Author Topic: Meeces!  (Read 10577 times)

bikenerd

Re: Meeces!
« Reply #75 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »
With your avatar, I have this vision of you swooping down on them from above, before swallowing them and regurgitating their bones.   ;D

Yum, yum, yum.  Belch!

(Actually we used the tried and trusted traps'n'poison.  An owl would be far cooler!)

« Reply #76 on: 04 November, 2008, 07:11:55 pm »
One of the most disturbing things I've ever seen was about 30 dead moles strung up on barbed-wire beside a field in the Scottish Borders....like some sort of warning to other moles....   

I've seen that sort of thing - never really sure what the point is.  I've dispatched 6 of the buggers now.

The mole catcher was paid by the farmer to clear the moles, so the dead ones were hung on the fence as proof.  It's an old tradition.

rae

« Reply #77 on: 04 November, 2008, 07:37:56 pm »
It's an old tradition. 

I always thought the severed tails were offered as evidence.  Hanging them up just means that foxes will bugger off with them - as I found when one of my traps was dragged 100 yards and left with a well chewed mole in it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #78 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:14:34 am »
Saw two this morning and heard another one at the same time so it must be a proper infestation again. This lot aren't bothered by the peppermint oil, unfortunately, but they do think Sorex Mouse Killer II is delicious. I'm so stressed about it, I can't go through another 6 months of massive infestation like it was last time.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #79 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:31:34 am »
Oh no. Can the council help? they do have a pest control bit, don't they?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #80 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:09:59 pm »
Last time I went to talk to Environmental Health cos they were upstairs from where I used to work. Their advice was "don't bother asking us to do it, we'll put poison down, come back a few weeks later to renew it, and charge you £80. Get Sorex Mouse Killer II and use it."

So I did. They do eat it and it kills them but I'd rather they just stayed away in the first place.

« Reply #81 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
Ah. Bugger. Good luck with getting rid of them this time.

We have a wee plug in thing that is supposed to get rid of them - Nutty recommended it ages ago.

I bought it earlier this year - Corvine saw a mouse a few times, and we heard some scratching in the walls, and I got all in a panic. And we don't seem to have them any more. I have no idea whether the noise is working, or they just went away...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #82 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:16:56 pm »
Saw two this morning and heard another one at the same time so it must be a proper infestation again. This lot aren't bothered by the peppermint oil, unfortunately, but they do think Sorex Mouse Killer II is delicious. I'm so stressed about it, I can't go through another 6 months of massive infestation like it was last time.

Need to borrow a cat?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #83 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:56:35 pm »
I had those ultrasonic things and I might as well have shoved them up my arse for all the good they did at keeping mice away.

Anth, I might resort to borrowing cats and just suffer the asthma as a price worth paying. My friend has a pair of Singapuras he'd be happy to lend out for a while (mainly cos they jump on his head in the middle of the night) but I think they're too stupid to catch mice. If I'm still having problems next week, I'll swap your cats for my Cycle magazine!

« Reply #84 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:40:31 pm »
I had those ultrasonic things and I might as well have shoved them up my arse for all the good they did at keeping mice away.

Careful this is going NSFW
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #85 on: 06 November, 2008, 07:45:54 pm »
... but they do think Sorex Mouse Killer II is delicious. ...

I misread that as Soreen, and wondered why you were feeding malt loaf to them ...
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #86 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:21:58 pm »
Seems that there are a lot around at the moment. Must be ideal breeding conditions. I have trapped 11 in the last two weeks, including two today...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #87 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:07:29 pm »
You ought to free Pudleglum up from the carpentry duties so she can catch the mice
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #88 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:13:32 am »
My cleaner killed two yesterday by stunning them and then stamping on them. I'm delighted and suggested she change her title to cleaner and Mouse Killer Extraordinaire. Yay for dead mice!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #89 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:26:15 am »
We have now left the (mouse-infested) building. :D

Finished cleaning and went.  Lots of dust from the mice doing demolition work, getting between rooms, but all looks sparkling.  Any poo the next tenant finds has been placed in an SEP field.
Getting there...

« Reply #90 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:41:30 am »
My cleaner killed two yesterday by stunning them and then stamping on them. I'm delighted and suggested she change her title to cleaner and Mouse Killer Extraordinaire. Yay for dead mice!

How did she stun them? I have visions of a cleaner in a pinny doing a one handed handstand and juggling with her feet.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #91 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:41:52 pm »
She probably nagged them about my untidiness - it stuns me how cheeky she is to me when I'm the one paying her!

« Reply #92 on: 13 April, 2009, 07:44:27 pm »
I found a rat today, and ended up having to batter it to death with a hammer. It was caught in a mouse trap behind the dishwasher, but being designed for smaller prey, the trap only seemed to be enough to trap its head, rather than despatch it. It was scuffling about trying to get out, although I imagine having been hit in the neck by a mousetrap bar it was probably injured.

I've never directly killed a vertebrate before. I've ordered a bunch of easy-set rat traps just in case it invited some of its little friends along as well. They're a lot more straightforward than a hammer  :-\

Regarding 'humane' traps: I was under the impression that was against the law to release vermin? What are you meant to do with the critter once you've caught it?

« Reply #93 on: 13 April, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »
I found a rat today, and ended up having to batter it to death with a hammer. It was caught in a mouse trap behind the dishwasher, but being designed for smaller prey, the trap only seemed to be enough to trap its head, rather than despatch it. It was scuffling about trying to get out, although I imagine having been hit in the neck by a mousetrap bar it was probably injured.

I've never directly killed a vertebrate before. I've ordered a bunch of easy-set rat traps just in case it invited some of its little friends along as well. They're a lot more straightforward than a hammer  :-\

Regarding 'humane' traps: I was under the impression that was against the law to release vermin? What are you meant to do with the critter once you've caught it?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9nGyPz9uT0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/F9nGyPz9uT0&rel=1</a>.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #94 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:56:59 am »

If it's a grey squirrel, you *could* apply for one of the 200 release licences issued each year and legally release it some months later after all the paperwork has been completed (by which time it would be quite fed up of the humane trap, I imagine). But otherwise, kill it.

Either with bullet/air-rifle pellet to the base of the skull, or the more complicated but fewer-legal-complications-of-gun-ownership method of a half brick: put a large plastic/hessian sack over the mouth of the trap, transfer the vermin to the sack, work the critter until its head is secured in a corner of the sack and apply half-brick forcibly to rear of head. Works every time. Wear gardening gloves to avaoid being bitten through the sack.

If you get a squirrel, hang it for a day before skinning - it's much easier then - and substitute it for rabbit in recipes. No-one ever notices the difference if you take the bones out before serving it.  ;)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #95 on: 14 April, 2009, 12:05:40 pm »
Or just bite the head off!   :demon:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Chris S

« Reply #96 on: 14 April, 2009, 12:08:05 pm »
Wear gardening gloves to avaoid being bitten through the sack.

Yes indeedy - having one's sack bitten through is, I'd imagine, extremely painful.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #97 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »
I think the rodenty little fuckers are back, and what's more, they've hidden the peppermint oil.  >:(