Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3009896 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24650 on: 09 December, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »
There is a similar situation for car occupants, which I doubt many are aware of. If an airbag goes off while a driver or passenger is wearing an identity tag, very serious chest injuries are likely to result.

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24651 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:54:15 am »
I assume cycling instructors buy bar-end plugs in bulk, like IT teachers did with mouse balls before female meece became standard.

Commissaires at youth races often do. Riders aren't allowed to race (or ride in BC coaching sessions) without bar end plugs. 

There is a similar situation for car occupants, which I doubt many are aware of. If an airbag goes off while a driver or passenger is wearing an identity tag, very serious chest injuries are likely to result.

This makes our workplace Health & Safety circular every few months to remind people to take their ID passes off when getting in a pool car (presumably no one gives a crap if you hurt yourself in your own car). Personally, I always take mine off as soon as I leave the building so that people I don't know can't either read my name off the tag, or even see who I work for.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24652 on: 10 December, 2019, 09:01:18 am »

This makes our workplace Health & Safety circular every few months to remind people to take their ID passes off when getting in a pool car (presumably no one gives a crap if you hurt yourself in your own car).
Can't help thinking they'd get better compliance if they explained the reason. And maybe it would be worth including in the Highway Code and car handbooks and making something driving instructors tell you.
Personally, I always take mine off as soon as I leave the building so that people I don't know can't either read my name off the tag, or even see who I work for.
I always think it's a bit weird when people walk along the street with their name etc on display. I suppose it's just part of 21st century life though, like shouting into a little bit of wire round your neck.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24653 on: 10 December, 2019, 11:57:57 am »
In a meeting today, I was contemplating a scene that must have happened around 25 years ago, somewhere in Ireland (this was playing in my head in a broad Irish brogue):

"Oh yes, he's a bonny baby"
  "To be sure, he is"
"What are we going to call him?"
  "That's a complicated  question. We could try Patrick"
"Bejeezus no, he'll get called Paddy, and they'll think he's thick"
  "Well there must be something we can call him?"
"Well, what's our family name?"
  "that'll be O'Brien"
"Then let's call him Brian!"
   "That's a foin idea to be sure"

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #24654 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:25:06 pm »
Spelt Bryan, surely?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #24655 on: 10 December, 2019, 01:12:16 pm »
Spelt Bryan, surely?

No.

I refrained from asking if he had a middle initial B ( which would stand for, Boaty? )

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #24656 on: 10 December, 2019, 09:09:00 pm »
The good bike feels really heavy to pedal now. Looking at strava, it's done about 10,500 kms since I bought it, which has included a fair bit of riding on crap roads, off-road (including some cross) and so on. Am I going mad in thinking the BB might need to go? It's an rs500 hollowtech 2. Maybe it's worn out, maybe I'm just losing fitness. Don't have the energy to fettle it in the week... Definitely not the wheels as they're very new
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24657 on: 10 December, 2019, 10:47:34 pm »
Our choir will be singing in our annual carol service on 21st December. It's in aid of HARP, a local charity supporting the homeless. We will be visited by the mayor, the bishop of Chalmsford, and the Lieutenant of Essex.

Our chairman asked me this evening if I would act as host to the Lieutentant of the County, who it appears is Brenda's representative - after all, you can't expect her to come to Essex so she gets someone else to do her dirty work for her.

I expected it to be some stuffy retired general or other, but it seems that the Lieutentant of Essex looks like this:

It seems that Jennifer Tolhurst (for it is she) is the first woman to have held this position in its almost 500 year history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Tolhurst
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24658 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:49:50 pm »
Local freebie almost-magazine came through the door. It has, of course, a Christmas quiz, which includes the question "Into which body of water do the following rivers flow: a) Danube b) Ganges c) Tiber?" The answer for the last one is given as... the Persian Gulf!  ::-) ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24659 on: 11 December, 2019, 10:00:17 pm »
That reminds me of aGoon Show joke, when Caesar invades Britannia

"What's the Tiber?"
" Half past niner"

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24660 on: 12 December, 2019, 12:48:11 pm »
Local freebie almost-magazine came through the door. It has, of course, a Christmas quiz, which includes the question "Into which body of water do the following rivers flow: a) Danube b) Ganges c) Tiber?" The answer for the last one is given as... the Persian Gulf!  ::-) ;D
Methinks they meant Tigris...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24661 on: 12 December, 2019, 12:54:39 pm »
Methinks they meant Tigris...

Damned autocorrect.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24662 on: 12 December, 2019, 01:44:38 pm »
I'm sure they meant Tigris but whether it was autocorrect or confusion, I'm less sure.

ElyDave

« Reply #24663 on: 12 December, 2019, 04:15:24 pm »
Fuses do not always blow - fan heater plug, 13A fuse, Neutral completely melted, and of course plastic body so no earth

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24664 on: 12 December, 2019, 05:17:54 pm »
Probably because the current didn't exceed the fuse rating.  Similarly, no leakage to trip the RCD.

That looks like a dodgy connection on the neutral terminal, causing the junction to heat up (and probably exacerbate the loose connection by thermal cycling the screw) until the magic smoke escaped.

To prevent this sort of thing, screw terminals should be done up bastard tight, strain reliefs used appropriately (looks fine in this example) and resist the temptation to apply solder to the stripped wire to prevent the strands from fraying.

ElyDave

« Reply #24665 on: 12 December, 2019, 06:04:45 pm »
Thanks Kim, this was an off the shelf job, I'll check next time.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #24666 on: 12 December, 2019, 08:27:07 pm »
The good bike feels really heavy to pedal now. Looking at strava, it's done about 10,500 kms since I bought it, which has included a fair bit of riding on crap roads, off-road (including some cross) and so on. Am I going mad in thinking the BB might need to go? It's an rs500 hollowtech 2. Maybe it's worn out, maybe I'm just losing fitness. Don't have the energy to fettle it in the week... Definitely not the wheels as they're very new
Finally took the whip into the good bike shop. It's not good chaps. Actually looking at the chainrings, they are shark toothed to heck. The chain tool slips straight into the chain, the cassette is worn, the BB is shot, the headset bearings are all over the place, basically every moving part is damaged.

I am mooting going whole hog and paying for an ultegra mechanical groupo to be plonked on, because I want everything done right and in time for a Christmas adventure. I have only myself to blame for the chainrings and cassette but I hope going up 2 rungs on the ladder will yield a more resilient machine. I really do love the feeling of ultegra, I use it on my dad's bike and it's a treat.

I love the bike's frame and forks so while I'd normally think it'd be daft to upgrade a groupo on a bike instead of selling it and buying new, I think this can be justified. I might make a few quid back selling off the stuff that isn't completely done for like the crankset...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #24667 on: 13 December, 2019, 08:53:07 am »
That's the drawback to moulded-on plugs - no way of checking. In the early '80s Barclays had new equipment with moulded plugs and quite a lot were faulty. It's lucky that the plug could freely emit smoke - t'other sort might have done the orange flicker display.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #24668 on: 13 December, 2019, 12:24:00 pm »
That's me done with work for this decade.

Roll on Colorado!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24669 on: 13 December, 2019, 12:40:18 pm »
That's the drawback to moulded-on plugs - no way of checking.

Indeed.  Though some moulded plugs are clearly dodgy and belong in the bin.  Things to watch out for:

Lack of insulation on the live/neutral pins.
Insulation on the earth pin.
Lack of fuse.
Wrong fuse.
Fuse that looks counterfeit (wrong colour for its rating, not BS marked).
Fuse not in circuit.
Suspicious quality cable.

http://bs1363.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ has some photos...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24670 on: 13 December, 2019, 01:25:05 pm »
the cassette is worn, the BB is shot, the headset bearings are all over the place, basically every moving part is damaged.

Sounds like my right ankle.

ElyDave

« Reply #24671 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:45:09 pm »
this was not actually a moulded plug

ElyDave

« Reply #24672 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:45:34 pm »
the cassette is worn, the BB is shot, the headset bearings are all over the place, basically every moving part is damaged.

Sounds like my right ankle.

sounds like my entire body

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24673 on: 14 December, 2019, 08:32:24 am »
Race you to the cemetery.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #24674 on: 14 December, 2019, 08:55:26 am »
this was not actually a moulded plug
Yes, I realise that - I should have made clear that it was an aside.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.