Author Topic: LEL2021 early entry  (Read 19270 times)

Re: LEL2021 early entry
« Reply #50 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:17:13 am »
I'm keen to apply to the ballot. However my money hasn't been returned from the lejog audax that didnt run this year. Is there any provision for returning entry fees if the event doesn't run/ covid as I need some assurances I am not recklessly throwing away money!

On this topic, the blurb on the entry page for those of us eligible to enter without ballot is:
you will be able to enter and pay [£350 full entry fee] immediately between 7-14 January 2021

Then on the terms and conditions page:
You can cancel your entry to London Edinburgh London anytime before 31 March 2021. We will refund any payment you have made, minus a £50 administration charge.

So it seems the COVID gamble is 50 quid, as long as I have £300 I don't need for six months, except that it's probably unlikely Daniel et al will pull the event for pandemic reasons by 31st March, actually making it a full £350 COVID gamble. :-\

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #51 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:42:46 am »
I don't know there was some talk a while ago that it may not be able to run in 2021.

Looking at the situation at the moment,  with cases constant in UK, rising in several European countries and high in USA i can't see it being viable to run.  To run an event with these numbers from many countries probably needs widespread vaccination.  I think its likely there will be approved vaccines by next spring,  but not definite.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #52 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:46:26 am »
The problem isn't having a vaccine that works and is approved for use (which looks like we could have by january in the US and UK, there are several good candidates that look to work well) but in having enough doses. The infrastructure for packaging, labelling, and storage is finite and necessarily stringent so difficult to expand quickly enough (this is why they are gambling and synthesising and packaging doses i advance of approval to get a jump on the production). I'd be hopeful that by next summer we'll have healthcare workers and more vulnerable populations covered but doubt we'll have a national program of vaccination completed before next winter. (my take as a virology researcher/ex-pharma industry person).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

« Reply #53 on: 24 August, 2020, 12:04:39 pm »
So it seems the COVID gamble is 50 quid, as long as I have £300 I don't need for six months, except that it's probably unlikely Daniel et al will pull the event for pandemic reasons by 31st March, actually making it a full £350 COVID gamble. :-\

Yeah, the terms are silent on what happens if the event is postponed or cancelled or there are lockdown/quarantine rules that render it impractical for you to attend.

tbh I can only see it happening in X-rated form with no canteens or sleeping halls, which means you won't be getting your £350 worth even if you ride it.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #54 on: 24 August, 2020, 12:36:40 pm »

Yeah, the terms are silent on what happens if the event is postponed or cancelled or there are lockdown/quarantine rules that render it impractical for you to attend.

tbh I can only see it happening in X-rated form with no canteens or sleeping halls, which means you won't be getting your £350 worth even if you ride it.
Although the trend do say you can cancel up to 31st March for most of a refund.  Whether the picture on 31st of March will be more clear than now is another question.
And of course the organisers will not want large numbers of cancellations at end of March when people get cold feet.

« Reply #55 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:42:06 pm »
You seem to have all missed that Danial said he's not even sure if it'll run next year, and if it does what the format will be, and that the next decision point is November 2020.  So just bide your time and see where we are in November when the next announcement will be made. 

« Reply #56 on: 24 August, 2020, 03:08:58 pm »
You seem to have all missed that Danial said he's not even sure if it'll run next year, and if it does what the format will be, and that the next decision point is November 2020.  So just bide your time and see where we are in November when the next announcement will be made.

You're absolutely right, I missed that if it was on the website. Thanks for the heads up.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #57 on: 27 August, 2020, 02:40:37 pm »
I know that everything will be up in the air tight now re. what LEL will look like in 2021 with the coronavirus situation, but I was wondering about eligibility. I had an issue with my direct debit setup so my membership lapsed for 1 day on 1st January. I'm no longer on the excel for a guaranteed place, but i hope that there may be a bit if wiggle room. Wondering who i need to beg to, Caroline Fenton or Alwyn?

Did you check for your membership number in the linkbin the post directly above yours?

https://audax.uk/static-data/lel-2021-auk-members-guaranteed-entry/

« Reply #58 on: 27 August, 2020, 02:51:16 pm »
I know that everything will be up in the air tight now re. what LEL will look like in 2021 with the coronavirus situation, but I was wondering about eligibility. I had an issue with my direct debit setup so my membership lapsed for 1 day on 1st January. I'm no longer on the excel for a guaranteed place, but i hope that there may be a bit if wiggle room. Wondering who i need to beg to, Caroline Fenton or Alwyn?

Did you check for your membership number in the linkbin the post directly above yours?

https://audax.uk/static-data/lel-2021-auk-members-guaranteed-entry/
Yes, i'm not on the list. Will just have to wait for the ballot probably. If i don't get in i'll help out at Eskdalemuir/Innerleithen if needed. Win win

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #59 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:20:21 pm »
Serious thought and discussion is at the top of the on going agenda for the 21 or 22 query.  Danial is aiming for an update on our views in Nov. 

I am hoping that 21 is still on .. but we agree  it has to be a full LEL .. not some half baked affair.

I hope to be able to get a delay on a final decision until as late as possible .. maybe even 31st march 21. If this scenario began to play out .. then the existing timetable for all guaranteed entries , next ballot etc etc .. would obviously have to be amended to reflect the fact that there was still uncertainty in Jan / Feb about putting up a large entry fee with no certainty the event was going to run. My further guess is that the cutoff date to get most of your money back might well stand, as  we do need some clarification of the money position, rather than finding that quite late on we get a lot of withdrawals expecting to get a big refund. But this is my own view late at night without thinking about the problem much.. given that the far bigger query is 21 or 22.
Hope this is useful .
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #60 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:32:45 pm »
Am so glad that is your decision, not mine. Very tough one. I'm pleased I'm not faced with this. A balance of risk, reward, riders' wish to ride, volunteers' wish to not get ill, a judgment on the financial risk, will there be enough riders to make it work without that international contingent, and so on.
Over to you....
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #61 on: 28 August, 2020, 09:18:33 am »
While I've been one of the advocates for getting perms and x rated events back on. I think it is unlikely LEL will run. The decision must be taken in March, but what do you need to see at that time to make the decision to go ahead? The virus will not be eradicated.  Its provable that a vaccine will be approved,  but the roll out of that vaccine in all countries will take a long time. Would LEL with no overseas entrants be desirable? Probably not and I would be surprised if we could say with certainty in March that afull international LEL could run in August.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #62 on: 28 August, 2020, 03:25:18 pm »
Very much agree with what you say but it's possible to see it running with a tiny international contingent and very much reduced numbers, enforced by social distancing in the controls. I can see it is quite possible to make it happen. It'd be smaller I'm sure and it'd still have much of - but nowhere near - the famous LEL atmos. That's why it's a tough decision.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #63 on: 28 August, 2020, 03:52:31 pm »
Very much tongue in cheek!!  I have seen that one tropical resort in Brazil is requiring a positive swab result or antibody test for anybody who wants to attend the resort.  We could run LEL on the same basis.  All volunteers and riders need to have a certificate to say they have had Covid!!

simonp

« Reply #64 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:30:50 pm »
Very much tongue in cheek!!  I have seen that one tropical resort in Brazil is requiring a positive swab result or antibody test for anybody who wants to attend the resort.  We could run LEL on the same basis.  All volunteers and riders need to have a certificate to say they have had Covid!!

Given that there are now multiple known cases of reinfection, this is of questionable value. Particularly in the case of the Nevada incidence, where the patient was much more sick the second time around.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #65 on: 28 August, 2020, 05:55:13 pm »
While I've been one of the advocates for getting perms and x rated events back on. I think it is unlikely LEL will run. The decision must be taken in March, but what do you need to see at that time to make the decision to go ahead? The virus will not be eradicated.  Its provable that a vaccine will be approved,  but the roll out of that vaccine in all countries will take a long time. Would LEL with no overseas entrants be desirable? Probably not and I would be surprised if we could say with certainty in March that afull international LEL could run in August.

With UK.Gov ending furlough, chances are there's going to be a lot of people unable to afford such big events and travel anyway.
Similar balance in other countries where people may or may not be able to travel for a variety of reasons.

For example:
Until a few days ago NHS Scotland had a holiday policy that effectively banned foreign travel without management approval as home working was categorically not an option for handling 2 week quarantine.
It's since been fixed in that if you find yourself having to quarantine for 2 weeks having gone on holiday without that requirement at the time you went, line managers do now have an option to approve home working, fine for me but plenty of others can't do their jobs from home. And still at line managers discression.

So there may be a lot of people who simply can't travel if they want to keep their job, and who would want to lose a secure job when plenty of others are losing theirs while the global economy continues to collapse (which it will for a bit yet no matter what steps are taken)

Davef

« Reply #66 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:45:15 pm »
You could make proof of vaccination a requirement of entry. The cost of vaccination is likely to be low compared to the cost of travel.

« Reply #67 on: 28 August, 2020, 07:07:45 pm »

Given that there are now multiple known cases of reinfection, this is of questionable value. Particularly in the case of the Nevada incidence, where the patient was much more sick the second time around.
Simon. I did say tongue in cheek!!

« Reply #68 on: 15 September, 2020, 05:50:17 pm »
LEL 2021 will collides with the 2020 Olympics (as they are still called, despite being held in 2021) I am not suggesting that many potential LEL riders will also enter the Olympics, but maybe it should be taken into account?

A

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #69 on: 15 September, 2020, 06:15:37 pm »
LEL 2021 will collides with the 2020 Olympics (as they are still called, despite being held in 2021) I am not suggesting that many potential LEL riders will also enter the Olympics, but maybe it should be taken into account?

Isn't it a bit much to go from London to Edinburgh via Tokyo? It's really taking the pee to do it on the return leg too...

Sorry...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #70 on: 15 September, 2020, 06:18:47 pm »

A

I believe they are going to move the Olympics due to the clash.

« Reply #71 on: 15 September, 2020, 06:35:11 pm »

A

I believe they are going to move the Olympics due to the clash.

Of course, LEL was the first to set its dates.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #72 on: 27 October, 2020, 09:29:26 am »
From BookFace:

"Regrettably, we have decided to postpone LEL2021 until 2022. Even though the world has made huge progress in combatting Covid-19, we are not confident that the world will recover by next year.
LEL2021 will now take place on 7 August 2022.
If you already have a guaranteed place because you have paid a deposit, we will hold this for you. However if you decide you no longer want to take part, then please email us at 2021@londonedinburghlondon.com before 31 December 2020 for a full refund of your deposit. From 1 January 2021 our usual rules will apply.
If you are looking for a guaranteed place because you are a member of Audax UK or Audax Ireland, you will need to keep your membership for an additional year.
If you are looking for a guaranteed place because of qualifying LRM events, then you will need to have completed a LRM-validated in four of the five years 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
We will write to everyone over the next few days. In the meantime if you have any questions then please ask them here."

« Reply #73 on: 27 October, 2020, 12:07:04 pm »
Bugger.

« Reply #74 on: 27 October, 2020, 12:28:01 pm »
From BookFace:

"Regrettably, we have decided to postpone LEL2021 until 2022. Even though the world has made huge progress in combatting Covid-19, we are not confident that the world will recover by next year.
LEL2021 will now take place on 7 August 2022.
If you already have a guaranteed place because you have paid a deposit, we will hold this for you. However if you decide you no longer want to take part, then please email us at 2021@londonedinburghlondon.com before 31 December 2020 for a full refund of your deposit. From 1 January 2021 our usual rules will apply.
If you are looking for a guaranteed place because you are a member of Audax UK or Audax Ireland, you will need to keep your membership for an additional year.
If you are looking for a guaranteed place because of qualifying LRM events, then you will need to have completed a LRM-validated in four of the five years 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
We will write to everyone over the next few days. In the meantime if you have any questions then please ask them here."

Note: as of 1 hour ago only on the main Facebook page, not on the website or the volunteers Facebook (but that undoubtedly will follow). Given the evolution of the world (inside and outside UK) and the pandemic this is probably a wise decision, no matter how much we might not like it.
I am now volunteer for 2022 (and will go to my niece's wedding in august 2021 - unless that gets moved yet again, due to YKW)