Author Topic: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)  (Read 28635 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #100 on: 09 September, 2020, 10:44:49 am »
I think this evening we'll be discussing our MEMWNS Covid-19 strategy.  We can also have a think about how we arrange ourselves this weekend.  I can't see it being a major problem, just stuffs to bear in mind.

New Rulz don't come in to force until Monday. This gives everyone ample opportunity to have one more blow out and to ensure maximum spread of the virus. You will still be able to go and play footy with people from 21 other households tho ::-) ::-)

Yeah but existing rulz say you shouldn't be in a group of more than 6 if more than 2 households are involved even if you're outdoors.  The new rulz are a bit bonkers though.  I suppose every little helps.

existing "rulz" are guidelines, new rulz are actual enforceable rules
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #101 on: 09 September, 2020, 10:49:44 am »
Indeed! 

Re: Mid-Essex / Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #102 on: 09 September, 2020, 12:40:53 pm »
By the way, what time are we leaving? I might be a bit late and have to meet you at the "campsite", due to family things.

An excellent question!  My thoughts were to leave Witham at about 1800hrs but can delay depending on who else is leaving Witham and what time suits them... Oaky?

Meeting at "the campsite" is fine or you could meet us on route.  On previous adventures we have used Glympse for live tracking and it's worked well.  I have no idea what's happening regarding dinner and liquid refreshment as winging it at the core of the plan so you might be able to track us down in a pub we happen across.
OK, ta.
I don't think i'll be able to make that. Are you going to eat en route to the camping spot? If so, I would like to meet you there (or before there) so I can eat with you guys. If we can get a rough idea of timings before Fri, I can plan accordingly. Re tracking - do any of you have Wahoo do-das as I think you can track mine with yours. If not, I will look at the Glympse thing, but I am a bit privacy obsessed.

Oscar's dad

Re: Mid-Essex / Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #103 on: 09 September, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »
By the way, what time are we leaving? I might be a bit late and have to meet you at the "campsite", due to family things.

An excellent question!  My thoughts were to leave Witham at about 1800hrs but can delay depending on who else is leaving Witham and what time suits them... Oaky?

Meeting at "the campsite" is fine or you could meet us on route.  On previous adventures we have used Glympse for live tracking and it's worked well.  I have no idea what's happening regarding dinner and liquid refreshment as winging it at the core of the plan so you might be able to track us down in a pub we happen across.
OK, ta.
I don't think i'll be able to make that. Are you going to eat en route to the camping spot? If so, I would like to meet you there (or before there) so I can eat with you guys. If we can get a rough idea of timings before Fri, I can plan accordingly. Re tracking - do any of you have Wahoo do-das as I think you can track mine with yours. If not, I will look at the Glympse thing, but I am a bit privacy obsessed.

I have a Wahoooooooooooo!

« Reply #104 on: 09 September, 2020, 01:53:17 pm »
Great. You could try tracking me tonight if you like? I'll adjust the settings now...
EDIT: Actually, I can just send you a live tracking link. Shall we try that tonight? Also, do you guys have a WhatsApp group?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #105 on: 09 September, 2020, 02:27:49 pm »
Great. You could try tracking me tonight if you like? I'll adjust the settings now...
EDIT: Actually, I can just send you a live tracking link. Shall we try that tonight? Also, do you guys have a WhatsApp group?

I've just sent you a link by text, and yes, let's try tonight.  No we don't have a WhatsApp group?

« Reply #106 on: 09 September, 2020, 03:24:00 pm »
Thanks, I got your link :)
I will send you mine later. Do you want me to set up a WhatsApp group or am i being pushy and suggesting something that nobody wants/needs? Just an idea but I am quite happy to do without it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #107 on: 09 September, 2020, 03:32:04 pm »
I will send you mine later. Do you want me to set up a WhatsApp group or am i being pushy and suggesting something that nobody wants/needs? Just an idea but I am quite happy to do without it.

I don't think we need it.  We have a Facebook Group, not sure if you're in it.

« Reply #108 on: 09 September, 2020, 03:49:06 pm »
I don't use Facebook! Never mind :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #109 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:29:59 pm »

Fair enough, Facebook is just for old people.  Oh hang on...

« Reply #110 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:44:29 pm »

You could always use Signal. All you need to know is someone’s mobile number to message them. Once they have it installed. You can setup group calls. Always end to end encrypted. Plus unlike WhatsApp and Facebook no Zuckerberg tracking you.

« Reply #111 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:48:41 pm »
Personally though, arent you meant to be getting off the grid with a bivvy night? So turn the tech off mostly.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #112 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:50:41 pm »
Personally though, arent you meant to be getting off the grid with a bivvy night? So turn the tech off mostly.

I'm taking my Orange Trowel so I'm deffo going off grid  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #113 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:58:48 pm »

A whatsapp group between just  the people coming on the bivi extravaganza might be useful to coordinate meeting up without broadcasting locations as widely as a facebook would.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #114 on: 09 September, 2020, 05:03:03 pm »

A whatsapp group between just  the people coming on the bivi extravaganza might be useful to coordinate meeting up without broadcasting locations as widely as a facebook would.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #115 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:05:45 pm »
I don't use Facebook! Never mind :-)

You could always use Signal. All you need to know is someone’s mobile number to message them. Once they have it installed. You can setup group calls. Always end to end encrypted. Plus unlike WhatsApp and Facebook no Zuckerberg tracking you.
Yep. i like Signal.
That said, daughter has missed the delivery of the tent so I might be out.
I heard the dog barking and a knock at the door but I thought they'd leave it outside

Oscar's dad

« Reply #116 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:21:12 pm »
I don't use Facebook! Never mind :-)

Yep. i like Signal.
That said, daughter has missed the delivery of the tent so I might be out.
I heard the dog barking and a knock at the door but I thought they'd leave it outside

I can lend you a tent if needs be.

« Reply #117 on: 10 September, 2020, 01:29:11 pm »
Thanks, looks like they are redelivering tomorrow. Kind of you to offer though.
By the way, looks like I'll be late to the party as i have to drop SWMBO to Loughton at 1745 on Friday. That means I'll leave at about 1845, so I can probably make Great Dunmow by about 2000, which might be too late. That said, I might be able to make it 15-30 mins earlier if I get organised. Let me know and maybe I can adjust the route to meet you elsewhere.
Sorry for the aggravation!Nick.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #118 on: 10 September, 2020, 01:44:24 pm »
Thanks, looks like they are redelivering tomorrow. Kind of you to offer though.
By the way, looks like I'll be late to the party as i have to drop SWMBO to Loughton at 1745 on Friday. That means I'll leave at about 1845, so I can probably make Great Dunmow by about 2000, which might be too late. That said, I might be able to make it 15-30 mins earlier if I get organised. Let me know and maybe I can adjust the route to meet you elsewhere.
Sorry for the aggravation!Nick.

We'll cope and meet up somehow.  We will keep you informed of our whereabouts!

« Reply #119 on: 10 September, 2020, 04:04:20 pm »
OK, thanks and I will text you when I leave.

« Reply #120 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:24:54 pm »
Is the plan to head to a pub near Bish Stortford for food tomorrow night? If so, best if I meet you there - as heading from opposite direction and will allow for slight imprecision on departure time on my part.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #121 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:47:03 pm »
Is the plan to head to a pub near Bish Stortford for food tomorrow night? If so, best if I meet you there - as heading from opposite direction and will allow for slight imprecision on departure time on my part.

Which pub are you referring to. Yesterday evening we identified a few!

« Reply #122 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:13:08 pm »
Update:
The tent arrived somehow - so did everything else. I have no idea how I'm going to carry all this stuff! Let the fun begin!  :facepalm:

« Reply #123 on: 10 September, 2020, 11:25:02 pm »

Which pub are you referring to. Yesterday evening we identified a few!

No idea! Didn't make it last night to the "planning" meeting! I'll stand by - how a location and time emerges is more mysterious than electing a new pope!

« Reply #124 on: 11 September, 2020, 12:40:52 am »
Hello all,
I have Signal messaging app installed if anyone else wants to use it and create a group. Happy to PM anybody my number.