Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Knowledge / Re: The return of Bicycle Repair Man
« Last post by Paul H on Today at 04:01:01 pm »
I am starting to think about going on another tour and am wondering how long this fix might last. I thought I would reach out to see if there is anything you would recommend I do to ensure longevity of the frame? Is it possible to fix this part with the right tools?

Any help would be great!

Thanks very much,

Freddie
I'm not sure that dave still monitors this thread, I think he has retired.  But he did answer a similar question some years ago and I had a frame repaired in just the way he describes:
For a dodgy thread there is another fix that the purists throw their hands up and run for cover at! This is the cut and weld where a cut is made across the shell with a double hacksaw blade and then vee'd out with an angle grinder. I then TIG weld it from the centre outwards which shrinks the shell enough to cut a new thread. It could be classed as a bodge but it works and is far kinder to the frame. I have succesfully done hundreds of these over the last 30 years and had very few problems.

The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Thor on Today at 03:53:32 pm »
Little Red Rooster - Rolling Stones
OT Knowledge / Dodgy multimeter?
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 03:42:50 pm »
Last year I picked up a LIDL Parkside Multimeter PDM300 c3, for occasional home use. 
I've noticed that this YT vid shows the unit failing to detect high overload voltages "Dangerous Parkside multimeter".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxPIRtZb8Ck
What think the panel?  AFAIA there there are no 1000V sources inside UK homes...   Clearly, it's not a 'professional' device.  Stated AC range is up to 300V.

Someone else (video99 on YT) recommends the unit, but says not wise that it uses the same inputs to make current measurments as high impedance measurements...

No  I didn't look at reviews before* buying...  ;) :)
« Last post by De Sisti on Today at 03:25:45 pm »
Now then people, after an absence of some years here I am again. I used to get notifications when posts relevant to me appeared but for some reason they stopped then life got in the way and I lost contact. I notice my original thread is still pinned so it must be of some use :-D If I can be of any assistance to anyone feel free to ask. I have more or less retired now, l'm not doing any more framebuilding courses and only doing the odd bit of  building/repair work and painting just to keep myself off the streets although the farm keeps me busy, I seem to spend most of my time cutting grass.

Dave Yates
Where you at?
The Knowledge / Re: Handlebar stem with QR for storage
« Last post by robgul on Today at 03:20:30 pm »
Freewheeling / Re: Forumite spotting
« Last post by Peter on Today at 02:58:54 pm »
Who knows where the time goes .........
« Last post by FreddieOxland on Today at 02:57:48 pm »
Hi Dave (@Bicycle Repair Man),

Hope you are well.

I just wanted to reach out as I have been gifted a bike that you have built.

Peter Hopkins is a family friend of mine and after being left bikeless due to giving my touring bike away at the end of a tour from Leeds to Dakar. He very kindly offered me his Dave Yates bike. It was extremely exciting for me as I have never had such a fantastic bike before.

In the summer of 2022, I took the bike on a tour from Vancouver, Canada to Anchorage, Alaska over 3 months. There are some photos on my Instagram @The_Earth_Isnt_Flat.

I did however, have a slight issue which I was wondering if I could get advice for. Around 500km from the nearest bike shop, the pedals started to wobble, within the bottom bracket. I realise now that I should have just got a lift to get it fixed.

When I got to the town the bike shop said the thread of the bottom bracket had been ripped out and they could not screw a new one in. They said I would need a new bike. I spent the day in a coffee shop googling options and talking it through with friends. Fortunately, someone overheard and recommended I go speak to an artist with a workshop on the edge of town who is known to fix everything. I described the issue to the artist on the phone and he said he would weld a new bracket in so I could get to my finish line.

Once I arrived at their house, he said he could not possibly weld such a beautifully built bike and would only do it as a last resort. After a few hours of tinkering, he found a spacer which meant that the bracket would still bite on the tread and sent me on my way. The bike worked fine ever since.

I am starting to think about going on another tour and am wondering how long this fix might last. I thought I would reach out to see if there is anything you would recommend I do to ensure longevity of the frame? Is it possible to fix this part with the right tools?

Any help would be great!

Thanks very much,

Freddie
I drove out to Owston (nr Oakham) today to watch the Cicle Classic race.  I thought that the fact that it had been raining since midnight would make a tough race even tougher.  It didn't as they cancelled it  ::-)

I was a bit disappointed that they had wussed out then had problems getting home due to flooded roads so forgave them!
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 02:48:20 pm »
I knew it was a thing, but yesterday was the first time I'd seen someone hoovering their Shit Lawn (plastic). Ghastly stuff.
This merits a custodial sentence for the good of society. Or possibly being fed to ravens.
Just stopped raining after 12 hours or more.

Looks like it’s going to be 16 hours here. And it’s 6C. It’s forecast to be dry and double that tomorrow, and possibly treble it on Weds. Time will tell.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10