Author Topic: Warfarin and surgery?  (Read 928 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Warfarin and surgery?
« on: 22 November, 2013, 10:36:12 pm »
I was sent to A+E last week where they tell me I have a Deep Vein Thrombosis in my calf. Given the injections to use for a week and then on to Warfarin. Been on that for a week and the INRs are at a good level.  This morning I was in Orthotics at Kendal Hospital about the Metatarsals wot is knacked in my foot. The treatment a couple of months ago hasn't held up so they say it is probably the right thing to go for surgery and fuse/screw the bones in my foot. With the Warfarin they are concerned and say I need to be off it for at least 5 days before I am booked in for the operation. Is Warfarin something I can just stop and lay off for a while and then just go back on to it or do I need to find out about alternatives? I know I will see the lady at the Anti Coagulant clinic in a week or so but I would appreciate any general knowledge to ease my mind until then.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Re: Warfarin and surgery?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2013, 08:00:36 am »
Depends if you are regarded as a high risk for another DVT or not. If you are then you stop warfarin 5 days before, then have a daily injection of heparin each night prior to your surgery, and continue this every night till you get home when then restart warfarin. If low risk then just stop the warfarin 5 days before and restart the night after surgery.

Each hospital tends to have its own protocol but it will be similar to what I have outlined above. The hospital where you are going to have the surgery should have a pre-assessment organised for you where they'll discuss this sort of thing.

Hope this helps.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2013, 10:00:18 am »
Thanks YOAV, that's what I was looking for. The guy I saw the other day wasn't the consultant I'd seen last time and he was heavily accented so I wasn't sure I might not have missed anything.  I'm hoping when I get the appointment letter it will advise me on the subject but I just wanted to stop myself fretting too much in the meantime.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2013, 11:40:30 am »
Yoav has the answers. IMO it's FAR too early to stop the Warfarin if it was only started for a DVT last week.
The surgeons should sort this out in their pre-assessment clinic but it might be useful to touch base with your GP.

AAO

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2013, 09:43:25 pm »
I have no experience of Warfarin, but before the several operations that I have had since my heart attack I have been told (during my pre-op interviews) to stop taking Aspirin a week before each procedure. Just in case, make sure that all your Doctors are aware of all your medications.
Good luck.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »
I had a very minor procedure a few weeks ago. Those involved checked several times that I was not taking warfarin. (I'm not.)
I hope your surgeons are as diligent.