Author Topic: Heavy Duty Bramble Removal  (Read 1654 times)

Heavy Duty Bramble Removal
« on: 30 October, 2023, 03:00:42 pm »
These are very old, thick brambles that have turned woody and need trimming. A hedge trimmer won't cut the mustard and we can't use a chainsaw (H&S innit?). Is there anything petrol -driven that will cut through such stuff?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Heavy Duty Bramble Removal
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2023, 03:15:20 pm »
Hedge trimmers vary wildly in their ability to cut such things.  My Ego monster battery one does pretty well (it also cuts through railway semaphore signal wires rather easily, oops)

Short of being unhelpful by suggesting a WW2 tank with a dozer blade (still mostly petrol driven), my next best solution would be a brushcutter blade on a heavy duty strimmer.  Bloody lethal things, though. (but our railway permits them with simple training, so maybe you'd be OK.)
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2023, 03:53:43 pm »
Brushcutter with blade.  Maybe a branch lopper if the thick bits are out of reach with the blade.  Lots of PPE.

Failing that, GAMI.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2023, 04:27:09 pm »
Yep, another vote for brushcutter here.

And for the PPE.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:12:50 pm »
As it happens, we have a new strimmer lying around waiting to be used. In the accompanying package was a brush cutter blade, so that'll be given a try next week.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2023, 07:21:52 pm »
You can get what I thinks called a scrub cutter. It's basically a love child of a hedge cutter and a strimmer, link below but from stihl looks like it may only be available for the combi system

https://www.sam-turner.co.uk/products/stihl-fh-km-scrub-cutter-145-deg-attachment-kombitools?variant=32444988227723&fo_c=603&fo_k=0bc59e0ac34e56937127ff58ac318e31&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIne2_382yggMVF-ztCh0Dogt1EAQYASABEgICm_D_BwE