Author Topic: Recommend a really good film.  (Read 5381 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Recommend a really good film.
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »
I loved The Prestige. Great performances from Michael Caine, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.
It twisted and turned and really appealed to me, I loved the ending!

That one irritated me immensely, for the simple reason that it failed to establish that it was set in a steampunk/fantasy universe early on, in spite of ample opportunity to do so.  Ruined the ending for me.
Now you see I would not say it's set in a steampunk fantasy universe.

It's all a very well designed and costumed portayal of the close of the Victorian age, Tesla yes does invent some fantastic replicating/quantumn state machine but that is the one time exception of the film that defies physics, a hell of a lot of films do the same.

When Tesla died the US government seized all his work so we will never know what he was up to, but thats the best premise of story telling, that bit of mystery.

I love that film - and the thing about it that haunts me (OK I know it's not real...)

(click to show/hide)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »
Other films I like

On Golden Pond
Tim
Gandhi
Apollo 13
Casablanca
Alien and Aliens (the rest are only meh)
Godfather

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:37:40 pm »
Up
The Life Aquatic
Lost in Translation
To Kill a Mockingbird
Witness
Breakfast at Tiffany's
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:41:41 pm »
Volver
Grow your own
Juno

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #29 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:50:24 pm »
Stalker
Airplane
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:56:50 am »
That one irritated me immensely, for the simple reason that it failed to establish that it was set in a steampunk/fantasy universe early on, in spite of ample opportunity to do so.  Ruined the ending for me.

Because it isn't. Christopher Priest (the author) is much more tricky than that. These days this stuff often gets called 'slipstream' rather than SF or fantasy, but the thing is with his writing (and this rather unusually good adaptation - although based on a very different premise than the novel) that it's never 100% clear what kind of reality we are in. Read the book though, you might prefer it, and also try his recent novel, The Separation...

Legs

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:13:01 am »
Four fillums that remind me of a good time in my life:

Forrest Gump
Kingpin
The Big Lebowski
Bowfinger

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:35:16 pm »

Forrest Gump
Kingpin
The Big Lebowski
Bowfinger

Just to say, these recommendations are now drifting very far away from the OP's request for non-Hollywood-blockbuster types of film ;)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
I'd thoroughly recomment Akira Kurosawa's 'Seven Samurai' - it's a fantastic film and seen as the inspiration of many other films, such as the Magnificant Seven and The Guns of Navarone, amongst others.

I first saw this with my dad, many years ago.  Our local cinema had a monthly film club, where the more obscure films that wouldn't have got a more commerical release were shown.  Watching it always reminds me of my dad.

Do try and get hold of the full 3hr 27min version.  There was a digitally remastered full version released in 2006 and it's on my list of DVDs to buy when I see it.

I'd also recommend 'The Killing Fields' - a powerful film.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #34 on: 07 June, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »
The Icelandic film Jar City is good. Very bleak, but good.

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Zoidburg

« Reply #35 on: 07 June, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »

I'd also recommend 'The Killing Fields' - a powerful film.
Now you see while the Killing Fields is certainly moving due to the subject matter I found the actual quality of the performances of some of main players a bit "meh".

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #36 on: 07 June, 2010, 06:50:36 pm »
Hyènes (Hyenas), a totally captivating and visually stunning adaptation of Friedrich Dürrenmatt's Der Besuch Der Alten Dame (The Visit), with the action transferred to Senegal, where it acquires an anti-colonialist message.

Doesn't get shown on TV very often but is well worth seeking out if you can find it on DVD. I love Dürrenmatt's play, which may have made me look more favourably on the film than I might have done otherwise, but it is unquestionably a beautiful piece of work in its own right.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Legs

« Reply #37 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:25:03 pm »

Forrest Gump
Kingpin
The Big Lebowski
Bowfinger

Just to say, these recommendations are now drifting very far away from the OP's request for non-Hollywood-blockbuster types of film ;)

Oh sorry, didn't read OP...  :-[  I was following in the footprints of the second page...

« Reply #38 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:43:40 am »
Room at the Top
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:50:47 am »
Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources

The latter has the benefit of Emanuelle Beart's breasts with some goats.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #40 on: 09 June, 2010, 03:17:45 pm »
Before they were ruined by some plastic surgeon. :(

She now has a plastic face, as well.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #42 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »
Mike Leigh's Secrets & Lies is very good IMO.  DB's Sunshine.  Also watch Groundhog Day again, it can't hurt.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #43 on: 11 June, 2010, 09:37:47 am »
As a one-off film, The Double Life of Veronique is superb. If you have the time to spare - and I'd really recommend you find the time - watch the Kieslowski Three Colours Trilogy in the Blue, White, Red order.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #44 on: 11 June, 2010, 03:35:41 pm »
As a one-off film, The Double Life of Veronique is superb. If you have the time to spare - and I'd really recommend you find the time - watch the Kieslowski Three Colours Trilogy in the Blue, White, Red order.

I recently watched Three Colours Blue and thought it was a superb film. I did not realise it was the first in a trilogy though.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #45 on: 11 June, 2010, 03:37:52 pm »
Thanks for all the recomendations guys and girls. I've ordered a bunch of them from the local library and looking forward to watching them all .
then win on experience.

« Reply #46 on: 11 June, 2010, 05:28:15 pm »

I recently watched Three Colours Blue and thought it was a superb film. I did not realise it was the first in a trilogy though.

3 wonderful films....3 beautiful women...

Irene Jacob.......

Little moment........
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #47 on: 11 June, 2010, 06:10:12 pm »

3 wonderful films....3 beautiful women...

Irene Jacob.......

Little moment........

Hands off, she's mine...

Yes, Blue is the first of the trilogy. Whilst you don't have to watch them in the "correct" order, seeing them out of sequence means you'd miss some of the serendipitous (?) moments, particularly at the end of Red. If you do watch White & Red now, look out for the court scenes and the people who poke their heads around the door...

Incidentally, in "Veronique" you get to see a lot more of Miss Jacob.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #48 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »
"I've loved you so long".  Beautiful, quiet film.

I have just finished watching this. It is indeed a "Beautiful, quiet film". Thanks for the recommendation.
then win on experience.

« Reply #49 on: 02 July, 2010, 11:32:52 pm »
MicMacs

Surreal
Beautiful
Grim
and funny
<i>Marmite slave</i>