Author Topic: B&M IQ Cyo disassembly  (Read 1860 times)

B&M IQ Cyo disassembly
« on: 22 May, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »
I know this  has  been discussed, and  I  did  find  a  post - but with  a  broken link

I would  like to  take  my  cyo apart to fit  some beefier wires, one of the  crimp terminals fell off whilst removing the  wheel,  (after the ride)

Re: B&M IQ Cyo disassembly
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2013, 07:02:02 pm »
I think this is the photos from the broken link:
http://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/12234
They are not displayed in their right order.

--
Regards

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2013, 09:30:26 pm »
thanks, but neither do they help to get it apart!

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2013, 11:01:40 pm »
The pictures aren't ordered correctly in the picture gallery, so use the numbers displayed on the pictures. Start with "cyo open02".

As I see it, you unscrew the long screw, take of the top heat sink (watch the thermal grease on the tab; either keep it or re-grease it). When the heat sink is off, the front reflector, which was retained by the tab on the heat sink, can be taken off.
--
Regards

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2013, 11:26:05 pm »

As I see it, you unscrew the long screw, take of the top heat sink (watch the thermal grease on the tab; either keep it or re-grease it). When the heat sink is off, the front reflector, which was retained by the tab on the heat sink, can be taken off.
True, but the reflector is still retained by lugs/clips top and bottom. You can see in those photo's that one of them is slightly mashed. When I took my Cyo x2 apart recently, I had to gently prize the lens off, using a swiss army knife long flat blade, inserted at the bottom, between lens and main body and firmly twisted. It comes apart with a bit of force. But this is a risky business and when I looked closely at these lugs/clips I couldn't work out how they were supposed to release in a controlled manner or how B&M service people might open them. There's no hidden tab to depress or section of the body to squeeze to aid release. If they meant it to be a sealed unit, surely they would have glued the lens in place.

All very strange.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2020, 05:31:00 pm »
Now that HK's foul-weather commuter has a replacement dynamo headlight, I can start to demolish disassemble the rattly Cyo and see if it can be repaired. The blue-shrink-wrapped thingy in https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/236817?in=set is brown-wrapped in this Cyo. Another difference is that it isn't attached to anything inside the headlight body, hence the rattle.

What is this thing and will it just be a case of soldering it back onto the circuitboard? If the answer is yes, I'll move onto the next bit, which may result in my breaking something irreparably and binning the lot in disgust.

Unfortunately, not too long ago I binned another Cyo that worked but had a broken mounting lug. This would have been a perfect opportunity to combine the two to make something useful. 'Such is life', according to that great Aussie philosopher.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2020, 05:47:57 pm »
it is a 1.0f 5.5v capacitor (for a standlight?), it should be soldered to the circuit board.

if the terminals are broken off, it might be possible to find one somewhere like maplins or online, worth a punt for a few quid.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:05:00 pm »
The legs are usually spot-welded on those, and it's even money whether the weld fails before the solder joint does...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:11:19 pm »
Indeed, a Starcap that looks like it used to be soldered to the circuit board.
Cyo capacitor by Dave Minter, on Flickr

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:18:36 pm »
HK tells me that the standlight had stopped working at some point (not that she told me at the time, which is a touch vexing).

At this point, the prospect of a novice like me removing the remnants of the pins and soldering in a new capacitor without overheating something else on the circuit board approaches zero. Anybody want a defunct Cyo to play with?

« Reply #10 on: 28 November, 2020, 08:53:44 pm »
this is not the first such failure I have seen; often the failed cap rattles around and trashes the rest of the circuit board and then the light stops working altogether. Suggestion; could you attach flying leads to the stubs on the board and then mount the cap some other way instead?

If you are worried about overheating the board, wires are easier and you can use a heat sinking paste (or simply wet smushed-up tissues) to control unwanted heat flow.  Worth a go?

cheers