Author Topic: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)  (Read 28369 times)

Re: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #150 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:54:43 am »
I've followed this thread from start to finish. I'm in awe, what a fantastic mini adventure.
The main write up and others contributions really are inspiring(to me). Excellent photos of bike set ups, "wild camping" set up. I've all the gear and no idea but am more likely to take the plunge. This is top draw stuff for Arrive magazine. This mini cycling break is within reach of so many of us rather than a far flung foreign adventure (they have their place).
 During these restrictive times, it just goes to show how much fun can be had on our doorstep and inexpensive too.
Plus bonus pints at the end. Not a typo! 👍👍👍

Re: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #151 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:48:58 am »
OK, do you guys have any advice on rims? There are just so many. Sure, I could read a few reviews and choose something but I'd rather get some advice from people I know. Should I start another thread? Is there already a suitable thread somewhere? Just really looking for a top-middle-bottom guid price-wise, really.
Ta,Nick.

If you are using a wheelbuilder, they will guide you depending on the type of riding and type/size of tyre you will be using. Other factors include rim braking or disc, and tubeless or not. I would also aim to go for a rim that doesn’t make getting your chosen tyre on/off a nightmare.

My wheelbuilder had bad experiences with a rim I was hoping to use, and recommended DTSwiss. I’ve now got a few wheels built with different DTSwiss rim models, and have found them just fine. One feature that I like is that the stickers come off easily ... I’m not a fan of manufacturer labels over everything, unless they wish to sponsor me!

Others I am sure will have good experiences with other rims. Hence talking to your wheelbuilder would be a good option, to factor your specifics into the equation.
OK, thanks for that and it sounds like good advice to me. I'll chat with whoever I get to build my wheels.
Cheers,Nick.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #152 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:54:23 am »
I agree, talk to your wheel builder about rims.  My rims are predominantly Mavic Open Pro (audaxing and regular riding) and Ryde Sputnik (bombpoof but heavy).

« Reply #153 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:56:10 am »
I've followed this thread from start to finish. I'm in awe, what a fantastic mini adventure.
The main write up and others contributions really are inspiring(to me). Excellent photos of bike set ups, "wild camping" set up. I've all the gear and no idea but am more likely to take the plunge. This is top draw stuff for Arrive magazine. This mini cycling break is within reach of so many of us rather than a far flung foreign adventure (they have their place).
 During these restrictive times, it just goes to show how much fun can be had on our doorstep and inexpensive too.
Plus bonus pints at the end. Not a typo! 👍👍👍
Yes, this was my first time camping in many, many years and its a great way to have a little adventure, and test out your kit/packing strategy/how bad you are at putting up a tent in the dark (and I am bad), and lots of other things.
As you say, there are so many adventures on our doorsteps, or if not, withing riding distance for most of us. I had to buy my tent and a few other bits before heading off, but it's still inexpensive really - and you get to use your stuff again when you next head out on an adventure! On the day, you just need food and beer money, so easily affordable, even if you like beer and food as much as I do.
Great to do with a group of people as you can all help each other out if needed.
I thoroughly recommend that you give this a go - a splendid write up from OD on here, too. Thank you, OD!
Nick.

« Reply #154 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:56:57 am »
I agree, talk to your wheel builder about rims.  My rims are predominantly Mavic Open Pro (audaxing and regular riding) and Ryde Sputnik (bombpoof but heavy).
Thank you!  :thumbsup:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #155 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:39:33 am »
OK, do you guys have any advice on rims? There are just so many. Sure, I could read a few reviews and choose something but I'd rather get some advice from people I know. Should I start another thread? Is there already a suitable thread somewhere? Just really looking for a top-middle-bottom guid price-wise, really.
Ta,Nick.

For a rim braked bike, in the likely case that you would be using both non dyno (existing) wheel and a new dyno wheel in the same bike, make sure the rim widths match - it's a real pain resetting the brakes and bedding the pads in otherwise.
After that it's a mix of rim style, colour, material, strength, weight, spoke interface, joint type, brand, cost, wear indicators and availability - priorities vary for each user!
The rim type and spoke count need to be compatible with the chosen hub - for example many dyno hubs are quite narrow, so are best suited to 32 spoke or more set ups.
For a winter commute machine or if you use sustrans style gritty surfaces try and find a rim that is common and will hopefullly be around for years to avoid cost of replacing spokes when the rim wears out, or just go for cheap spokes and rim.

For hubs it's difficult to ignore the SP PV8 which can be obtained at £49 from Spa (QR 32 spoke version only). The bearings don't like being submerged, but neither do my feet, the bikes transmission, the bottom bracket and the rear hub - I have rescued the bearings on one early design PV8 hub whch you can get to the bearing seals on (later ones are different and I haven't had the need to remove the end caps on this version yet). I brought a couple of spare PV8 hubs for my fleet which are built with mavic open pro CD rims and DT Swiss revolution 2X spoke.

Disk brake set ups bring in a different set of stresses and therefore build criteria.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #156 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:50:50 am »
^^^ Superb  ;D  A classic BFC contribution, you are a legend sir!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #157 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:54:22 am »
By the way, myself and Oaky were wondering about quick bivvy on Friday night with dinner at the Swan Inn, Chappel, but the forecast doesn't look too clever.

« Reply #158 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:07:39 am »
Hello BFC and thank you for all of the information.
I'm now in touch with somebody about my wheels, so I will see what we come up with! I'm using disc brakes with QR axle. Sadly looks like the SP PV8 is currently out of stock which is a shames as it looks like a good deal.
Thanks again,Nick.

« Reply #159 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:11:54 am »
By the way, myself and Oaky were wondering about quick bivvy on Friday night with dinner at the Swan Inn, Chappel, but the forecast doesn't look too clever.
Looks like a nice idea! Let's see if the forecast improves :)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #160 on: 29 September, 2020, 02:21:46 pm »
Hello BFC and thank you for all of the information.
I'm now in touch with somebody about my wheels, so I will see what we come up with! I'm using disc brakes with QR axle. Sadly looks like the SP PV8 is currently out of stock which is a shames as it looks like a good deal.
Thanks again,Nick.
The SP dynamo hubs for disc brake with QR axles are the PD8 (6 bolt version) or PL8 (Centerlock version). The wheel builder will need to know which version to spec the spoke lengths - the flange on the disc side of the PD8 is bigger (to get the spokes past the disk mount when building). All the SP models I have used are centered (the flanges are equal distance from the center). The SP website has the full drawings that are easy to find.

« Reply #161 on: 30 September, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »
Hello BFC,
Thanks for your continued input!
He has suggested centre lock (which I hadn't even heard of), using a Shimano UR700, as he says these are now the popular choice (the cenre locks), so I will go with his recommendation.
All the best,Nick.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #162 on: 30 September, 2020, 01:43:21 pm »
Hello BFC,
He has suggested centre lock (which I hadn't even heard of), using a Shimano UR700, as he says these are now the popular choice (the cenre locks), so I will go with his recommendation.
All the best,Nick.

Who have you gone with?

« Reply #163 on: 30 September, 2020, 06:30:14 pm »
I went with Harry but now I feel really bad because BFC has been so helpful.
There, I've said it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #164 on: 30 September, 2020, 06:50:03 pm »
I went with Harry but now I feel really bad because BFC has been so helpful.
There, I've said it.

I’m sure BFC will forgive you and Harry is brilliant.

« Reply #165 on: 30 September, 2020, 07:20:54 pm »
Ha, ha - I hope so.

Hello BFC,
All the best,Nick.

Six bolt it’s easy to strip the threads. Centre lock is a cinch to remove for maintenance or to replace a spoke. You use the same tool as used for removing the cassette.

Hello BFC,
All the best,Nick.

Six bolt it’s easy to strip the threads. Centre lock is a cinch to remove for maintenance or to replace a spoke. You use the same tool as used for removing the cassette.
Yeah, they look nice and simple. He says there might be a bit of adjustment needed when swapping the wheels but i suppose this is just a bit of shimming or something.
Ta,Nick.

Oscar's dad

Hello BFC,
All the best,Nick.

Yeah, they look nice and simple. He says there might be a bit of adjustment needed when swapping the wheels but i suppose this is just a bit of shimming or something.
Ta,Nick.

Fred my Surly has disc brakes and I have 2 wheelsets for him.  When I swop wheels I sometimes need to readjust the pads to stop rubbing but with TRP Spyres it only takes a minute or two.

Oh, is that all? That's even better.
Also, I'm glad you've appeared - do you have any recommendations for dynamo lights (front and rear), also with charging capacity? I know we briefly discussed this on the extravaganza.
Also, I have decided to go for just the front wheel for now. Cost has made me realise that I quite like the idea of odd wheels.  :-D

Oscar's dad

Oh, is that all? That's even better.
Also, I'm glad you've appeared - do you have any recommendations for dynamo lights (front and rear), also with charging capacity? I know we briefly discussed this on the extravaganza.
Also, I have decided to go for just the front wheel for now. Cost has made me realise that I quite like the idea of odd wheels.  :-D

Wot I use...

Front dynamo light

Rear dynamo light

Charging

Great stuff,
Thank you, OD!

Oscar's dad

Great stuff,
Thank you, OD!

You could go for one of these which combines a 70 lux lamp with USB charging.  They are excellent except I have knackered two by failing to wrap it in a plastic bag before turning my bike upside down for a wash.  As I'm clearly not clever enough to learn from my mistakes I went for the IQ-X which gives another 30 lux of brightness and seem a bit more waterproof - but you need a separate charging solution.

I also have one of these.  Only 80 lux but perfectly acceptable but again no charging.

BTW - its worth having a second light on your bars as a back up in case the dynamo set up fails and also to give more brightness on fast descents and for COR.

I use the IQ-X on a couple of bikes, and K-Lite on a third. The latter is a bit spendy, and more suited to off-road type applications.

Igaro is a popular choice for charging, but there are a few different options.

I concur with OD about having a spare battery light in case the dynamo one fails. Also useful if you need to do any puncture repairs or maintenance in the dark.

As for cleaning bikes upside down, that's just weird!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

The Cyo premium linked above does a perfectly acceptable job on the road.  The key with all these dynamo headlights is positioning them the right height above the road and setting the angle so it illuminates the road appropriately.  If you find bright spots on the road or are casting shadows on leaves close up, then the light needs to be angled upwards. There should be even (to the eye) illumination from near to far.