Author Topic: Dummy hub/chain keeper  (Read 3541 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Dummy hub/chain keeper
« on: 11 October, 2020, 02:28:35 pm »
Who uses a dummy hub/chain keeper for bike cleaning?

Looking at a few options and wondering if anyone has any recommendations. The Park one is expensive (of course) but is it worth it? The Morgan Blue one is cheap but is it any good?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Dummy hub/chain keeper
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:35:13 pm »
Who uses a dummy hub/chain keeper for bike cleaning?

For what?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

Dummy hub/chain keeper
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:41:31 pm »
Acts as a dummy cassette to hook the chain over while the rear wheel is out. Useful while cleaning.

Whether or not they’re a good idea probably depends on your approach to chain cleaning.

I’m in two minds, hence canvassing for opinions.

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:49:44 pm »
Have you not got a mushroom type pin on the right seat stay for such purposes?

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:55:06 pm »
I'm sure I've seen a budget option recommended, but dashed if I can remember where...  (perhaps on the CTC forums?)

If you're using one of those brush-and-bath feed-through cleaners I can see it being useful, otherwise less so.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2020, 03:02:38 pm »
Bike cleaning? You’ll have to explain that part ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2020, 03:05:20 pm »
Bike cleaning? You’ll have to explain that part ;D

That was my point...

Just add more lube to replace the stuff the rain washes off...

J
--

« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2020, 03:06:04 pm »
Useful for bike cleaning, and also for transport. I like the ones that go across the rear dropouts, like a false axle if you get the idea, and have a free running plastic pulley.
After a few years of riding many of us will have an old cream crackered rear wheel. You can cut the hub out of the rim, and I then use just one cassette sprocket in the centre of the body, using old cassette spacers to take up the extra space. Also ideal for transport as it prevents the rear ends being accidentally squeezed.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2020, 03:23:37 pm »
Have you not got a mushroom type pin on the right seat stay for such purposes?

Not on the plastic bikes.

Some years ago, I astounded a clubmate when fixing a rear puncture on a club ride and using that pin to hook the chain. He'd never known before what it was for. I think I learned its purpose in similar circumstances.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »
After a few years of riding many of us will have an old cream crackered rear wheel. You can cut the hub out of the rim, and I then use just one cassette sprocket in the centre of the body, using old cassette spacers to take up the extra space. Also ideal for transport as it prevents the rear ends being accidentally squeezed.

Good thinking!

Come to think of it, I'm sure I have some old packing spacers knocking around somewhere that would probably do the job.

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2020, 04:14:42 pm »
I have 2. A Morgan Blue one, and a Lifeline one from Wiggle (£6)

I'd say if you have discs they are a no-brainer

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2020, 04:39:33 pm »
Are we talking about these things?

I've got a couple for when I need to take the rear wheel off to transport the bike, the only problem is with the Focus RAT system it doesn't provide the counter to the tightening in order to stop the axle just turning and coming out.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:30:31 pm »
I have 2. A Morgan Blue one, and a Lifeline one from Wiggle (£6)

I'd say if you have discs they are a no-brainer

This is more or less my thinking. Sounds like your experience confirms it. Thanks.

I've just placed an order for the Morgan Blue one (actually 50p cheaper than the Lifeline one on Wiggle right now).

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:34:21 pm »
Are we talking about these things?

Yup. Although I'm looking at ones for QR rather than thru axle. Some mount on just one side, eg the Morgan Blue one I just ordered, but as Giropaul says, some go the full width and so can be used as spacers when transporting the bike. (I like the look of the Morgan Blue one over the Lifeline one because it has a wingnut rather than a QR lever, so I imagine is likely to be more secure in use.)

the only problem is with the Focus RAT system it doesn't provide the counter to the tightening in order to stop the axle just turning and coming out.

That's annoying!

« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:43:53 pm »

Yup. Although I'm looking at ones for QR rather than thru axle. Some mount on just one side, eg the Morgan Blue one I just ordered, but as Giropaul says, some go the full width and so can be used as spacers when transporting the bike. (I like the look of the Morgan Blue one over the Lifeline one because it has a wingnut rather than a QR lever, so I imagine is likely to be more secure in use.)

Doesnt make too much difference really, but if its TAxle then you have to take a bit out of the Wiggle one first. Not so on the MB.

I use it for cleaning then re-lubing. It's very easy to fling lube onto the disc if you leave the wheels in.

Another little thing I did was buy a bag of 50 shower caps for about £2.50 off ebay which I put on the discs when washing the wheels. Seems excessive, but a contaminated disc is a PITA. I also pop them on when I store the bikes.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »

Can I ask the perhaps obvious question, but... why?

What is the point of it?

Why is it a no brainer for disk brake users?

I have disk brakes. I don't use one. Why would I want to?

J
--

« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:51:55 pm »
See my post above.

It means you can spin the chain with the wheels out. If you lube chain then spin chain you've a fair chance of getting it on your disc.

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:14:20 pm »
Another little thing I did was buy a bag of 50 shower caps for about £2.50 off ebay which I put on the discs when washing the wheels. Seems excessive, but a contaminated disc is a PITA. I also pop them on when I store the bikes.

That reminds me - I got sent some Muc-Off neoprene disc covers a while ago. Can't think what I did with them. Might be worth actually using them, if I can find them...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:39:01 pm »
A contaminated disc is a PITA.

I find it's a pain between the lugs for everyone else, noisy as hell, scatters pedestrians on cycle tracks but still stops me ok, so meh.

« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:45:16 pm »
Bet you've got a Hope freehub too, havent you.

You bastard  ;D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:05:46 pm »
Bet you've got a Hope freehub too, havent you.

You bastard  ;D

On my MTB, aye :-D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:28:31 pm »
See my post above.

It means you can spin the chain with the wheels out. If you lube chain then spin chain you've a fair chance of getting it on your disc.

Weird... What lube are you using? I drop a drop on each roller and leave it over night. No spray on disks.

J
--

« Reply #22 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:35:42 pm »
I use all sorts, but I always spin the chain for a bit, let it penetrate, then wipe off the excess.

« Reply #23 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:43:49 pm »
I use all sorts, but I always spin the chain for a bit, let it penetrate, then wipe off the excess.

Whatever floats your boat I guess..... :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:54:48 pm »
lube in pressurised containers (wd-40, gt-85 and other) can easily contaminate discs. regular drip lube stays on the chain (unless someone overlubes and spins cranks as fast as possible, then maybe..).

i personally have never bothered with chain doodads or disc covers, no problem with contamination so far.