Author Topic: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)  (Read 28672 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
I love the way my thread about bivvying has now been completely trashed  ;D  This is yacf at it's best, we should nominate ourselves for some sort of award!

Oscar's dad

In other news my new stove feet have turned up...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
haha I could have printed them!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

haha I could have printed them!

Now you tell me!

Oh, is that all? That's even better.
Also, I'm glad you've appeared - do you have any recommendations for dynamo lights (front and rear), also with charging capacity? I know we briefly discussed this on the extravaganza.
Also, I have decided to go for just the front wheel for now. Cost has made me realise that I quite like the idea of odd wheels.  :-D

Wot I use...

Front dynamo light

Rear dynamo light

Charging
OK, I am going with the lights you mention here. this is very lazy, but are the connections on these lights compatible with the Shimano UR700 hub?
Thanks,Nick.

Oscar's dad

You’ll need to use the Lego block connector but that should come with the hub I think. You might need some extra wire to run to the rear of your bike but that’s quite easy to order. You might need some little spade connectors too. In theory these need soldering on to the wire but I’ve always crimped them on with a pair of pointy pliers. If I can do all the above you certainly can!

OK, many thanks - I will order my nice new wheel and hub then! Exciting stuff!
Just also want to say sorry for hijacking the thread and thank you to everyone who has helped me here and for inviting me along to the bivvy fest. You're all very nice men that I met on the internet.

Oscar's dad

Knackering threads is a yacf tradition!

You’re welcome!

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
You might need some extra wire to run to the rear of your bike but that’s quite easy to order.
Pretty sure that the cabling to run the rear light usually comes with the light itself (at least in the case of B&M lights).

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
In other news my new stove feet have turned up...

Nice, but apparently 3 clothes peg halves work just as well.

Oscar's dad

Oh, I hadn't thought of that  ::-)  No matter, I have it now. 

Nick if the hub doesn't come with the connector which I have had let me know. Got a couple of spares on order to make up an order with some other bits

You might need some extra wire to run to the rear of your bike but that’s quite easy to order.
Pretty sure that the cabling to run the rear light usually comes with the light itself (at least in the case of B&M lights).
Great - thanks!

Nick if the hub doesn't come with the connector which I have had let me know. Got a couple of spares on order to make up an order with some other bits
Thanks very much, no idea when I'll be getting the lights but it should be this side of Christmas!

OK, so the wheel has been ordered but he sent me this message today:
The Shimano UR700 dynamo hub is out of stock. The only other black hub in stock is Shimano Alfine.
I am too lazy to look into this. Shall I stay with the original one or get this Alfine thing?
Thanks,Nick.

Oscar's dad

The Shimano UR700 dynamo hub is out of stock. The only other black hub in stock is Shimano Alfine.
I am too lazy to look into this. Shall I stay with the original one or get this Alfine thing?
Thanks,Nick.

I'm sure I've got an Alfine hub, I'll check later once I've got some clothes on...

Yes, please do cover yourself up first!  :thumbsup:

Thanks,Nick.

The only difference will be the weight and efficiency of the dynamos. In reality in day to day riding you’ll probably not notice much difference.  If getting the Alfine means you are out riding more at night sooner , then go for it.

Oscar's dad

Yes, please do cover yourself up first!  :thumbsup:

Fear not, I haven't been arrested for public indecency.  Fred's lightweight wheelset does indeed incorporate an Alfine dynohub (DH-S501) and since owning it in March 2016 it has given me not a moment of trouble although it has only done 2118 miles.  Some photos...

Thank you, Lightning Phil and big thanks to OD for all your pics and info! You're too good to me.

Alfine it is then!

OK, wheel is done and will be posted soon. I think the mighty W have the IQ-X for sale with 30% off. But is this for ebikes only? looks like the IQ-X to me?
EDIT: Ah, says it needs 7.5W so this must be ebike only as I think the Alfine only puts out 3W.

OK, so I ended up ordering from Spa Cycles. I got the IQ-X, the Secula Plus and 3 metres of dynamo cable. bikediscount.de was out of stock on the front light, so I went with Spa as I am too much of a child to wait.

Oscar's dad

Nice one!  I too have been busy on the wheel front. BFC has re-rimmed my Open Pro Harry Rowland wheel and serviced the dynohub. And is building me another Open Pro dynohub wheel so I’ll have four dynohub wheels across three bikes. He also order me a IQ-X.

I love BFC’s delivery service, he has a homemade wheel holding bracket attached to the rear rack on his Jack!

Love the idea of the wheel holding bracket and you are spoilt with so many dynohubs! Lucky man.
My new wheel turned up today but nothing on my lights from Spa Cycles yet.

Oscar's dad

Love the idea of the wheel holding bracket and you are spoilt with so many dynohubs! Lucky man...

I'm the Imelda Marcos of dynohubs  ;D

Love the idea of the wheel holding bracket and you are spoilt with so many dynohubs! Lucky man...

I'm the Imelda Marcos of dynohubs  ;D

Fact of the day (from Wikipedia, so must be true!), Imelda Marcos and her husband Ferdinand hold the Guinness World Record for the Greatest Robbery of a Government

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43