Author Topic: Bivvys and bivvying.  (Read 14918 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Bivvys and bivvying.
« Reply #50 on: 25 August, 2018, 06:39:36 pm »
So find somewhere to park legit, pick up rucksack, become walker.  Or find campsite.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #51 on: 25 August, 2018, 06:53:40 pm »
So find somewhere to park legit, pick up rucksack, become walker.  Or find campsite.

Yes that would work fine, not always easy to find suitable parking near where you want to camp though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #52 on: 30 August, 2018, 11:20:14 am »
Hunka arrived this morning. Had a quick try for size, with the sleeping bag. I can see why some people advise going for the XL but as long as I'm only trying to fit myself and my sleeping bag inside it, it should be nicely cosy. Looking forward to putting it into active service.

Next on the shopping list is a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite. Might make do with a cheaper alternative for the time being though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #53 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:50:45 pm »
Hunka arrived this morning. Had a quick try for size, with the sleeping bag. I can see why some people advise going for the XL but as long as I'm only trying to fit myself and my sleeping bag inside it, it should be nicely cosy. Looking forward to putting it into active service.

Next on the shopping list is a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite. Might make do with a cheaper alternative for the time being though.

Yes, the XL is probably only "needed" if you put your sleeping mat inside the bivy.

For summer use pretty well any sleeping mat will do, you only really need decent quality insulation in winter. You can get uninsulated inflatable mats for under £20, a bit comfier than CCF but a lot less bulky. Unlike sleeping bags, winter rated sleeping mats are fine for summer use too ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 31 August, 2018, 12:23:23 am »
Well, I was in Go Outdoors earlier so thought I might as well look at what they had in the way of mats while I was there, and ended up coming away with one of these:
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-compact-3quarter-2-5-self-inflating-mat-p321418

Not bad for the price. It doesn't really self-inflate, so you have to blow into it a bit, but I had a little practice with it out in the garden and it seems to do the job. Impressed at how small it packs down too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #55 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:24:18 pm »
Yes, the XL is probably only "needed" if you put your sleeping mat inside the bivy.

Or unless you have breasts...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #56 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:50:08 pm »
Not sure if there is a PSA thread or one for bargain announcements so I'll put this here since we've been talking about it.

There's a 20% sale at Alpkit so the Hunka XL is now £54! https://www.alpkit.com/products/hunka-xl

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #57 on: 09 May, 2019, 11:03:23 pm »
Got my first ever bivvy bag off Facebook the other day for £28 including post. Score! QG I think it may be the same as yours - an ex army polywarm products gore tex bag.

Taking it to Belgium tomorrow night. Very excited to see how it works out.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #58 on: 19 May, 2019, 10:04:00 am »
What an excellent thread!

Only two mentions of wild animals: boar and slugs. I am a lot happier about the first than the second
I don't like the thought of sharing with insects so I sewed a mesh with velcro closer across into my Hunka XL.
I've only slept in it 4 or 5 times and always under a tent flysheet but I now have a Bearpaw Lair which I think qualifies as a tarp tent and, pitched low, gives more weather protection than a plain tarp and an easier pitch.

I must make more effort to bivvy this year!
Never knowingly under caffeinated

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #59 on: 24 June, 2019, 02:58:06 pm »
I did my first audax bivvy 2 nights ago, went very well. British Army gore tex bivvy bag, which I grimly thought may also double as a body bag as I lay down inside it. I picked a bit of a dry farmer's field which was very comfy (I think farmer's fields are good spots as the crops are draining loads of the water out of the earth). Crucially the weather was dry too, not much wind.

I used a go outdoors el cheapo 3/4 mat https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15917939/oex-compact-3-4-2-5-self-inflating-sleeping-mat-15917939 , a travel pillow I got from my mum, and two of these cheap sleeping bags Decathlon used to do (I think they were £6 each or something silly), one inside the other.

I kept my clothes on (short sleeve base, merino leg and arm warmers, shorts and jersey) as well as my cap to keep my non-pillow side ear warm. I felt snug as a bug in a rug.

Not the world's most compact sleeping system but I had a really good quality lie down and had no feelings of sleep deprivation the next day. I think it was well worth the weight penalty.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

ElyDave

« Reply #60 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:00:47 pm »

That's the accomodation sorted for my trip to Scotland.

Will test it out tomorrow probably

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:21:54 pm »

That's the accomodation sorted for my trip to Scotland.

Will test it out tomorrow probably

What's your plan for dealing with the midges?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

« Reply #62 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:45:31 pm »
Oddly last time I was on the Islands, no midges.  Last time in the highlands however, where I'll be staying on my way up...

I'm thinking of one of those lightweight sleeping bags with the mossie net over the head, I'll cook in my heavy feather bag

ElyDave

« Reply #63 on: 06 July, 2019, 02:25:20 pm »
Blooming heck, I'm amazed how much extra heat gets trapped in the Hunka. I ended up having to pull the sleeping bag out of it and sleep just in the sleeping bag, and that was plenty warm. 

Off to buy one of those lightweight sleeping bags with mozzie net ==>