Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753420 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7375 on: 18 July, 2015, 01:06:11 pm »
Right folks, not sure any of you are particularly interested but I thought I'd give an update on where I am with the new bike....

Frame: 2015 Croix De Fer Stainless
Wheels: Pacenti SL23 on Novatec Hubs with Sapim Strong Spokes.
 - Planning on running them tubeless with the Schwalbe 1 set up, I think
 - Decided against the Dyno Hub for now as I am happy with the Vision 1 light set up.
 - Getting them built as the Cycle Clinic give a cracking Guarantee
Headset: Hope Threadless
 - Decided to go with the hope and forego the FSA one that came with the bike. Do it once do it right and all that.
Bottom Bracket: Hope PF41 - Again spend the extra and hopefully get it right first time
Groupset:Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed
Brakes: TRP HYRD courtesy of a cracking deal with OD (OTP)
Saddle: yet to be decided but I got a loan of a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved which feels good on the commute and will get a longer run out this weekend.
Mudguards: Velo Orange Hammered, Gile Berthoud Stainless or PDW Full Metal fenders all under consideration at the moment.

Bars, seatpost and other finishing items to be decided yet but I feel like the bigger decisions are made. The wheels will be done in about 3 weeks so hopefully I might be able to break the bike out for the Flitch bikes ride.....would it be wrong to ride PBP on a new bike  ::-) :facepalm:

Keeping up with the gossip whilst sipping red wine and eating cheese, this prompted me to investigate the CdF...

I quite like the new Marin Geshalt 3 but there isn't a release date for that yet, a frame and build it yourself looked appealing.

I need a more appropriate "touring" bike, I was planning on joining the 'not the Fridays' tour of France/Belgium & Holland in early Sept, the Rose is great, but I cant really carry anything on it for longer than a day ride - so need to sort out a bike for that....

I was hoping to so I had been eyeing up the use of our C2W scheme... problem is (for some crazy reason) our scheme closes 20th July (Monday) so unlikely to get astride one before then.... though I have been tempted by the Tour De Fer at Evans - I could get this sorted on Monday but I am umming and arring over the frame size... Evans only have the 54cm frame, and the Rose is a 55cm (and from my bike fit, recommendation is a little larger as I'm 176cm - so an in-between frame size!)...

See what you've started! :D

I'll ummm and arrrr a bit more today over the TdF (or even the Dawes Gal Plus)....
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7376 on: 18 July, 2015, 08:43:07 pm »
You must cast your eye over Fred the Disc Trucker. Very much a touring bike.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7377 on: 19 July, 2015, 12:22:43 am »
I was hoping to sort out under the C2W scheme at work, but with the deadline on Monday - looks like I will be back to having a little time to look around..  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7378 on: 20 July, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »
Is it The Compasses this week (the one at Littley Green)?
My legs don't necessarily need many miles on Wednesday and due to colonial interruption I may miss the peloton leaving Witham but will endeavour to meet you at the selected destination.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7379 on: 20 July, 2015, 06:44:46 pm »
 :thumbsup: Compasses

I think Soupy + mates might be going there - Mrs T says to twist his arm and get him to ask for a job there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7380 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:35:15 pm »
 :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7381 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:33:53 pm »
My legs don't necessarily need many miles on Wednesday and due to colonial interruption I may miss the peloton leaving Witham but will endeavour to meet you at the selected destination.

Fully retracted comment, seems like several weeks ago TCMT-H got in with booking me out at The Indian Ocean on Wednesday  :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7382 on: 21 July, 2015, 06:41:23 am »
Shall we all go to The Indian Ocean then?!?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7383 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:03:37 am »
Shall we all go to The Indian Ocean then?!?
:thumbsup:

« Reply #7384 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:05:41 am »

Fully retracted comment, seems like several weeks ago TCMT-H got in with booking me out at The Indian Ocean on Wednesday  :-\
Better make sure it's not your Wedding Anniversary too!   :o

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7385 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:16:17 am »

Safe on that one, it's more than a month away

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7386 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:18:38 am »

Safe on that one, it's more than a month away

To which of yours spouses are you referring?  The female one or one of your growing number of Bus Shelter Buddies?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7387 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:22:31 am »
Not saying  :-X

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7388 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:43:04 am »
Tart. That is all.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7389 on: 21 July, 2015, 09:15:48 am »
To which of yours spouses are you referring?  The female one or one of your growing number of Bus Shelter Buddies?
Tart. That is all.
What I will say is that the dates of those anniversaries in September are quite close, so no one should feel rejected  :-*

Obviously my bus shelter experience with Tedshed was in May and shall always remain unique in its own way

« Reply #7390 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »
Not sure I can make it this week but happy to go to the compasses if I can get out...I am working from home and Catherine is back from her School trip so it is all possible. I hit the Compasses on Sunday after breaking a spoke on the back wheel and getting a little lost due to Garmin issues. Nearly 2 pints in the rest of the Tiptree lot called me asking if I was ok, jolly nice chaps but I was just contemplating if a third was in order.

Anyway, the upside of working from home this week is I got to take my deliveries of parts and hide them away from prying eyes. A Hope Pressfit bottom bracket yesterday and today some very nice indeed Gilles Berthoud Stainless Steel Mudguards.

« Reply #7391 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »
Anyway, the upside of working from home this week is I got to take my deliveries of parts and hide them away from prying eyes. A Hope Pressfit bottom bracket yesterday and today some very nice indeed Gilles Berthoud Stainless Steel Mudguards.
Some nice presents for the kids there tippers, they'll be fighting over the s/s mudguards!  ;D

« Reply #7392 on: 21 July, 2015, 03:11:54 pm »
As long as they don't scratch them!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7393 on: 21 July, 2015, 03:34:17 pm »
tippers, you've partially broken another wheel  :o Was it a wheel you built yourself?

« Reply #7394 on: 21 July, 2015, 03:51:11 pm »
Yep it was.....too much tension in the spokes I expect.....must try again and taken even more time on the final few steps....I will get there and now I (nearly) have a man cave things can be done without the need of packing it all away at the end of the session.

I am glad I got the wheels built by someone that knows what they are doing for the new bike and I have ordered a new set of Open Pro/105 wheels from Rose Bikes for timings sake (and I am too scared to make 'the call'). The wheels from Rose I have on the commuter have been brilliant so perfectly happy to go the çheap' route and now that my derailleur is really honestly set up right I shall be fine, I think!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7395 on: 22 July, 2015, 06:55:59 am »
Hello folks, who is in the Witham peloton tonight?  Barring earthquakes, plagues of locusts or any other unforeseen episodes I shall be at the roundabout at 7:30pm as usual.  I has a route to offer, its THIS ONE.

« Reply #7396 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:44:46 am »
Me  :thumbsup:

If Tippers is going to make it I might start at Tiptree.  Sister Carol Fandango was also thinking about starting there.

Otherwise I might be lazy and start at Spa as your route seems a bit longer post-Compasses than Huggy's classic route (just an observation rather than a complaint given that we have been north east of the A12 so frequently recently  O:-).

If you let Fandango and I navigate we could probably double it without even meaning it  :facepalm: 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #7397 on: 22 July, 2015, 03:54:13 pm »
Damn it...I am not going to make it tonight... :'( Work is killing me although riding on 35 spokes probably wouldn't be the smartest idea anyway and I am not riding the commuter at your moderate pace!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7398 on: 22 July, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »
I might make it out tonight, but I'm not sure I'll make the peloton rendezvous.  I'll make my own way to the Compasses, attempting to overlap with the published route and maybe see folks before the pub (unless OD isn't actualy following it at the time I intersect ;)).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7399 on: 22 July, 2015, 05:03:26 pm »
THIS ONE.

um... Trades Description Act violation!! the title says "inc TMNH" whereas that route clearly misses the official start point!  I'd put it no higher than 0.95 of a TMNH!!!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike