Author Topic: Fignon book  (Read 1606 times)

PeteT

Fignon book
« on: 20 October, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »
Laurent Fignon's 'We were young and carefree' (paperback edition) has just appeared at 'The Works' discount bookshop for £2.99 - got my copy from the Weston-s-Mare branch today (RRP £12.99).

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Fignon book
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »
There's also a copy in the YACF lending library.  I've currently got it and deliquium's after me, so join the queue and it could get to you some time before you finish your current reading pile.

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2011, 09:35:04 am »
It's a very good read though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2011, 11:14:04 am »
It's breathtakingly egotistic and mean-spirited (the message is, essentially, "I am a great man as well as a great cyclist; Greg LeMond is a soulless robot"). But I guess those are the qualities that make champions!

We never compromised in our approach to life. We were the rebellious element rather than yes-men. We were always alive: we were never robots. We were crazy, but had a certain dignity about us. ... I can be fairly precise about when the change came: the turning point was the final day of the 1989 Tour de France. ... The craftsmen were defeated by mass-production. Handmade goods were overwhelmed by factory-made stuff. Individuals were submerged in the anonymous mass. The people's heroes were strangled and the glory of the Giants of the Road trickled away.

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2011, 02:33:49 pm »
It's breathtakingly egotistic and mean-spirited (the message is, essentially, "I am a great man as well as a great cyclist; Greg LeMond is a soulless robot"). But I guess those are the qualities that make champions!

We never compromised in our approach to life. We were the rebellious element rather than yes-men. We were always alive: we were never robots. We were crazy, but had a certain dignity about us. ... I can be fairly precise about when the change came: the turning point was the final day of the 1989 Tour de France. ... The craftsmen were defeated by mass-production. Handmade goods were overwhelmed by factory-made stuff. Individuals were submerged in the anonymous mass. The people's heroes were strangled and the glory of the Giants of the Road trickled away.

But, in my view, what he says here exactly sums up the changes that occurred in the world - particularly mirrored in cycle racing, at that time.

Whether you see it as for good or ill, the Americans arriving in European races, together with a changing world, took us from a slightly mystical culture, of mysterious soigneurs, secretive frame-builders and ritualistic team culture into a world of pulse meters, tri-bars, scientific measuring and riders who wanted a say in team briefings. AND - they wanted their wife there as well (totally not allowed in the old team culture).

Personally - I loved the old times!

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:20:33 am »
Very poignant penultimate sentence:

"I still haven't surrendered, I'm still alive"  :'(
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:23:03 am »
It was egotistical, but then from what I've read, he was just like that.
It was certainly much easier to read than Cadel's book that my mum sent me. 

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:38:51 am »

But, in my view, what he says here exactly sums up the changes that occurred in the world - particularly mirrored in cycle racing, at that time.

Whether you see it as for good or ill, the Americans arriving in European races, together with a changing world, took us from a slightly mystical culture, of mysterious soigneurs, secretive frame-builders and ritualistic team culture into a world of pulse meters, tri-bars, scientific measuring and riders who wanted a say in team briefings. AND - they wanted their wife there as well (totally not allowed in the old team culture).

Personally - I loved the old times!

Well said!

Fignon didn't claim to be a great man, but he was certainly one of the all time great riders. LeMond by comparison was a calculating defensive robot who relied on natural talent and cheated his way to the 89 Tour win. Tri-bars should have been banned after that TT and LeMond thrown out of the race for using them.

« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »
Quote from: hubner
  Tri-bars should have been banned after that TT and LeMond thrown out of the race for using them.
You may care to review the logic of that statement. If you are a LeMond hater say so.  ::-)
Working my way up to inferior.