Author Topic: Jalabert -- Tri  (Read 3210 times)

Jalabert -- Tri
« on: 23 June, 2008, 08:52:55 am »
9h14 for the Nice Tri, 12th overall, for Monsieur Jalabert. See here: http://sport.france2.fr/stade2 . It is nice to see a sportsman enjoying sports so much and in such simplicity. One of my very few sporting idols.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Jalabert -- Tri
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:56:43 am »
Bloomin heck! His swimming must have come on a bit from last year...

« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:59:58 am »

1h06 for 3.8 km... A great ambassador for (the) sport(s). If you watch the interview he "oozes" pleasure... (N.B. He is a cycling consultant for France2)

Blah

« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:46:30 am »
When I clicked the linky it couldn't find the page...

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:47:36 am »
When I clicked the linky it couldn't find the page...

Type in "Stade 2" in Google and you should find it on op of the page. Apologies!

Blah

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2008, 01:03:41 pm »
I see his swimming got a bit better but is not up there. So cool to see him go from 716th after the swim to 12th. Second fastest bike of the day. My word.

When I do mine in September i'll be very pleased if I'm less than 4 hours above his time...

« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2008, 05:06:02 pm »
I see his swimming got a bit better but is not up there. So cool to see him go from 716th after the swim to 12th. Second fastest bike of the day. My word.

When I do mine in September i'll be very pleased if I'm less than 4 hours above his time...

In the Hawai IronMan he passed over 500 athletes on the bike leg... And he can run too; better than Armstrong!

Blah

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:17:16 am »
And he can run too; better than Armstrong!

He can, although in Nice he definitely got his 12th because of his bike, not because of his swimming (which is about 15 minutes off a pro time) or his running (which again, is about 15 minutes off a pro time). Impressive though.

Mind you I don't imagine Jaja is encumbred too much by such banalities as a day job and child care...

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:20:59 am »
Mind you I don't imagine Jaja is encumbred too much by such banalities as a day job and child care...

No, indeed* -- I know the feeling too BTW. But he has nothing to prove either, and is doing it for the sheer fun it provides hime with; and at 39 these are good times. In the few interviews I have seen him give, at Hawai or here, he looks like a school boy with a beaming smile, which is refreshing.

*Look, Asics and others are also happy to chip in.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2008, 10:10:22 am »

EPO  ??? but of course he would deny it ;)

Blah

« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:51:08 am »
But he has nothing to prove either, and is doing it for the sheer fun it provides hime with; and at 39 these are good times.

IronMan is a game for the more mature man... at 39 he's in the prime of his life for this kind of thing.

On the nothing to prove thing, IronMan is a very different game from riding a bike. I think everybody who does it must be in it to prove to themselves they can do it. In Jaja's case that they can do it very well indeed. I may be wrong.

Not sure EPO helps swimming onb. In any case, not particularly interested to start a doping debate.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2008, 10:52:05 pm »
Great to see him doing well and enjoying it.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

gonzo

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2008, 07:56:24 pm »
I'll agree that he's one of the greats I've been privileged enough to watch race. I got mighty confused though the other day when I was watching a race in French and they kept on talking about L. Jalabert. Eventually it clicked that he was commentating!

Is it true that Jaja is French slang for drunk?

« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2008, 09:56:54 pm »
He works for France Television. He good at that too; he's got so much enthusiasm, yet manages to remain quite sober and calm. A true great and a happy man.

Jojo could imply drunkness...