, but life).
For something a bit faster, how about a hop or a clematis?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2023, 07:02:16 pm »
The wife initially suggested clematis, the hops sound a much more practical solution although would then need to find use for the hops

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2023, 07:39:08 am »
Pillows stuffed with hops were once used as a cure for insomnia.  Ms. Paltrow would certainly approve.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2023, 07:59:18 am »
Hop sap stains, so beware if you do grow them.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2023, 12:35:29 pm »
That trough is way too small to allow a decent root ball for a vigorous climbing plant. It’s also very high maintenance, would need daily watering. Clematis is definitely out as pots don’t give them the cool roots they need. Is there any garden within reach of the patio?  Then you can use hops, Russian vine, grape vine etc. trained to reach your pergola. But it will take 3-4 years to become established, plus the annual clearing up/pruning etc. My wife’s suggestion was the same as your first thought, a sail, and use the pot for something smaller and annual. Or get your pergola, use scrim netting over it for shade, and grow annual (cup and saucer plant for instance) up the supports.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2023, 06:01:19 am »
No we can't get anything from the garden unfortunately. The gate for accessing our garden and the path in are before the lawn/garden area

We currently have out herb bed made from sleepers in the court yard bit which measures about 1800 x 600 and about 600m deep but can't be that wide nearer the house or will restrict door opening. I could repurpose this

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:10:56 am »
How about a pergola with shading on top - like willow rolls - could remove in winter to allow more light in.
And grow annual climbers like sweet peas in your narrow trough.