Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195602 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #1050 on: 02 August, 2020, 07:37:01 pm »
Make that three. Love the ride on the Schwalbe’s but fragile.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1051 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:01:06 pm »
Likewise, the Schwalbe are my fave, but recommend for road use only.   
Maybe one of the Hutchinsons if you want to do some occasional gravel ?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1052 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:51:59 am »
OK, sounds like it might be best to steer clear of the Schwalbe.

Maybe one of the Hutchinsons if you want to do some occasional gravel ?

Hmmm, just looking at the Fusion 5 Performance, which is available in 30mm. Interesting... Although, looking at the figures at bicyclerollingresistance.com, they are slower than the Schwalbes with no better score for puncture protection. (Also slower than the Fusion 5 Galactik but with much better puncture protection.)

Everything so far seems to be pointing at the GP5000 as the best choice. They seem to be available at the best price too.

Given that I do like to hop off the tarmac and onto the trails occasionally, I really do need to get a gravel bike - or at least something that will take fatter tyres than 28mm.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #1053 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
If Continental didn’t mandate a hooked rim I’d not touch the Schwalbes with a barge pole.

« Reply #1054 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:04:46 pm »
I’m currently running a pair of wtb exposure tan wall on one bike. 30mm nominal - wider into 20mm internal rims. They ride nicely, seem fairly fast, and are wide enough for mild gravel and track use. Still losing air slowly, but overall positive. Probably gp5000 or pro1, but good useful tyres.

citoyen

« Reply #1055 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:33:24 pm »
I’m currently running a pair of wtb exposure tan wall on one bike. 30mm nominal - wider into 20mm internal rims. They ride nicely, seem fairly fast, and are wide enough for mild gravel and track use. Still losing air slowly, but overall positive. Probably gp5000 or pro1, but good useful tyres.
They do look interesting, thanks. Not sure tanwalls would be right for this bike but they appear to be available in all black too...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1056 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:21:49 pm »
riding in skoggy lanes after yesterday's rain caused my front tyre to puncture this morning. sealant leaked for about ten minutes, but eventually sealed the 2-3mm cut. checked the pressure when back at home and it was ~55psi (down from 80). there's still about 1000k left in the tyres, but will probably replace them with a new set rather than faff about patching this one. the bike needs a good scrub to remove a mixture of mud+sealant.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1057 on: 05 October, 2020, 11:25:27 pm »
Anyone got any recommendations for how to get a tight GP5000TL on to a Hope 20FIVE rim? This could be the first tyre/wheel combo in a lifetime of cycling that's defeated me.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

citoyen

« Reply #1058 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:01:39 am »
Anyone got any recommendations for how to get a tight GP5000TL on to a Hope 20FIVE rim? This could be the first tyre/wheel combo in a lifetime of cycling that's defeated me.

Are you lubricating the rim? I have some Schwalbe Easy Fit mounting fluid, which came with a tubeless kit along with rim tape and valve. I find it makes a big difference.

You don't need the special stuff though - a bit of diluted washing up liquid will do the job just as well.

citoyen

« Reply #1059 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:05:23 am »
Now my question: how do you remove old sealant?

I had a spot of bother with my front tubeless while out the other day - I don't think it was punctured but it was losing air, so I stopped and stuck a tube in so I could continue my ride and worry about it properly when I got home.

Tyre is all sorted now. Trouble is, I am left with a tube that's coated in sticky sealant...

« Reply #1060 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:10:06 am »
Let it dry out completely - I hang mine up.  It'll set to a rubbery consistency which can mostly be peeled off.  Time consuming and a bit messy though.

citoyen

« Reply #1061 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:18:43 am »
Let it dry out completely - I hang mine up.  It'll set to a rubbery consistency which can mostly be peeled off.  Time consuming and a bit messy though.

Ta! That's pretty much what I did before, I was just wondering if there was an easier way... mainly because it was indeed time consuming and messy.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1062 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:19:53 am »

have all the basics been done right? key ones being: the bead in the centre of the rim, tyre stretched/moved towards the valve, the part near the valve is mounted last.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1063 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:09:14 pm »

have all the basics been done right? key ones being: the bead in the centre of the rim, tyre stretched/moved towards the valve, the part near the valve is mounted last.

That's an interesting approach, I've always mounted the end furthest from the valve last, I guess as a result of old habits, but it makes sense to mount the valve area last - will give that a try on the dynohub when I swap it over this week!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1064 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:24:25 pm »

And, like with Marathons, using toe-straps of similar to "tie-in" the tyre at 90 and 270 degrees as you progress towards the valve.

« Reply #1065 on: 06 October, 2020, 07:13:44 pm »
I put a pot of 5000TLs on a new pair of wheels last week and they were both tight and have chunky beads. I finished up using a plastic tyre lever to help as I got close to the valve. The last couple of inches was by thumb. These and Challenge Paris Roubaix seem about the tightest tyres I’ve fitted recently, and the only ones that needed levers.

Of course, anyone using Chrina rims will have a different experience, but they are tubeless capable and don’t belong here!

« Reply #1066 on: 06 October, 2020, 07:53:09 pm »

Wipe the beads with a solution of water and washing up liquid

mr_brooks

« Reply #1067 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:42:53 pm »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/bbb-easy-tyre-fitting-tool-btl78/

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1068 on: 29 October, 2020, 06:26:16 pm »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/bbb-easy-tyre-fitting-tool-btl78/

Thanks for that, great tool. I used it in combination with little blue Schwalbe tyre levers. They don't look that special but they've got a built in clip so you can use them to hold the tyre in place on the rim while you work towards it. The biggest problem I was having without these tools was that the tyre would pull off the rim as quickly as I was putting it on. Even tie-wraps and straps didn't stop this but the little levers worked perfectly.

The GP5000s seated on the rims okay just using a track pump. I've inflated them dry and they're losing pressure, 80psi down to next to nothing in around an hour. Is that acceptable? Lots of the online guides show sealant being added as soon as the tyre is on, but other people have suggested that the tyres should hold pressure without sealant.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #1069 on: 29 October, 2020, 06:47:11 pm »
I’d suggest a bit higher pressure to get the bead seated before trying anything else. Say 120psi.

« Reply #1070 on: 29 October, 2020, 06:55:54 pm »
I’d suggest a bit higher pressure to get the bead seated before trying anything else. Say 120psi.

Definitely this - plus you might run a bit of soapy water around before you pump them up to help ensure the bead slips into place.

My 5000s held air pretty well, but if it took an hour to drop from 80 to low without sealant I wouldn’t worry. As long as they’re properly seated just add the sealant and some pressure then roll the sealant around the beads to seal any tiny leaks. Often i pick up the wheel, hold it vertically and shake it like a mad thing, gradually turning it through a couple of revolutions, to make sure the sealant has sealed everywhere.

I’ve been riding 28mm 5000s on 23 internal rims as few times now and like them. 70-75 psi rear and 65-70 front. I’m about 80kgs at the moment.

« Reply #1071 on: 30 October, 2020, 11:16:05 pm »
   It has probably been mentioned and mooted already numerous times but sometimes one layer of rim tape isn't enough, after adding a second layer of tape helped enable me to seat the tyre (Hutchison Fusion 5 all season 28c on a 21mm internal width rim)  using a hand pump,  and no soapy water or tyre levers.

« Reply #1072 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:36:06 am »
   It has probably been mentioned and mooted already numerous times but sometimes one layer of rim tape isn't enough, after adding a second layer of tape helped enable me to seat the tyre (Hutchison Fusion 5 all season 28c on a 21mm internal width rim)  using a hand pump,  and no soapy water or tyre levers.

I have apthe same setup. I usually fit the tyres with a tube initially, get both beads seated then leave overnight. Then deflate, pop one bead off, remove tube and add tubeless valve. I still usually need to use the booster on my Joe Blow “Booster” pump though, to get the bead reseated.

« Reply #1073 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:27:04 am »
I am giving my son a tubeless setup for Christmas BUT he likes tan wall tyres (I know :-\). Can the collective recommend a tan wall tubeless tyre for him?  Road and some canal paths/minor trails.

« Reply #1074 on: 03 December, 2020, 01:43:06 pm »
I am giving my son a tubeless setup for Christmas BUT he likes tan wall tyres (I know :-\). Can the collective recommend a tan wall tubeless tyre for him?  Road and some canal paths/minor trails.

Have a look at the Panaracer Gravelking range.
There are various tread patterns depending how far off-road he wants to go and the state of the trails.
I had a pair of the SK model. They were good on road and great on gravel but they struggled a bit in deep mud (though that could be lack of talent).
Puncture resistance was good (I ran them tubed) but they became more susceptible as they approached 5000 miles.
I've got a pair of the new, less knobbly variant on order. I've gone for the version with extra protection.

ETA: they're available with either tan and black sidewalls. I've gone for tan on the new set.