Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Last post by Jurek on Today at 09:50:53 am »
BN - due to not thinking ahead had to order book for wife's birthday from amazon as won't be able to get to my LBS and in this case B is book
GN having not used amazon for ages since got a work voucher from them got a 5 quid off voucher and eligible for free prime trial again
BN set a alarm for just under 30 days to cancel prime, as did it on clock not calendar shows an alarm icon at top of phone which is annoying as that normally means gotta get up for work
If you cancel it as soon as you've received your goods, it'll remain valid for 30 days before automatically self-cancelling.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by De Sisti on Today at 09:49:43 am »
2. Change your innertubes.
Again, related to making the wheels go around easier, you could change your inner tubes from the rubber ones you currently have to the newer type of TPU.
Honestly, not necessary for the expense and mythical, hypothetical limited miniscule gain.
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 09:46:34 am »
Wordle 1,039 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
« Last post by Robh on Today at 09:45:54 am »
Doh!

Wordle 1,039 X/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Robh on Today at 09:40:15 am »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict - Pink Floyd
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by freeflow on Today at 09:25:01 am »
The above posters are correct that you have a bike that you can use for Audaxing.  However, there may be one or two changes that you can make to allow a more comfortable riding experience.

1. Change of Tyres.

Part of the effort needed to ride a bike is attributable to the rolling resistance of the tyres.  You may therefore get some good benefit from changing your current tyres to something lighter with less rolling resistance.  A quality tyre is a good investment so something like  a Continental Urban in 35c, or even a Continental GP5000 in 32C or 28C.  There is lots of choice but if you want to be overwhelmed with information take a look at  https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/.

2. Change your innertubes.

Again, related to making the wheels go around easier, you could change your inner tubes from the rubber ones you currently have to the newer type of TPU.

3.  Handlebars

The straight(ish) bars fitted to your bike don't give many options for hand positions.  If you don't already have something similar, swapping your handle bar grips to something like Ergon grips would be good as this type of grip is much more supportive to the hands.

4.  Are you sitting comfortably.

This is about getting the sadlle position and stem length correct for your style of riding.  Refining your position as you get fitter will minimise the aches and pains you get from sitting on a bike for extended periods.  A 200km Audax ridden as 20 kph will take 10 hours!  Have a read of  https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf

5. Practise for 'mechanicals'

When you do longer distance rides your are more likely to run into minor mechanical issues.  I'd suggest getting familair with two activities.

A. Replacing inner tubes (don't faff around on Audaxes mending punctures.  Take two extra innertunes with you to swap in if you get a puncture.  Mend punctures at home in the warm whilst indulging yourself with a nice cup of tea and a bit of cake).

B. Adjusting the indexing of your gears so that they run smoothly.

6.  Get some decent quality cycling shorts ( and some chamois creme)

A decent set of shorts will fit comfortably without and rubbing (small movements of material around your sitting area).  Even so you might benefit from applying chamois creme as your rides get longer.

7.  Saddle

Be prepared to discover that the saddle/bum interface is not good for longer distances and that you will need to seek out a different saddle as the distances increase.  Saddles are very personal things so you will need to do some research.  Good saddles to look at initially would be the SPA Nidd or Selle SMP TRK.  You say you already have a Brooks saddle but this type of saddle doesn't suite everyone and is also not the best type of saddle for the design of bikes you get today (seat tube angles and all that).  A common problem with Brooks saddles is that it is not possible to move the saddle back enough to get to your optimum bike position.

8.  Finally

Many people make the mistake of buying an Audax specific bike too soon.  I'd suggest a year of Audaxing on your current bike (with minor upgrades) before you make a purchase.

Have fun
Caption It / Re: Caption It #2083
« Last post by meddyg on Today at 09:11:40 am »

so there's an activity you're not shit at ?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by cygnet on Today at 09:03:28 am »
Torri Fy Ngwallt Yn Hir - Super Furry Animals
The laptop doesn't boot with the drive in the laptop.  Not sure that the laptop is damaged beyond repair. The drive can be seen in a reader  just I can't access the files as windows says I don't have admin access.

This is normal and to be expected.
It's an ownership / permissions issue, by design.

Basically, you need to do something called 'Take Ownership' of the files.

In Windows, all files have an Owner - typically the user who created them.
The actual system files will be owned by one of the System user accounts, not an end-user account.

But the User's files ( ie the files in the User's Profile eg C:/Users/Feanor ) will have that user as the Owner.
Then permissions are set such that another end-user has no permissions to read them.
This means that if multiple different people have user accounts on the same machine, they only have access to their own User Profie.
They will get Access Denied if they try to look at the files in someone else's User Profile.

And this is what's happening here.
The User Account on the working machine is not the same User Account as the one on the broken laptop which is the creator and Owner of these files.
So when logged into the working laptop, your User Account has no permissions to read the User Profile on the old drive which belongs to a different User.

However, as an Admin on the working host machine, you *can* force matters by changing the Owner of the User Profile folder and all sub-folders and files on the unreadable drive.
It's been a long time since I've had to do this myself, but the steps are something like this:

-Start Windows Explorer and browse to the User Profile folder,
-R-click the folder and select Properties;
-Security tab > Advanced button;
-Owner is listed at the top (It will probably not be a name, just a long number); click 'Change' link next to it.
-Click 'Object Types' button, and leave only 'Users' selected;
-Click 'Advanced' button, then 'Find Now';
-Select the User you are logged in as and who you want to Own these files now;
-OK your way back out of these windows till you get back to the main Security window,
-Check the option 'Replace all child object permissions...' (so it applies to all the sub-folders and files too);
-And then finally 'OK'.  It may take a few moments to grind it's way through all the files.

Now as I said, I've not done this for a long time.
I just went through the steps here, but didn't hit the final OK!
It might be that modern Windows will have a but of a hissy at this point and need you to stand on your head a bit more, but that's the basic steps.

« Last post by rr on Today at 08:39:39 am »
Wordle 1,039 5/6

🟩🟩
🟨
🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10