Author Topic: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)  (Read 28359 times)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex / Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #26 on: 19 August, 2020, 04:40:00 pm »
Here is my first stab at a complete route

Linky not working for me ... 404 error

Yes, its cos I'm messing around with it, sorry.  Try the link again...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2020, 04:43:33 pm »
This link is the one you want.

« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2020, 06:02:11 pm »
Another dull conference call which didn't demand my full attention...

Here is my first stab at a complete route which starts and finishes in Witham but could be joined at any point.  It incorporates some of the Icknield Way (if the gpx I downloaded is to be believed).  What do you think?  Its still very much WIP and much finessing will no doubt still be required.
Looks amazing!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #29 on: 20 August, 2020, 07:59:36 am »

I think I might have a go at a less ambitious route as well.  Perhaps 30 miles on Friday evening, 50 on Saturday, 20 to finish with on Sunday.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #30 on: 20 August, 2020, 02:28:27 pm »

I think I might have a go at a less ambitious route as well.  Perhaps 30 miles on Friday evening, 50 on Saturday, 20 to finish with on Sunday.

Something along those lines might be achievable for me in my current state of (un)fitness.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 20 August, 2020, 02:53:10 pm »

Something along those lines might be achievable for me in my current state of (un)fitness.

An imperial tonne is a meaningful objective when combined with 2 nights of bivvying, or in ted's case, two nights in a spa hotel  ::-)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 20 August, 2020, 08:14:23 pm »
The Peddar's Way camping trip a good few years back was about a 60 mile day, maybe 50% off-road, though not at all technical. We had a leisurely breakfast in Ixworth, and a pub lunch in one of the Pickenhams, making the campsite at sunset, setting-up and getting to the pub just before dinner service stopped at 9pm. A long enough riding day, but with some quality time off. My 100mpd tour two weekends ago was a bit of a bash, but I had limited time for my 300 mile orbit of the planet.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:49:10 am »
The Peddar's Way camping trip a good few years back was about a 60 mile day, maybe 50% off-road, though not at all technical. We had a leisurely breakfast in Ixworth, and a pub lunch in one of the Pickenhams, making the campsite at sunset, setting-up and getting to the pub just before dinner service stopped at 9pm. A long enough riding day, but with some quality time off. My 100mpd tour two weekends ago was a bit of a bash, but I had limited time for my 300 mile orbit of the planet.

That was a good trip and of course we could repeat it for this adventure.   However I was trying to avoid trains from a time and cost perspective. 

So, I've been playing with RwGPS (*) again.  I now have two route options for the committee to consider...

Firstly, my original 250 mile route up into Suffolk.  After some consideration I concede this might be a little ambitious and not leave much time for off-bike activities.  That said I'd still like to do it one day, perhaps allowing more than a weekend.

Secondly, a new 101 mile route.  I have purposely incorporated as many bridleways as I can find  ;D  I have also identified a couple of possible bivvy sites and I have found a Rowley Hill near Haverhill  :thumbsup:  As previously mentioned the route breaks down into a 30 mile leg for Friday evening, then a bit over 50 miles on Saturday and a sub 20 mile ride back to Witham on Sunday.

I know all my routes start and finish in Witham but would be happy to go with the flow if anyone has other ideas.

(*)  I'm enjoying this exercise and am really getting to grips with RWGPS.  Having used Garmin mapping tools for so long its been hard to change but I'm finding RwGPS is a smashing tool now I'm getting used to it.

« Reply #34 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:33:05 am »
I have also identified a couple of possible bivvy sites

The first one is virtually in my back garden!

I ride some of the bridlepaths around there, but not the one that goes past the woods. I can check it out one evening next week to let you know how feasible it might be. There's a large new housing development just inside the ring road, and dog walkers venture out on those bridleways. But I think you might be far enough away to not be disturbed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #35 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:41:25 am »
I have also identified a couple of possible bivvy sites

The first one is virtually in my back garden!

I ride some of the bridlepaths around there, but not the one that goes past the woods. I can check it out one evening next week to let you know how feasible it might be. There's a large new housing development just inside the ring road, and dog walkers venture out on those bridleways. But I think you might be far enough away to not be disturbed.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 21 August, 2020, 10:39:45 am »
Personally, I like the longer route, but the shorter route is also very nice and probably more the distance I should be considering as an intro to camping/bivvying. I think I would prefer a small tent, so I might look into that. Very exciting!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #37 on: 21 August, 2020, 10:50:01 am »
Personally, I like the longer route, but the shorter route is also very nice and probably more the distance I should be considering as an intro to camping/bivvying. I think I would prefer a small tent, so I might look into that. Very exciting!

Small tent, bivvy, makes no odds really.  jbers has a small tent, can't remember what sort, which is the same weight as a bivvy.  To be honest my small tent is smaller and lighter than my bivvy bag and a tarp with poles but bivvying is fun and something different to do.  Basically bivvying and commonsense don't have much to do with each other  ;D

Going back to routes, I'm still keen on the longer route, maybe doing it over 3 days starting out early on the first morning... something to look forward to in the future.

« Reply #38 on: 21 August, 2020, 10:56:15 am »
Ha! yeah, It's probably fun but I just don't think I could sleep like that. Maybe I need to cycle/drink/cycle & drink more before its time to turn in? Would appreciate and recommendations on small tents and how to carry them.

3 days for the longer one would be good. I really need some experience with a bit of camping for longer rides. What do you guys do for, say, a 600? Do you just lie down somewhere, or do you take a bivvy/tent for that?

So much to learn.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #39 on: 21 August, 2020, 11:17:23 am »
Ha! yeah, It's probably fun but I just don't think I could sleep like that. Maybe I need to cycle/drink/cycle & drink more before its time to turn in? Would appreciate and recommendations on small tents and how to carry them.

3 days for the longer one would be good. I really need some experience with a bit of camping for longer rides. What do you guys do for, say, a 600? Do you just lie down somewhere, or do you take a bivvy/tent for that?

So much to learn.

I haven't ever had a good night's sleep in a bivvy because firstly I'm not a great sleeper and secondly I'm not an experienced vagrant bivvist which is why I want to do more.

Regarding 600s... again I haven't done loads of these, others will be along soon with more experience, but most people crash out in a bus shelter with or without a bivvy bag.  On my first 600 I used a bivvy in a wood and did actually get about 3 hours decent sleep.  I'm not sure audaxers use a tent on 600+ rides as a bivvy is much quicker to set up and break down assuming you're not messing about with a tarp

« Reply #40 on: 21 August, 2020, 12:14:13 pm »
I've never used a bivvy on an Audax, only whilst bikepacking.

On 600s, I have used the following approaches at various times:
 - not slept (usually on a very hilly route where I've not had much time to spare)
 - not slept due to not following my updated route to go past the hotel I had booked!
 - slept in a hall provided by the organiser
 - slept at home, as the route went close by

For 1000s and upwards I generally mix sleeping in halls or hotels (Travelodge style), plus had the luxury of a motorhome once.

rob

« Reply #41 on: 21 August, 2020, 12:49:38 pm »
Similar to psyclist.

When slower and on a tough route catch the odd cat nap.  I have slept rough and hated it.

If you can build a time buffer then a hotel or B&B works well.   Go with chains such as travelodge as they usually allow bikes in rooms and have 24hr check in.  A sleep, a shower and fresh shorts make a massive difference to the second day.

« Reply #42 on: 21 August, 2020, 03:02:05 pm »

I rode the Peddars way probably longer ago than I remember as it was on mtn bikes. At least 7 years ago if not more. We spent first day riding to Brandon, near the start, and bivvied in back garden of pub on the left if heading north.  In Hunstanton 2 of us got a B&B.  Myself and another went down to the beach huts after the pub and laid out the bivvies on the wooden decking. Caught a great sunrise over the Wash. Then rode to Kings Lynn via Sandringham and train home.

« Reply #43 on: 21 August, 2020, 03:06:44 pm »
For 400/600 I either take my bivvy or an emergency silver bag.  Then sleep when the dozies overtake me.  Put rack pack under head for some support. Around haystacks can be good for enough material to get comfy.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 21 August, 2020, 08:21:41 pm »
Bivvying is a such a wide ranging experience, from near-vagrancy (bus shelter, church porch, phone box ...) to near-camping. If the weather is bad for bivvying, it's going to be much the same for camping, so actually the church porch approach might be better. McNasty used railway station waiting rooms on an extended round-Britain Audax, I recall. You can spend a lot of time looking for somewhere suitable, though. Unless you're McNasty who apparently also knows the location of every habitable cave in Britain.

For Audax Hotel sleeping, a cheap bivvy-bag (more to keep the sleeping bag clean than for weather protection) and a bag liner or lightweight bag - all in a dry-bag strapped on the Carradice. Single night only, so it doesn't matter much if it all gets a bit manky. I've only done one multi-night bivvying audax (600km, Friday night start, short sleep both nights). Anything longer had the luxury of beds, under a solid roof.

« Reply #45 on: 22 August, 2020, 02:51:21 pm »
OK, all good advice on vagrancy there and thank you to all of you that have offered advice!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 22 August, 2020, 05:25:37 pm »
I note the Short Route has been designed for the senior rider to sit outside the Queen Victoria in Dunmow and wait for you all to roll up  :thumbsup: ...

Bivvy sites look promising.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 22 August, 2020, 06:48:22 pm »
I note the Short Route has been designed for the senior rider to sit outside the Queen Victoria in Dunmow and wait for you all to roll up  :thumbsup: ...

Bivvy sites look promising.

Pricks up ears..
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #48 on: 22 August, 2020, 07:10:40 pm »

I rode the Peddars way probably longer ago than I remember as it was on mtn bikes. At least 7 years ago if not more. We spent first day riding to Brandon, near the start, and bivvied in back garden of pub on the left if heading north.  In Hunstanton 2 of us got a B&B.  Myself and another went down to the beach huts after the pub and laid out the bivvies on the wooden decking. Caught a great sunrise over the Wash. Then rode to Kings Lynn via Sandringham and train home.

I rode the Peddars with Tomsk (and Oaky & OD) and got about half a mile under the 100 for the day as I rode to the start. Lightning Phil: The pub in Brandon would have been The Ram, but you must be mistaken about the sun rise over the Wash from Hunstanton - the beach faces West. I've used Hunst'n as the start for my Norfolk coast 2 coast - watch the sunset over the sea at Hunst'n and ride through the night to try to see the sun rise over the sea at Hemsby.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #49 on: 22 August, 2020, 07:37:20 pm »
I think you’re right. I think the morning brought a mumurration now I think about it.