Author Topic: FUN 8 motor to battery lead connector  (Read 1425 times)

FUN 8 motor to battery lead connector
« on: 13 May, 2019, 05:35:52 pm »
I can't see an electricity forum and as the motor is on a Bacchetta and knowing that Kim frequents this board I'll put it here.

My battery is 35V 15A. For the moment it is going to sit in a Radical Sidepod hanging off the seat.
Eventually it will be below the boom and I will lengthen the power lead by soldering a couple of lengths of Halfords finest 17A cable.
I would like a connector before the battery shoe and the connector is going to be exposed to weather.
Any ideas what I should be looking to buy? Something waterproof an in line perhaps, but I have no idea. I had a look on eBay and there was a bewildering variety of 'things'.

Any advice and/or links much appreciated.

Edit: the current arrangement is a pair of bullet connectors that the motor supplier suggests should be sealed in heat shrink.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: FUN 8 motor to battery lead connector
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2019, 06:06:35 pm »
If it's not being frequently disconnected to charge the battery, 2-pin Delphi Weatherpack connectors.  They're commonly used in automotive applications, and do a decent job of being both lightweight and everything-proof.

Bullet or Anderson connectors aren't ideal here, as there's enough DC volts that corrosion is likely if things get wet.

If you need the connector to unplug every time you charge the battery, you probably want something that's a bit more robust at frequent disconnections.  I've used a IP-rated Neutrik Speakon connector on barakta's trike.  Other reasonable options might be the Neutrik Powercon (which is actually designed for power - I used the speakon because I needed 4 pins for the separate lighting and motor supply) or an IP-rated XLR connector.

Re: FUN 8 motor to battery lead connector
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2019, 06:58:03 pm »
If it's not being frequently disconnected to charge the battery, 2-pin Delphi Weatherpack connectors.  They're commonly used in automotive applications, and do a decent job of being both lightweight and everything-proof.

Thanks Kim

The battery slides into a shoe which it makes connection to the motor through. I want to be able to separate the shoe from the motor occasionally. Those will do the job fine.
Of course, the only eBay UK seller is out of stock of two pins!
Ntw, now I know what to look for.

I owe you coffee, cake or coffee and cake. You ever had another Barakta's birthday in Sutton Park?

Edit: Found them on Amazon - cheers.
Never knowingly under caffeinated