Author Topic: paper guillotine‏ advice  (Read 1984 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
paper guillotine‏ advice
« on: 09 June, 2008, 11:25:54 am »
Now I've got access to a decent laser printer at work I've worked out I can print leaflets a lot cheaper for various groups I work for rather than using local printers.

The final hurdle to over come is cutting A4 sheets down into 2 A5 flyers - this takes ages and can only be done at work which looks a bit suspect. The firm is fairly cool about printing 500 sheets of A4 but not cutting them up.

Does anyone have any advice on buying a guillotine? There's a massive range on ebay from £20 to £200, and likewise people like Staples do a similar broad range.

I don't really want to spend more than a £100, I get the feeling less than this means they only cut 2 sheets at time, and go blunt really quickly. ‏
A shitter and a giggler.

Re: paper guillotine‏ advice
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:47:10 am »
Stanley knife, chopping board and a metal ruler (or other straight edged piece of metal).

At 5 sheets a time it should take you under 30 minutes no problem.

Practice a few times first though so you know where to apply pressure on the metal guide and not risk your fingers.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:53:09 am »
Might it not be easier, and cheaper, to buy A5 paper?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:08:22 pm »
Link to a manufacturer and to an Ebay item.

Fiskars

Ebay

iakobski

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:45:10 pm »
Might it not be easier, and cheaper, to buy A5 paper?

Even cheaper is to buy A4 paper and ask them to cut it in half.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:33:30 pm »
Don't skimp is the best advise I can give. We've had gullitenes upto £130 and they were shite. I prefer to use a decent scapel and cutting mat. Granted not as fast but much nicer and only a few minutes slower.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
If you have access to a friendly local printer, it might be worth asking them if they'll cut your printed A4 sheets in two for you. It's what I do with all my leaflets and labels etc and my printer is happy to stick them under his "proper" guillotine and slice away, using a gurt big, seriously sharp blade. Might be worth an ask around.

Sara

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:41:01 pm »
We've got one at work that does over 100 sheets at a time. When It broke, a few years ago, the replacement guillotine was going to cost about £700  :o

It took me about 1/2 hour to manufacture and fit a new bit to replace the broken bit and it's been working OK ever since.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:50:45 pm »
You sir are the McGuyver of yACF
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium