Author Topic: Prizes for first back.  (Read 15886 times)

Re: Prizes for first back.
« Reply #50 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:26:58 pm »
What a bunch of cry babies.

Is there a prize for being first to well up?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #51 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:32:14 pm »
Probably.

But you'd have to enter the audax snowflakes' safespace to collect it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #52 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:46:52 pm »
There a special prize offered to *ALL* fixed wheel riders making a clear round (70" and no foot faults!) of the ANNNfractuous...

It is the the reknowned Bacon Butty D'Or!

Though TBH, its been in the cupboard so long waiting for somebody to claim it that it is now more like the Bacon Butty D'Vert....

whosatthewheel

« Reply #53 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
Can you please point out any bashing of fitter riders or any witches being hunted in this thread?

Over the last page the usual theme of "faster riders" is creeping up... the carbon bikes, the "dashing randonneurs"...

The thread didn't have legs to stand on and someone is therefore turning into the usual debate

Steel + mudguards value riders VS carbon fibre antisocial riders...

A totally imaginary distinction that has no reason to exist because simply does not reflect any real (or perceived) divide

« Reply #54 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »
So, as I thought; there was no bashing of fitter riders and no witch hunts at all.

Thanks for clarifying.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #55 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:03:27 pm »
...and yet, not a word about the fact that the prize is an alcoholic beverage given to somebody that didn't ask for it and will likely ride/drive some more to get home...  :demon:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #56 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
To hear of riders waiting for controls to open baffles me. Stop at a ‘spoons and enjoy a burger and pint.

What baffles me is the idea that eating a Spoons burger could be more enjoyable than riding your bike fast.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #57 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »
To hear of riders waiting for controls to open baffles me. Stop at a ‘spoons and enjoy a burger and pint.

... eating a Spoons burger...

That's a rather tasteless comment.

« Reply #58 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:14:00 pm »
He's just chewing the fat, Ian.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #59 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:15:11 pm »
The thread didn't have legs to stand on and someone is therefore turning into the usual debate

Did it not? Sorry for starting it. We are however on page 3.... in fact it was less of a debate than I thought with the majority agreeing with me. I’ve not seen fast rider bashing and it was never my intention.

John

« Reply #60 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:22:43 pm »
 I ride semi fast so that I have time to enjoy the ‘spoons veggie brekky or burger chips and pint meal deal, or McD meal/pancakes/McFlurry, or cafe nosh, and watch the world (and other Audaxers) go by. I tell my club mates it’s not a race, and I wouldn’t want to risk damaging my best (racing) bike on an Audax. Let everyone who finishes be awarded a drink of whatever, not just the first three.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #61 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:28:44 pm »

Did it not? Sorry for starting it. We are however on page 3.... in fact it was less of a debate than I thought with the majority agreeing with me. I’ve not seen fast rider bashing and it was never my intention.

John

I wouldn't have started it. The organiser in question is among the best out there and his events are brilliant. I've done a couple and never got the feeling there was some sort of race going on.
There are a number of club riders who take part and they tend to be on the swift side, but no racing at the front, none whatsoever.

Saying that an organiser is promoting racing because he jokingly offers a beer to the first back (I don't think the expression "first finisher" was even used)... what if the first back was someone who DNF? Is it still a race or maybe the organiser is promoting cutting corners to finish first?

C'mon, completely blown out of proportion and supported by a number of forum locals who should really know better that bringing in police, lawsuits and all sorts of nonsense.

« Reply #62 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:37:27 pm »
Sorry! Just replied to the burger comment on phone and didn’t spot there were previous comments. I’m not having a go at fast v slow (think I’m somewhere in between). I take a while chewing and digesting food otherwise I feel sick when setting off again, so I ride a bit faster to allow for that time. Audaxes aren’t races, so there shouldn’t be any prize for finishing first.

Have the meat eaters tried a ‘spoons veggie burger?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:38:21 pm »
Prizes for first back turn the rides into races. End of.

Is my school of thought.

No problem with prizes for completing your first ride of $distance, most comedy bike, most ambitious newbie, youngest rider, most unfortunate mechanical, most spectacular bodge, looking most haggard at the finish, completing your 100th brevet on your 100th birthday, best spokey-dokeys, or whatever.  Those would be entirely within the spirit of Audax, and Not A Race.

citoyen

« Reply #64 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:40:38 pm »
He's just chewing the fat, Ian.

Last time I had a Spoons burger it was more like chewing cardboard.

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:45:36 pm »
completely blown out of proportion

You're getting hysterical. And taking comments like the "dashing randonneurs" out of context doesn't help. Go back and read that post again and see what it actually said.

« Reply #66 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:01:50 pm »

Is my school of thought.

No problem with prizes for completing your first ride of $distance, most comedy bike, most ambitious newbie, youngest rider, most unfortunate mechanical, most spectacular bodge, looking most haggard at the finish, completing your 100th brevet on your 100th birthday, best spokey-dokeys, or whatever.  Those would be entirely within the spirit of Audax, and Not A Race.

Not in my experience.

Do you seriously think that there would be any difference in finishers' times on parallel events, one offering a pint to first back, and the other event not?

Heck, Ive ridden these events. I've even had a pint at the end. It made no difference whatsoever to the manner in which anybody rode....but the pint was quite welcome nevertheless.

It's all part of the fun, and the pompous windbags on this thread can stuff their opinions where the sun doesn't shine.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #67 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:08:57 pm »
Go back and read that post again and see what it actually said.

I can't find the comment anymore, either I imagined it or it has been deleted...

anyway...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:12:56 pm »

Is my school of thought.

Not in my experience.

Do you seriously think that there would be any difference in finishers' times on parallel events, one offering a pint to first back, and the other event not?

Heck, Ive ridden these events. I've even had a pint at the end. It made no difference whatsoever to the manner in which anybody rode....but the pint was quite welcome nevertheless.

A race in which nobody makes particular effort to win is still a race.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:26:19 pm »
Be honest; you only brought this up because the diversity thread was slowing down, didn't you?

I love threads like this.

Gives me a chance to update the old iggy list.

Am I on it now? ;D
I've been trying for 10 years - so you've got no hope! Clearly a very exclusive club.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #70 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:53:00 pm »

Is my school of thought.

Not in my experience.

A race in which nobody makes particular effort to win is still a race.

And this is only a problem for those who can only see things in black and white.

Sportives aren't races. But they are more race like than a fuken audax with a pint at the end.

« Reply #71 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:14:42 pm »
Be honest; you only brought this up because the diversity thread was slowing down, didn't you?

I love threads like this.

Gives me a chance to update the old iggy list.

Am I on it now? ;D
I've been trying for 10 years - so you've got no hope! Clearly a very exclusive club.

You've been on there since the beginning Matt. I occasionally click to see what crap you are spouting.

You never disappoint, I'll give you that  :-*

rob

« Reply #72 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:31:18 pm »
First rider back on my 400 used to have to get me out of my sleeping bag.

The prize was me walking round in my pants putting the kettle on.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:57:28 pm »
First rider back on my 400 used to have to get me out of my sleeping bag.

The prize was me walking round in my pants putting the kettle on.

;D
The next time we spend 10 pages arguing about the "Spirit of Audax", someone remind me to quote this post.

But getting back to the (alleged) point:
I very much doubt this beery prize has done any real harm - or indeed is likely to in the future - but I think Philip is now doing the right thing  :thumbsup:

If you're going to have a "joke" prize, it really should be for something a little silly; not just the winner!

p.s. it looks like a nice event. Logistics are a bit tricky, but I'll try to do it some day. Presteigne is the centre of the Audax world :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ben T

« Reply #74 on: 12 September, 2018, 08:27:48 pm »
I once remember an organiser starting riders on an audax with the words "ready, steady, GO" - or it might have been "on your marks, get set, GO". Is that against the rules of AUK/law of the land/laws of social niceness?  :D