Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179682 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18850 on: 30 March, 2024, 05:51:09 pm »
Last night fettled the Trice to be back in road-going form. I've not used it on roads since late 2020, and only outside since then at the occasional BHPC race. Otherwise it's been sat on the trainer, pretty much as somewhere to store it, though it has had a lot of use on Zwift.

So I pulled it off the trainer and refitted mudguards. I got two new blades for the front as the original ones were cracking - ICE sell something that's the right length, but needs holes drilling for the mounts and to move the bottom flap from the old ones. But only a tenner a piece, so not worth worrying about as it doesn't take long to sort them out.

A check of the brakes and gears, then adjusted my Super C panniers to fit and put on the extended top rack I made back in 2020 to allow the dog's Kuryakyn Pet Palace to be mounted. Found enough bits to put a RAM mount ball onto the bosses on the front mech post, so I can put a phone up there for nav (old eyes find the Garmin 705 harder to read nowadays, though I still use it). The intention being to give it a proper go on the roads, and decide if I want to keep it or not.

« Reply #18851 on: 31 March, 2024, 02:26:38 am »
Just put my clock forward an hour
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18852 on: 31 March, 2024, 10:17:03 am »
I actually managed to put my watch an hour forward* without R'ing TFM, which is something of a novelty.  Only the microwave and the wall clock in the Great Hall left to do.

* A meme currently popular among the Gammonariat states that “this weekend I'm gonna put my clock back to 1940 when this country had some bollocks”, usually illustrated with a Spitfire or two.  This tells us everything we need to know about Gammonariat mental capabilities.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #18853 on: 31 March, 2024, 10:22:03 am »
pressfit bottom brackets are terrible part 3

bottom bracket wore out and had to be replaced a couple of weeks ago, took 2 hours and I had to use a sledgehammer
It looked good afterwards

Anyway, on a recent ride Richard S. noticed my chain line seemed to wobble

I then noticed it too

I looked it up "this can be due to the BB axle not being straight"

Took the cranks out and reapplied the BB fitting tool.  When I tightened from the LHS there was a nasty crunch

Reassembled, the wobble has gone

Can't believe that press fit BB is somehow being promoted as a design improvement

« Reply #18854 on: 31 March, 2024, 03:44:51 pm »
My car, cosmetically. Yesterday was washing, clay bar, and a bit of compound polishing (not too effective by hand , I’ll be getting an orbital machine for next time). Today was waxing/coating. Fortunately not too much drizzle to work around.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18855 on: 31 March, 2024, 04:41:11 pm »
Made my shonky 12 vole pump, motor-car tyres for the inflation of, puff again.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18856 on: 31 March, 2024, 04:49:39 pm »
from somewhere, I developed some mudgaurd-fu and the raceblade XL's that were previously entirely incompatible with the Gravelkings on 650b on the S40 now miraculously fit.  Tomorrow, while it's likely to be pish weather, I'll finish off fettling the rest of it to actually try and get more than a pitiful 800km on it this year.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #18857 on: 31 March, 2024, 06:11:57 pm »
The roof light over the bed in our caravan has been leaking this winter.  :sick: We only found out this week as it's in storage.
We visited today to remove and dispose of the mattress and to bring the worst of the carpets back home to try to dry them out.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #18858 on: 31 March, 2024, 08:20:14 pm »
Re-bled a new caliper. Got it working nicely but couldn't be arsed to actually go out and ride the thing  :-[

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #18859 on: 01 April, 2024, 12:35:13 am »
My Julie Andrews* chainset: 46/34/24. I have a hunchback of a plan (it is only partly formed) to cycle up Mt Ventoux this summer and I'm not prepared (nor, frankly, able) to do the training required to do so on the current 50/40/30.

(*Climb Every Mountain)

Hmm.

There’s a compatibility problem with the chain (10s) and chainset (7s) which I’ll have to resolve. Seems ok going between middle and outer ring, but has a tendency to get stuck between middle and granny.

Compatibility problem fixed with the original 10s record chainset. I’ve swapped the problem of the chain slipping between the rings for the problem of shifting from a 24t ring to a 39t ring. It works okay as long as I plan ahead.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18860 on: 01 April, 2024, 08:31:55 am »
Removed the raceblades from the Ti bike I ride sometimes in the winter, ready for better weather post-clock change - probably optimistic . . . .

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18861 on: 01 April, 2024, 01:29:40 pm »
Saturday's rack-fettling has led to Monday’s Unacceptable Rattling caused by the rearward end of those metal strip thingies that connect rack and frame hitting the underside of the rack platform.

Fix #1: Remove rack from Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle, drill through platform, bolt down tail end of metal strip thingies, reassemble.

Fix #2: Discipline metal strip thingies with GBFO cable tie.

I went with #2 as it involved less Unpleasant Bending :D

« Reply #18862 on: 01 April, 2024, 01:52:09 pm »
Yesterday. Stuffed the gap between the skirting board and the kitchen floor with scrunched up aluminium foil as this was the access for the mice which have been infesting my place since before last Christmas (It was a month and a half before I realised that I'd been leaving food accessible which they were feeding on  ::-)).
I've had slightly more than two weeks with no rodenticide having been disturbed so it is time to f*ck their access.

« Reply #18863 on: 01 April, 2024, 07:24:50 pm »
Removed the mudguards from my bike, as the local mud is currently thick enough to foul them. A bit of splatter is preferable to frequent stops to try and scrape it out with a twig. Especially as a lot of the twigs on the downs come with thorns on.

Also a general clean, change the speed sensor battery, and attach the frame bag.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18864 on: 02 April, 2024, 08:35:22 am »
Yesterday. Stuffed the gap between the skirting board and the kitchen floor with scrunched up aluminium foil as this was the access for the mice which have been infesting my place since before last Christmas (It was a month and a half before I realised that I'd been leaving food accessible which they were feeding on  ::-)).
I've had slightly more than two weeks with no rodenticide having been disturbed so it is time to f*ck their access.

Aye, it'll play Old Harry with their amalgam fillings.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18865 on: 03 April, 2024, 08:17:20 pm »
FINALLY finished a wheel I started in June(?) last year.  A severe lack of round tuits.     It was taken out for a short test ride & didn't make any pinging noises or turn into a pretzel.  I then fitted the B&M dynamo lamps that I've had so long they are probably classed as antiques.    If this strange mood continues I may put the mountain bike back together tomorrow, after giving it a bit of a clean.    The next stage would be actually going out for a ride......

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18866 on: 03 April, 2024, 09:23:22 pm »
...turn into a pretzel....

Now, that would be impressive  :o

« Reply #18867 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:55:58 pm »
Reassembled the MTB.  The cam on the rear skewer broke, so I had to replace it with a Pitlok one, from the spares box.  I must replace that asap as I'm bound to forget the key thing.   One of the tyres looks a bit dodgy as well, so that will have to be swapped as well.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18868 on: 04 April, 2024, 05:14:06 pm »
Nothing really, yet, but appropo of my wardrobe based divvery as detailed here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95565.msg2886134#msg2886134
I've just been out looking to see how said wardrobe might come apart.
My (hopefully cunning) plan is to see if we can split it up into the 2 L-shaped parts (top and 1 side + door, base and 2nd side + door) that make up the whole without taking it entirely to pieces.
Wish us luck for tomorrow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18869 on: 04 April, 2024, 08:53:22 pm »
I put one of the 40 (yes, forty) 9-speed Ultegra (12-27) cassettes onto my Dolan Dual.
I also corrected (as far as I can see) the Bontrager mudguards on the bike. No more squeaks
and rattles.

(I bought the cassettes over a period of several months a few years ago from a guy who went
from 9-speed to 11-speed).

(chain replaced last week).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18870 on: 04 April, 2024, 10:28:01 pm »
I thought I was anal having two Veloce 10 speed cassettes all these years  ::-)

« Reply #18871 on: 04 April, 2024, 10:32:24 pm »
I've got a fair number of 9-speed cassettes in the loft too. I kept seeing them at discounts and buying them in for when I needed them, only to find that I'd done that before and probably didn't need any more :-[

« Reply #18872 on: 04 April, 2024, 11:30:13 pm »
2 of my bikes are still 8 speed, with square taper bottom brackets.  I'm getting worried about parts .   What would happen if one of my downtube shifters broke !  :jurek:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18873 on: 04 April, 2024, 11:45:23 pm »
I need to have a spare parts audit at some point.  Maybe I could rope barakta into making one of her famous spreadsheets.

I do know that I stocked up on 10-speed drivetrain parts shortly before the Streetmachine died and got replaced with a Rohloff model.  But at least they'll be useful if I start doing orders of magnitude more mountain biking.  :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18874 on: 05 April, 2024, 03:42:54 pm »
The devastation after Wednesday's failed wardrobe delivery
20240405_153608-COLLAGE by The Pingus, on Flickr

Today we dismembered it, and after a lot of sweat and bad swears, eventually managed to reassemble it, without damaging it, apart from the stupid hat shelf which fell out. Though that turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it means we can now have a full height rail across the whole width.
20240405_153656-COLLAGE by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.