Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450503 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3350 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »
Such a contrast to Steve's improved model diet. A sort of Desperate Dan meets Alf Tupper, Tough of the Track.
There's a couple of cultural references to baffle Alicia.

« Reply #3351 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:16:16 pm »

You can Google anything nowadays.  There are no more mysteries.

« Reply #3352 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:39:49 pm »
It would be interesting to hear how Kurt's feeling 3 weeks on - warm afterglow of satisfaction or existential void?  The legs involuntarily pedalling in bed or waking at 4am?
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #3353 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:50:11 pm »

That's how I found out about Steve's visits to the Lake District and Cornwall during the One Year Time Trial.

« Reply #3354 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:52:02 pm »

That's how I found out about Steve's visits to the Lake District and Cornwall during the One Year Time Trial.
No mysteries, just misinformation.

« Reply #3355 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:55:18 am »
I always wondered if there'd been a real Alf Tupper. There was a runner with a similar story, John Tarrant, but he came after Tupper.

In 1950, at the age of 18, John took up boxing in Buxton, and earned a total of £17 at prize-fights in his local Town Hall.[2] He did not much enjoy boxing, but found during his training that he had a talent for long-distance running. Accordingly, he gave up boxing the following year and turned his sights to training for the marathon, hoping to compete at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy.

In 1952 John applied to join the Salford Harriers in order to register with the Amateur Athletic Association of England. On being asked whether he had ever played sport for money, he chose to answer honestly and declared his brief career in prize-fighting. Due to the strict amateur code enforced at the time, he was immediately banned from competition for life.[2]

Despite this setback, he continued to train, and (with the assistance of his brother Victor) began to gatecrash races to which he was officially refused entry, often out-performing recognised champions of the day. Nicknamed "The Ghost Runner" by the Press, his popularity eventually led to a relaxation of the ban against him: From 1958 he was permitted to compete nationally, but would remain ineligible to be selected for his country, and hence never did compete at the Olympic Games.

In the 1960s he turned to ultra-marathons, and set world records for 40-mile and 100-mile distances.[3] In 1967 he became the first man ever to win the season's grand slam in Britain's four principal ultra-marathons (the London-to-Brighton, Isle of Man, Exeter-to-Plymouth, and Liverpool-to-Blackpool).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tarrant_(athlete)

It's probably inevitable that Steve's ride will become harder in legend, while Kurt's becomes easier. From a British standpoint.

The Toffs v Toughs storyline occurs in the  US cycling film 'Breaking Away'. There was a bit of an echo of that in the Lance story.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3356 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:16:43 pm »
Such a contrast to Steve's improved model diet. A sort of Desperate Dan meets Alf Tupper, Tough of the Track.

Alf Tupper: now that takes me back...  :)

Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #3357 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:05:00 pm »

It's probably inevitable that Steve's ride will become harder in legend, while Kurt's becomes easier. From a British standpoint.

It started early on and I believe you are right. The British have a stake in this, an emotional attachment, history and pride.  Americans really don't. It's just an amazing achievement. At the beginning it was the tortoise and the hare. Now, I wonder how the story tellers will play this out?

Alf Tupper, that's a funny one! Kurt does like fish-n-chips... not to mention beer!!!  :thumbsup:

Still haven't tried beans on toast... will attempt to try and let you know...  ???
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3358 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »
Is fish'n'chips even a thing in USAnia? :o
Getting there...

« Reply #3359 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:22:17 pm »
I never found a proper chippy whenever I've been to the USA. Not sure whether you can get baked beans over there either,
Tarzan and Whip would do well to come over to the UK, do some rides and enjoy some British stuff like fish, chips, beer in pubs and other stuff.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3360 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:51:11 pm »
And curry.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3361 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:24:25 pm »
I never found a proper chippy whenever I've been to the USA. Not sure whether you can get baked beans over there either,
Tarzan and Whip would do well to come over to the UK, do some rides and enjoy some British stuff like fish, chips, beer in pubs and other stuff.

I agree TG! I think if you mentioned it to Tarzan...  ;D :thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup: ;D Mention food and beer, that helps! ;D
Besides, this getting back to normal life seems weird, out of sorts, can't put my finger on it... Don't you think? 
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3362 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:27:48 pm »
Have a holiday in Milton Keynes!

« Reply #3363 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:34:33 pm »
Baked Beans aren't the same in the USA, even the Heinz ones.

Four flavors of its new HomeStyle Beans, a name that borrows from the company's HomeStyle Gravy line, are rolling out in grocery stores around the country, after successful tests last fall in several markets including Pittsburgh.

These are not the same beans that Brits have served on toast as a comfort food since 1901. The U.K. label and recipe are different. Theirs are white navy beans in a simple tomato sauce.

For U.S. customers, Heinz officials tapped the expertise of the company's Canadian operation, which is also big into the baked beans business and offered up 12 to 14 recipes to choose from, said Noel Geoffroy, vice president, Heinz Brands/U.S. Consumer Products.

"We tweaked them as appropriate for the U.S. consumer," said Ms. Geoffroy, who has years of experience marketing brands from Folgers and Pringles to Heinz ketchup.

Customers here will choose from traditional combinations such as brown sugar and bacon; molasses and pork; and maple flavor, as well as the trendier Chipotle BBQ Style.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/businessnews/2012/01/25/Heinz-brings-beans-back-to-U-S/stories/201201250251

« Reply #3364 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:40:13 pm »
Whew, then I'm off the hook?  ;D ::-) :P O:-)

« Reply #3365 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:43:33 pm »
You can't escape that easily, you can have a trip out to Jacksonville. The cutlery is set out wrong though.

http://www.arktimes.com/EatArkansas/archives/2014/04/14/get-your-uk-food-fix-at-wee-bettys

« Reply #3366 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »

This is getting weirder and weirder: Britain as a gastronomic destination, and visit MK for your holidays.

« Reply #3367 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:54:15 pm »

This is getting weirder and weirder: Britain as a gastronomic destination, and visit MK for your holidays.

No weirder than PBP. Starts and finishes in a French version of MK, and sausages are available all the way round.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3368 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:58:00 pm »
If Whip & Tarzan ever manage to come over I would travel to the UK from Germany to buy them a beer to say thanks for the entertaining and fascinating times following their progress last year.

Don't forget how much tastier European chocolate is too than American chocolate. I found American chocolate tasted weirdly slimy.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3369 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
Is fish'n'chips even a thing in USAnia? :o

It has been attempted - on at least one occasion.
My grandfather was Editor-in-Chief of a local newspaper group in Nottingham and as I recall the story they printed a special edition 'front-page' with spoof Robin-Hoodery to be exported to a new start up somewhere in USA that wanted to create the 'proper' fish & chips in newspaper experience.

« Reply #3370 on: 02 February, 2016, 06:30:27 pm »

I agree TG! I think if you mentioned it to Tarzan...  ;D :thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup: ;D Mention food and beer, that helps! ;D
Besides, this getting back to normal life seems weird, out of sorts, can't put my finger on it... Don't you think?

I reckon Tarzan would love a curry and lager. As for beer, Wowbagger and Hummers would put you right.
I never found any decent chocolate in the USA either, just that Hersher stuff, or whatever it's called. It's started to appear over here now but British confectionary is much better than anything I've tried in the USA.
It still feels a bit weird for me not having to go out every day.

Britain has a good reputation for food nowadays. And people do come to Milton Keynes for a holiday, and return. It wouldn't be my first choice either but an American might feel more at home here with the grid road system and shopping centres. Plus it's handy for a lot of nice places to visit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3371 on: 02 February, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »
[...]people do come to Milton Keynes for a holiday, and return. It wouldn't be my first choice either but an American might feel more at home here with the grid road system and shopping centres.

Lest we forget: Milton Keynes did a passable[1] impression of New York in Superman IV

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/superman-iv/33015/a-pilgrimage-to-the-filming-locations-of-superman-iv#main-content-area

[1] To an 8 year old Brit who'd never been to USAnia.  Less so when I happened to see it again as an adult.   ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3372 on: 02 February, 2016, 06:38:11 pm »
Tradition has it that USAnians visiting Britain go to London, Edinburgh and Stratford-upon-Avon. Kurt and Alicia would clearly have to travel by bike, and for old time's sake should include Lowestoft, Goole and Marsh Gibbon.

« Reply #3373 on: 02 February, 2016, 06:55:34 pm »
Scotland is also very popular and I would definitely recommend it for cycling and food. Especially Fiddlers in Drumnodrochit on the banks of Loch Ness. Very good food, all fortified with whisky and probably every possible Scotch whisky available. Also worth touring Wales.

« Reply #3374 on: 02 February, 2016, 06:57:15 pm »
Would be great to have Kurt and Alicia at Long Itch.   Waddya think chaps?  THe friday night chip van and beer in the pub, the slow ride for food on Saturday?   Just up Kurt's street.  No?   :D