Author Topic: Dry arse.  (Read 12913 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Dry arse.
« Reply #50 on: 23 August, 2019, 03:05:55 pm »
If weight wheenie concerns are up there e.g. for ultra racing, since it's common to carry a spare tyre in the case of the worst scenarios it could be wrapped in clingfilm and somehow fitted to the downtube, acting as a kind-of fender as well. Oh the possibilities...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #51 on: 23 August, 2019, 03:14:54 pm »
I had a strip of duct tape along my back rack as a mudguard. I did consider artfully replacing it with my folding spare tyre.

The problem with short mudguards of all kinds is they can be quite good at focusing spray rather than keeping it off. You’ll get very wet feet with the wrong front mudguard and a short tear mudguard will - depending on angle and speed - focus spray on either the riders head or the rider behind’s face.

Davef

« Reply #52 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:46:22 am »
I have got very wet and never had an issue drying out quickly. By very wet I include 4km swims in  triathlons and an unplanned swim across the Ouse with my bike. Perhaps consider shorts with a less spongey seat pad for when heavy rain is forecast.

« Reply #53 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:28:06 am »
It's not an ultra-racing thing.  Plenty of people do (on-road) races with mudguards.  Not a majority, but a good few. 
Off-road, they are pretty rare. 

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #54 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:02:06 pm »
i rode both tcr's with mudguards and was very glad for that decision - no saddle sores and more pleasant riding on wet roads.

rode pbp without them and was fine as the ride is much shorter and faster (27kph vs 19kph), the only annoyance was pedaling with wet feet for the whole day.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:15:25 am »
I'd be interested to know what solution QG has adopted or will adopt for this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #56 on: 28 August, 2019, 02:13:07 pm »
Perhaps consider shorts with a less spongey seat pad for when heavy rain is forecast.

Very good. That sounds like a zen approach to a damp problem.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #57 on: 30 August, 2019, 12:29:28 pm »

I haven't decided yet. I know I won't be:

- Having stuff welded to the frame
- Bodging mudguards with Mecano.
- Searching for shorts with a different pad

I'm debating between trying to buy some over shorts that are the right size (non trivial task, I have a big arse). Cutting down my waterproof over trousers to see how they work.

I'm also thinking I want to get a different summer waterproof jacket, that goes a bit lower. I've realised that the waterproof I wear during the colder months is long enough to cover my arse, which is probably why I've not had this problem before.

Looking at the clothing riders on the SRMR wore, the overshorts thing seems popular.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #58 on: 30 August, 2019, 12:58:03 pm »
I'm also thinking I want to get a different summer waterproof jacket, that goes a bit lower.
There are (or have been) some waterproofs that use a fold-down flap rather than an extended tail, held in place inside with poppers (or velcro) when not in use. That which I have (discontinued long ago) has considerably more coverage than any waterproof I've used without such a flap.
It strikes me that there may be scope to DIY on this front, as stitch holes right by the lower hem won't be much of a problem.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #59 on: 18 October, 2019, 07:59:28 pm »
I'm debating between trying to buy some over shorts that are the right size (non trivial task, I have a big arse). Cutting down my waterproof over trousers to see how they work.

With the prospect of a wet 200 tomorrow, and the realisation I have 2 pairs of waterproof trousers, I just took a pair a scissors to one of them. Making a pair of shorts that cut just above the knee cap when seated. I'm not certain they will remain like that, I may add velcro to make them tighter at the knee, and I may still chop some more length off so they don't annoy the knee cap.

Will see how they go tomorrow.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #60 on: 18 October, 2019, 08:01:31 pm »
Hope that goes well for you! I think I might have been tempted to cut them off below the knee, but it does depend on their shape.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 18 October, 2019, 08:08:20 pm »
Hope that goes well for you! I think I might have been tempted to cut them off below the knee, but it does depend on their shape.

One of the problems I've had on long rides in the wet before is that my knees get irritated by the waterproof trousers rubbing over the top of the knee cap. Hence wanting something shorter. I've intentionally cut these off so they don't touch the knee.

J
--

« Reply #62 on: 18 October, 2019, 08:49:09 pm »
The real answer is mudguards, even if only the plastic tail-like clip-on kind.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #63 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »

How will that provide more protection than my large ortlieb saddle bag sticking out over the wheel?

I really fucking hate mudguards.

J
--

« Reply #64 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:24:24 pm »

How will that provide more protection than my large ortlieb saddle bag sticking out over the wheel?

I really fucking hate mudguards.

J

You get a wet arse.  So do I when I ride without guards.  When I ride with guards my arse stays pretty dry.

But whatever.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:54:33 pm »
You get a wet arse.  So do I when I ride without guards.  When I ride with guards my arse stays pretty dry.

But whatever.

Mud guards squeak, and rattle, and make weird noises in the wind, and they gum up with mud and other crap...

Maybe I'm just very unlucky, but I find them to be a right total utter completer pain in the arse.

J
--

« Reply #66 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:59:18 pm »

But whatever.

Badly fitted Mud guards squeak, and rattle, and make weird noises in the wind, and they gum up with mud and other crap...

FTFY

Maybe I'm just very unlucky, but I find them to be a right total utter completer pain in the arse.

Maybe.

« Reply #67 on: 18 October, 2019, 11:10:14 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of mudguards (because most of them are painful to adjust, often literally) but properly fitted they're less worse than all of the other options.

There was someone on the very wet Flatlands ignoring the mudguards rule but they had one of them big long saddlebags. They were absolutely covered in crap last I saw them.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #68 on: 18 October, 2019, 11:38:23 pm »
I saw some really, really nice mudguards fitted to a bike sold in a shop in London a few months ago. They were a gunmetal grey colour and fixed on really strongly, no risk of rattle at all. The problem for me is if I want full length guards that good I'd probably have to move down from 32mm to 28 at the widest and boy do I love me my comfy tyres.

On the town/Deliveroo bike I've gotten around this by chopping up bits of old milk bottle and zip tying them to the frame tubes which works surprisingly well. Ugly as sin though.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #69 on: 19 October, 2019, 06:27:24 am »
The real answer is a Velomobile!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #70 on: 19 October, 2019, 07:00:25 am »

Can someone explain the physics of how water gets from the wheel to the small bit of arse below my jacket, past this saddle bag?

J
--

« Reply #71 on: 19 October, 2019, 07:38:34 am »
Can be water spraying from the FRONT wheel as well. If I'm right, you won't stay dry unless you fit full front and rear mudguards. I can see that your fork seems to have quite a generous clearance, so fitting a mudguard should note be a problem.

A

« Reply #72 on: 19 October, 2019, 07:42:09 am »
Rode in that lovely horizontal rain here in your Netherlands yesterday. Dry arse... Mudguards work. Your waterproof shorts will give you (or, when I tried them, gave me) an uncomfortably sore sweaty arse. No one likes mudguards, they're just the lesser of two evils.

« Reply #73 on: 19 October, 2019, 07:50:28 am »

Can someone explain the physics of how water gets from the wheel to the small bit of arse below my jacket, past this saddle bag?

J
It did with my (similar) Blackburn seatpack. My shoulder blade area still got the spray, and it trickled downwards

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 19 October, 2019, 07:59:52 am »

J
It did with my (similar) Blackburn seatpack. My shoulder blade area still got the spray, and it trickled downwards
With some setups it doesn't even need to trickle down - you have a huge low air-pressure zone around your bum, so inevitably some water will get sucked in. The effect may even be worse at higher speeds - I haven't seen any science on the matter.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles