Author Topic: Old laptops  (Read 593 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Old laptops
« on: 16 April, 2024, 12:05:17 pm »
I have a couple of old laptops, that I want to get rid of. Is there a way of recycling them ? My concern is with the hard drives and what personal information may or may not be on them.  The easiest solution is pull out the hard drives and scrap them, but it seems very wasteful.

Thanks

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Old laptops
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2024, 12:26:36 pm »
Have you thought about someone like the London Computer Recycling Charity (or your local equivalent)?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2024, 01:11:11 pm »
Thanks booked a collection

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2024, 01:26:21 pm »
Wipe the drives before handing over

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2024, 03:24:28 pm »
It's possible to reuse your own HDDs by using a USB HDD enclosure and a USB cable. I have a couple of enclosures I bought from a well known auction site for £5 each.

The HDD in its caddy can be plugged into any computer USB port where it should pop up as an external drive. You can format the drive to wipe the data at that stage.

I use mine for data backups as I'm less likely to lose them than I am to lose a USB stick.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2024, 04:05:30 pm »
I have a couple of old laptops, that I want to get rid of. Is there a way of recycling them ? My concern is with the hard drives and what personal information may or may not be on them.  The easiest solution is pull out the hard drives and scrap them, but it seems very wasteful.

Thanks

Are they viable as modern laptops as I need to replace a couple of win7 laptops that are very much passed their best.

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2024, 10:49:54 am »
It's possible to reuse your own HDDs by using a USB HDD enclosure and a USB cable. I have a couple of enclosures I bought from a well known auction site for £5 each.

The HDD in its caddy can be plugged into any computer USB port where it should pop up as an external drive. You can format the drive to wipe the data at that stage.

I use mine for data backups as I'm less likely to lose them than I am to lose a USB stick.

I used an enclosure for the HDD from an old laptop that wouldn't power up. I was mostly interested in seeing if I could find all of my ride data from 10-15 years ago (no such luck!), but using it for data backup hadn't occurred to me for some reason, so thanks for the idea.

velosam

« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2024, 05:22:20 pm »

Thanks

Are they viable as modern laptops as I need to replace a couple of win7 laptops that are very much passed their best.

these were way older and I did ask if they would wipe and they said yes. I have not used them in years and definately not for any online banking but I did for emails and I know I have changed my passwords. Hopefully be OK, too late now if not