Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186247 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #475 on: 07 December, 2017, 06:01:11 pm »
Middle aged begins when you start doing middle-aged things, like buying a house, getting a serious job, a serious partner, having kids, wearing suits and ties (or their feminine equivalents) on a regular basis.

Was 41 when I bought house, 24 when I started a serious job, ?? when I had a serious partner (was 45 when D moved in), never had kids, wore serious attire for serious work.

So that had me middle-aged at 24...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #476 on: 07 December, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »
TBH, if you think that a serious job and buying a house are realistic propositions, you're definitely middle-aged.

« Reply #477 on: 07 December, 2017, 06:38:23 pm »
In my case, buying the house and getting the serious partner were, at least in part, attempts to prove to myself and the universe that I was grown up.
Once I got to thirty and realised that, by any definition I had to be an adult, I felt I no longer needed to pretend and got on with enjoying myself instead.
Finding myself chair of the village hall was probably a fair clue that I'd moved on to middle age, though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #478 on: 07 December, 2017, 06:52:57 pm »
I must be middle aged; I'm discussing cutlery and dining place settings on Facebook!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #479 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:18:08 pm »
TBH, if you think that a serious job and buying a house are realistic propositions, you're definitely middle-aged.
:D! To be fair that's more a generation gap than an age gap.

I must be middle aged; I'm discussing cutlery and dining place settings on Facebook!
That's not middle aged, that's middle class!  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #480 on: 07 December, 2017, 08:59:18 pm »
:D! To be fair that's more a generation gap than an age gap.

That's not middle aged, that's middle class!  :demon:

It is the 'I Grew up in Golders Green' board/group...

« Reply #481 on: 10 December, 2017, 12:43:31 pm »
It has snowed overnight.

You don't get up at 6am, jump in your car,  and go and do handbrake turns and power slides in Sainsburys carpark.

« Reply #482 on: 10 December, 2017, 12:49:49 pm »
When your doctor says "This is what happens when middle aged people play young peoples sports".

Not said to me this time. To my partner when she sprained her ankle jumping down off a climbing wall.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #483 on: 12 December, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
"A terrible confession it was but now, at the age of 53, he hardly needed people anymore."

"If you could be granted one wish... "
"To wake up one morning and feel that I was at last a grown-up person, emptied of resentment, vengeful thoughts, and other wasteful, childish emotions. To find myself, in other words, an adult."

"The thought came to him, struggling home; you don't have to be very smart to be an adult."

Wise words – words, anyway – from adults:
(click to show/hide)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #484 on: 13 December, 2017, 07:17:07 am »
Suit,  can be counted on the fingers and toes in the last ten years. Doesn't really work when talking to a man in a field  putting up telegraph poles.

Tie, twice

Other boxes - tick.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #485 on: 13 December, 2017, 07:57:41 am »
In the last 20 years my remaining suit has only come out for funerals.  My ties were all bought when I was much younger, and are now too small.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #486 on: 13 December, 2017, 10:43:53 am »
Your Mum forgets your birthday.
I remember the first time my mother forgot my birthday, I was gutted. Now I'd be happy if she just recognised me. :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #487 on: 13 December, 2017, 10:51:21 am »
Your Mum forgets your birthday.
I remember the first time my mother forgot my birthday, I was gutted. Now I'd be happy if she just recognised me. :(
:(

My mother-in-law asked my wife about me last time she (wife) visited her "What happened to that Australian you were living with? We worried about you and him. Only the dregs were sent to Australia."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #488 on: 13 December, 2017, 06:52:47 pm »
My clipboard from 1986 is older than half the students in my class  :-[

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #489 on: 14 December, 2017, 11:17:44 am »
Most of the striplings that work with me these days are younger than my 'career' with the company. It's actually possible, though unlikely, that I could employ a youth whose parents are younger than my 'career'.  :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #490 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:18:39 am »
Doing personal admin and I realised that I start drawing my Sharklays pension in five years and one month's time.  As a result I contacted all of my pension schemes yesterday requesting updates on my funds. 

Scary to think that I might retire in 5 years time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #491 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:27:46 am »
There used to be a pension advert in the paper, a bit like the Fry's 5 Boys ad: a progressively ageing bod going from age 25 (they tell me the job isn't pensionable) to 65 (without a pension I really don't know what I shall do).

Hum. Maybe you're (more than) middle-aged when you know that Fry's 5 Boys isn't a reference to paedophilia.

« Reply #492 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:36:29 am »
Hmm.  Well my Sharklays and other pensions start when I am 60* but of course my state pension will probably start the day after I turn my toes up at the ripe old age of one hundred and thirty three years!!!  :D

* I do in fact have various options across the schemes to start taking a reduced pension and / or drawing funds depending upon scheme from January!   :o

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #493 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:37:39 am »

Hum. Maybe you're (more than) middle-aged when you know that Fry's 5 Boys isn't a reference to paedophilia.

Not nessecelery. I has a jigsaw puzzle of old Cadbury's and Fry's choklit adverts (The five girls want Five Boys &c &c)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #494 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:24:45 pm »
There used to be a pension advert in the paper, a bit like the Fry's 5 Boys ad: a progressively ageing bod going from age 25 (they tell me the job isn't pensionable) to 65 (without a pension I really don't know what I shall do).

I remember the advert (was it Prudential?) and 5 boys, which was renamed as 5 centres; not my favourite confection: meh chocolate round meh-flavoured fondant in various screeching synthetic hues.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #495 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:48:25 pm »
5 centres was the garish but untasty cousin of Fry's chocolate cream and peppermint cream. Produced until 1992 according to Wikipedia, so you'd have to be about 30 to remember it. Which might or might not be middle aged.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #496 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »
Fry's Chocolate Cream used to be my Dad's cycling staple.  They didn't look like the current ones, though: they were at least twice as wide and half-heartedly marked off into portions.

« Reply #497 on: 23 January, 2018, 08:59:46 pm »
You contact lost property about your umbrella left on a train this morning instead of just buying another one
(or should this be in first world problems) and they say no black umbrella was found today on a train at Birmingham New Street  :'(

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #498 on: 24 January, 2018, 08:55:20 am »
apparently the number of phones handed into lost property eclipsed the number of umbrellas sometime in the 1990s

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #499 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:17:32 am »
All my computers have just reminded me that my little girl is 30 at the weekend and that I should buy her presents!

Middle aged? I feel positively old!